Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers title=

By edhat staff

The U.S. Census Bureau will pay $21/hour for part-time workers to collect data for the upcoming 2020 count.

With the holidays now over, people are encouraged to take advantage of the many job opportunities the Census has available to replenish their wallets. They are offering thousands of jobs, but applications must be submitted soon in order to be considered for a spring start date.

The Census survey asks residents to answer questions about how many people are living in the home, their ages, race, home ownership, and more. Government funding for the local community is based on these answers.

After the census release date, employees will knock on doors and follow up on incomplete surveys.

Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, be a U.S. citizen or be legally able to work in the U.S., and have a valid e-mail account.

The government is offering compensation starting at $21 per hour in the Santa Barbara area and includes flexible schedules, weekly paychecks, and paid training.

Applicants can apply online at 2020census.gov/jobs.

a-1578694654 Jan 10, 2020 02:17 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

In 2010 I was an "enumerator." Going door-to-door is the easy part. The paperwork isn't as fun. It's not easy trying to keep track of your hours and vehicle mileage. This job is a great way to see more of Santa Barbara and how others live. My favorite part was seeing peoples' gardens. And meeting those who were friendly and even invited me in for juice or soda drink. This job is not for the faint of heart, however, as some people can be downright nasty. You just have to go with the flow.

pstarSR Jan 10, 2020 06:08 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

People seem to think this is spying or ICE but its not. So they treat the workers ( fellow citizens from their own city) like creeps. Kinda sad as the census provides data for goverment grants and subsidies that they could likely use if they dont already. Be nice, its just a question. “How many people live here?” Its not an interrogation, its not a scam.

d8vanilla Jan 10, 2020 05:49 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

My daughter did it one year, and had a couple bad experiences. The workers are allowed to request someone go with them, but my daughter went alone, well, except I went with her to do a couple shady follow-ups. I don't think she would ever do that job again !

a-1578722584 Jan 10, 2020 10:03 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

02:17 PM here again. I worked in Santa Barbara and Montecito all through the summer of 2010 as an enumerator and had VERY FEW bad experiences with people . The job was to help residents who, for whatever reason, had not sent in their census info. A couple times an especially recalcitrant individual was handed off to me by a team member. Each time I was able to gain that person's trust and obtain the necessary details. Generally all it took was a bit of explaining as to why the US Census is so important. Out of the 100s of people with whom I spoke, only a handful were a lost cause. The most laughable incident for me was when, and this happened a few times, people would "pretend" not to be home and then I would catch them sneaking a look out from behind their curtains/drapes. One woman in particular seemed to think I was going to turn her in for being in an illegal rental (not our job as Census workers). After going to her place of residence five times, leaving nice notes, I gave up on her. One ultra conservative couple did get a bit "ugly" about it all, ranting on about government interference and so on. I simply told them that they could soon expect a visit from a Sheriff's Department officer. All-in-all it was not a boring job and quite enlightening. If you consider yourself a "people person" and capable of self-motivation on the job, you should try "working The Census."

a-1578723180 Jan 10, 2020 10:13 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

The trump administration is using the Homeland Security Department to augment the 2020 Census to enable a listing of citizenship. That question had been withdrawn from the Census forms over objections. Therefore I will not participate in the Census.

a-1578756727 Jan 11, 2020 07:32 AM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

PS - I did work the Census in 2010 and it was interesting to see the differences in housing in the City! But it was important to quite a few people to be able to tell them there was not a question on citizenship, that their legal status was not important. It was clear that quite a few people would not have been willing to answer questions if there had been a question about their residency status.

a-1578756757 Jan 11, 2020 07:32 AM

Luvaduck Jan 11, 2020 08:48 AM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

No citizenship question. Struck down by courts. It would have resulted in not counting the people most reliant on public funded services and resulted in less federal money to states to fund those services. Very bad for California. An attractive idea in places unconcerned about the consequences of underfunding children's education, disease prevention and lack of job training on everyone. Classic "bite off your nose to spite your face," attempt at dealing with illegal immigration.

a-1578759147 Jan 11, 2020 08:12 AM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

The census takers are allowed to ask what race a person is. Therefore, I see no reason that they should not collect citizenship information.

When one applies for a job the citizenship question is asked but the employer is not allowed to ask the race question.

Crazy situation.

Lucky 777 Jan 11, 2020 12:31 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

I was an enumerator for the 1980 census. On that form on one side it asked for your race, then on the other side it asked if you were Hispanic or not. MANY people did not answer both. So they mail in their form, and then an enumerator is sent out to ask that question. I picked the jail as my responsibility and was thoroughly shocked to walk into the caged area and interact with the inmates. Very eye-opening. I had no idea the inmates are separated by race into the cages, and the Mexicans separated by gang affiliation. It was loud, and I was a rare sight as a young girl with a clipboard and a stack of forms, coming to ask the miscreants what race they were. It was like viewing barking dogs at the pound.

Roger Jan 11, 2020 01:28 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

In 1980 a Black inmate was placed in the cell with Hispanic inmates he was beaten nearly to death in Santa Barbara county Jail the jail commander got fired over it...I was in jail there before that happened and I was put in the cell with Hispanics also. I got in a fight with a dope addict and his buddies but other Hispanics backed me up it pays to look like Jerry Garcia.. Not to hijack the thread but the separation in county jail was over the beating of the black man.

shorebird Jan 11, 2020 03:13 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

It is the job of the Classification Department in any jail to decide where a detainee will be housed. Their job is to figure out what the safest place will be. That it looks like racial sorting is a by product of safe inmate management. A jail is not a place to experiment with desegregation.

pxn Jan 11, 2020 03:47 PM
Census Bureau Looking for Local Part-Time Workers

There is no citizenship question on the census. However, the Department of Homeland inSecurity is teaming up with the Census to create a listing of citizens. Google it at CNN 2020/01/07/politics/census-homeland-security/index.html

Homeland Security department to provide individual citizenship data to census
Washington (CNN)US Department of Homeland Security officials will share individual citizenship data with the Census Bureau, according to a recent privacy notice from the department.
It's an undertaking assigned by President Donald Trump, who last summer announced the administration would abandon its effort to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census form after a legal battle that ended up in the Supreme Court.
Trump ordered the Census Bureau to compile citizenship data through existing government data, known as administrative records.
The records from US Citizenship and Immigration Services and Customs and Border Protection will match up with other demographic data the Census Bureau and Commerce Department capture on each citizen and individual in the country.