By an edhat reader

Is now a good time to change the air filters on our cars or should we wait a little longer due to the Thomas Fire ash?

cbilly Dec 27, 2017 04:29 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

I agree with the guy who told everyone to calm down. Does everyone realize how much money the mask companies made? You my have got yours free but someone paid for it. I'd check your car air filters for rats chewing on them - that is worth worrying about.

ginny Dec 27, 2017 01:31 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

The cabin filter on my Subaru is behind the glove compartment

dogslife Dec 27, 2017 07:56 AM
Car Air Filter Change?

We changed both cabin and engine filters on our truck and they needed it! It was rewarding to do it ourselves with the help of You Tube. We bought two air purifiers at BOB's Vacuum, and we hosed down our whole house and property from roof to sidewalks. We then cleaned out our drain and the ball of ash was like solid concrete! This stuff is nasty and everyone should do their part to clean up! And NO blowers PLEASE! woof woof

dogslife Dec 28, 2017 08:07 AM
Car Air Filter Change?

I sure hope you don't live in my neighborhood! Ewww...I can only imagine.

a-1516608428 Dec 28, 2017 08:08 AM
Car Air Filter Change?

I sure hope you don't live in my neighborhood! Ewww...I can only imagine.

CivilEngineer Dec 27, 2017 02:38 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

Bet the City freaks out when they read your comment. Imagine everyone in SB hosing down their house and sidewalks. Drought? What drought? The people that pushed the desal project look like geniuses now.

a-1516608428 Dec 27, 2017 10:44 AM
Car Air Filter Change?

Ash is base, not acid. What information do you have that adding water to it makes it acid?

a-1516608428 Dec 27, 2017 10:27 AM
Car Air Filter Change?

It's even nastier when you add water to it, that makes it really acidic and if that gets on paint, including car paint, bye bye. I hope you cleaned up well after using water.

a-1516608428 Dec 27, 2017 06:26 AM
Car Air Filter Change?

Man the media really shook people into a frenzy over this fire - that's how they make their money b/c fear response makes us pay attention where as good news doesnt. Those masks are only a fraction better than not wearing one at all, anyone who reads closely knows that, they don't keep out all the particles at all. But they made alot of money! As for your air filter, it's probably just fine. If you are that freaked out, pull it out, tap it and put it back. Only if the glue is coming apart do you need a new one. As for the engine filter - talk about misinformation! Calm down everyone.

jqb Dec 27, 2017 11:51 AM
Car Air Filter Change?

Still trolling eh? Even after I proved how evil you are by showing that you ripped a quote out of context, thereby misleading people about the dangers of ash in the air.

Tran Farkenton Dec 26, 2017 08:37 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

Media sells fear and the city is logically covering itself for insurance purposes by handing out masks. The "toxic ash" is just burnt up wood. No worse than standing near a perpetually burning campfire. I'd say your air filter is just fine. If it is relatively new, just remove it, tap out the dust and replace it. If it's old, replace it.

a-1516608428 Dec 26, 2017 11:51 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

Standing next a campfire is actually not great for you at all, nor are wood-burning stoves in the home. I do agree most air filters are probably fine, but it is a very cheap precaution to take anyway.

sb805777 Dec 26, 2017 06:14 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

Vary few cars/trucks have cabin air filters check your manual I just spent 89$ at Buinnin Chevy to replace my 2010 Tahoe cabin air filter then found out my truck didn't have one...WATCH OUT FOR THIS CHARGE.

CivilEngineer Dec 26, 2017 03:19 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

I've been to LA twice in the last few days and feel better when I am there. When I come back to SB I get wheezy and have a harder time breathing. Who ever thought that it would be better to be in LA?

CivilEngineer Dec 26, 2017 03:17 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

I changed my engine filter on Saturday and it wasn't too bad. I don't remember doing it for the last 20,000 miles, and it was a FRAM filter, so my mechanic hasn't done it either (only uses Honda parts). There was just a little bit of ash in the filter and I commute to Ventura and did so on several days with fires burning next to the 101. So it looked much better than I expected. I bought the cabin filter but have never done this and don't know where it might be. Expect to watch some you-tube videos on this before I try.

tagdes Dec 26, 2017 12:32 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

When you quit wearing your mask outside it is safe to change your air filters. Air has been no worse than moderate lately here so as good or better than daily in LA. The first poster must work for an auto parts store and if you put one in now you shouldn't need another for about 15,000 miles. Cars engines are a bit sturdier than our lungs so the only damage other than lower mileage and higher emissions would be your spark plugs. Do change both the engine and the cabin filters contrary to 2nd posters' thoughts that does not appear to be what the 1st one is saying.

a-1516608428 Dec 26, 2017 12:11 PM
Car Air Filter Change?

I like the first comment's idea of 2 filters. Remember you have 2 filters, one for cabin air, and one for the engine. Both usually very cheap and easy to install yourself (on par with windshield wipers or headlight bulbs)

a-1516608428 Dec 26, 2017 11:40 AM
Car Air Filter Change?

Buy two filters. Immediately replace current filter, then in a couple weeks, put in the other.