CHP Closes Highway 154 After Subject Jumps from Cold Spring Bridge

CHP Closes Highway 154 After Subject Jumps from Cold Spring Bridge title=
CHP Closes Highway 154 After Subject Jumps from Cold Spring Bridge
Cold Spring Bridge (photo: wikipedia)
Update by edhat staff
6:30 p.m., April 5, 2019

Highway 154 and Stagecoach Road are closed after a person jumped off Cold Spring Bridge early Friday evening.

Santa Barbara County Firefighters along with the Los Padres National Forest firefighters and Santa Barbara County Search and Rescue responded to the report. On arrival, crews found a white truck parked in the eastbound lanes of Highway 154.

California Highway Patrol reports a citizen on the scene reported someone had jumped off the bridge. Crews were able to visualize the victim down below. According to scanner reports, the victim did not survive.

As of 6:20 p.m., Highway 154 was reopened. Stagecoach Road is currently closed and an estimated time to re-open is unknown.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 and is a toll-free hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Call 1-800-273-8255.

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy
5:26 p.m., April 5, 2019

Jumper from the Cold Springs Bridge.

Luvaduck Apr 07, 2019 06:04 PM
CHP Closes Highway 154 After Subject Jumps from Cold Spring Bridge

Didn't we just pay a whole bunch of money to put up a barrier that screws up the view to prevent this sort of thing? If so, since it doesn't work, why not take it down and make an easy access road below to pick up jumpers?

a-1561436445 Apr 07, 2019 03:36 PM
CHP Closes Highway 154 After Subject Jumps from Cold Spring Bridge

I contemplated taking this action many times. But found a place called Rythmia in Costa Rica and I was cute of depression. I know look at life in such a different perspective and no longer have depression. I love my self so much now that I can’t believe I ever was that low. If you have questions please ask me. If you go tell them Araceli sent you

Flicka Apr 06, 2019 02:41 PM
CHP Closes Highway 154 After Subject Jumps from Cold Spring Bridge

My heart goes out to anyone thinking life isn't worth living. Also to the responders who have to deal with recovering the body. Maybe instead of relying on the barrier a sign could be put up to tell would be jumpers to think about how awful the people involved in picking up their body will suffer from the experience.

PitMix Apr 08, 2019 09:54 AM
CHP Closes Highway 154 After Subject Jumps from Cold Spring Bridge

When you are in that state you can't think of anything except how bad you feel. Otherwise people would think of their friends and family and realize what trauma they would suffer also. I'm okay with the barrier if it saved even one life. When I'm driving on that road I'm not looking at the view, I'm trying to avoid an accident with the tailgaters and illegal passers and the like.

Sprigofsage Apr 07, 2019 09:38 AM
CHP Closes Highway 154 After Subject Jumps from Cold Spring Bridge

Interesting idea, Flicka. I watched a documentary once regarding jumpers off of the Golden Gate Bridge. One man that survived the jump said as soon as he let go he realized he'd made a HUGE mistake! Can you imagine. RIP to these souls.