Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza title=
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

The Vons location in La Cumbre Plaza will close this September to make way for Bristol Farms, reports KEYT.

Vons is scheduled to close on September 14 after 51 years in that location.

Bristol Farms is described as an upscale grocery store chain that was founded in Los Angeles County. They currently operate fifteen stores with twelve being in Southern California and one in San Francisco. The company also owns the two Lazy Acres Market locations, one on the Mesa and another in Long Beach.

Bristol Farms has not yet made an announcement on the store opening.

paglinsb Jun 20, 2018 01:40 PM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Perhaps, like me, many shoppers have diverted to Smart & Final at La Cumbre and Grocery Outlet on De La Vina. Those two, plus Trader Joe's lessen my grocery bills. The staff at Von's AND Ralph's on Carrillo could not be more helpful or pleasant, but unfortunately the money determines my main shopping choices.

Curmudgeon Jun 20, 2018 11:45 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Does anyone remember Smith's Food King? I recall they had decent quality at reasonable prices. Used to be several here in the 1970s and later. Now a division of Kroger.

a-1537462155 Jun 20, 2018 11:38 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Sorry to learn of this, as there always seem to be quite a number of seniors who shop there. I bet BF won't be kind to their budgets. Gelson's is a lovely place to shop, apart from that atrocious tile floor. Rolling a cart around in Gelson's is an obnoxiously noisy shopping experience.

bosco Jun 20, 2018 10:32 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

I always forgot that Vons existed. No complaints about BF, it serves a particular market and it's nice to have different places to go for high end produce/meat every now and then. I just wouldn't make it a daily place to get your staple (that's what TJs is for). On another note, I really don't get the love for Gelson's in this thread. IMO it's Vons quality for Whole Foods prices.

Curmudgeon Jun 20, 2018 11:21 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Gelson's - VERY clean, great deli selection and hot carving station plus an excellent daily soup island. And, many competitive prices on things we buy regularly (watch for sales) coupled with the 20% off mailings you get when you sign up for email info. Overall good, sometimes great, value to me.

a-1537462155 Jun 20, 2018 10:28 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

The Von's at Turnpike/Hollister is the best one of any I've seen. As a side note, they carry many gluten-free products. During the holidays last year, I asked the manager about gluten-free pumpkin pies and he special ordered and put them out for everyone to get a chance at them. Great guy. Also, in the freezer section, there's a gf apple pie that you bake. Only about $7. And, they have gf baguettes in another area of the store. Produce excellent, including organic, top choices.

Curmudgeon Jun 20, 2018 11:13 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Sadly, the big Albertson's merger mess coupled with the subsequent Haggen's fiasco caused the best Vons to vanish - Von's FAIRVIEW. By far the best Vons we've had here.

a-1537462155 Jun 20, 2018 10:57 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

We also like the Turnpike Vons. It is certainly not an 'exciting' shopping venture but mostly it is responsive to the customers and the produce and meat departments are solid and helpful. Only problem has been occasionally 'attitude' issues at the deli counter. Because of the location there is a large parking lot which is also nice, unlike Gelson's or other 'upscale' stores (especially TJs).

RHS Jun 20, 2018 10:27 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Ugh. A decent store like Vons with properly hired employees and modest profit expectations is sold out to another image and exploitative merchandiser. I know that many in Montecito were apparently embarrassed to acknowledge that they shopped there but it will be missed.

sbdude Jun 20, 2018 10:11 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

It’s not like Vons was so great but we don’t need another upscale grocery on upper State. I already don’t shop at Gelsons or Whole Foods because they’re so expensive, should I add Bristol Farms to that list too?

TomTomTomTom Jun 20, 2018 09:45 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Yes! That Vons is a bit trashy, while Bristol is clean and fresh. You can find your processed garbage 'food' down the street at Smart n Final if so inclined...

bigone Jun 20, 2018 09:12 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

I agree with Monkeyboy that this particular Vons was really an underachiever, especially in that neighborhood close to Hope Ranch. I very rarely shopped there and, indeed, Redbox was the only good thing. As far as Bristol Farms, I really don't get it as we already have Gelson's with their great selection of produce, meat, and fish and, to a lessor degree, Whole Foods. Plus, I see Bristol Farms cannibalizing business from their own Lazy Acres, the latter being essentially a mini- Bristol Farms. I used to stop at BF when they had a store in Westlake on my way back from business in L.A. and the meat and fish selections were first class, although the produce section really wasn't anything to write home about. They also stocked a large selection of cheese, although too exotic for the most part. But at least that crummy La Cumbre Vons will be gone, although value seekers will now have to go elsewhere.

a-1537462155 Jun 20, 2018 07:13 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

They sell an incredible array of vegetables and meats. My "go to" value item at Bristol Farms is their $7.99 marinated rotisserie chicken, which is always tender a juicy. We can't wait to go shopping there because their employees are truly there to serve YOU! Another thing, b sure to try the baked goods if you want something "good" that goes with your coffee (or tea....lol).

a-1537462155 Jun 20, 2018 12:24 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

9336: Working for Bristol p.r.? I will miss that Vons. So easy to park, great produce, and all the clerks are super nice. Hope the clerks get to keep their jobs.

a-1537462155 Jun 20, 2018 12:28 AM

a-1537462155 Jun 20, 2018 12:33 AM

monkeyboy Jun 19, 2018 03:58 PM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Can't say I'll miss that gross Vons. Poorly stocked butcher items. Fresh chips boiled in grease so old they smell like old fish. There really is nothing that draws me there other than the redbox machine.

a-1537462155 Jun 19, 2018 11:32 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Lazy Acres is not as upscale as Bristol Farms, nor is Gelson's. Whole Foods is simply lost somewhere in the shuffle. Trader Joe's better be paying attention.

a-1537462155 Jun 19, 2018 11:28 AM
Bristol Farms to Replace Vons in La Cumbre Plaza

Pricey but wonderful food choices. Great deli and bakery, fresh organic produce. Gorgeous gift baskets. Shopping at Bristol Farms is an adventure. Free delivery to your home for orders over $99.99, or $9.99 delivery fee, same day if you order before 11 a.m. Hoorah!