Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

By David Powdrell

I stumbled into collecting crusty, mangled bottle caps of the world several years ago.  Thinking back on it, I was just picking up trash but over time discovered that old bottle caps were interesting, albeit eclectic, pieces of art.

The mix of color, ink, rust, and grunge continues to captivate me for some odd reason. Sea glass of the streets.

I started putting found caps in my pocket to the chagrin of my wife.

As we travel, I’m admiring the Eiffel Tower but secretly scanning the ground hoping to find another gem.

Not much redeeming value to this article, I know, but maybe you’re collecting something of marginal value that brings you joy?

edsup Nov 21, 2022 10:53 AM
Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

Oh I love it! What a grand capophile you are? Collections, eh? I like to snap pics of interesting stuff. Do photo collections count? Cabooses, wheels, webs, abandoned, mushrooms . . . .

Grabber Nov 21, 2022 08:16 AM
Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

If you visit Plaza Deli (La Cumbre Shopping Center) you will find bottle caps used extensively for interior decor. Also a great selection of unusual soda brands, caps still on. Pastrami is good too…………

ladylagomorph Nov 20, 2022 03:53 PM
Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

When I was little bottle caps had cork inserts. My Grandfather used to take them out, and put the cork inside my shirt, the bottle cap on the outside, and press the shirt between the cap and insert, making me a "pin"! A great memory! I wish I'd kept one or two. Love your collection, and it brought back a sweet memory!

John Wiley Nov 20, 2022 03:03 PM
Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

Dave's interesting items on Edhat are always fun to see. I love living in a city with a movement and parade devoted to Art From Trash. Long before moving here I imagined a time machine that could put a piece of "trash" back into a prehistoric culture. Would our florescent colors and our manufactured materials be magic? Maybe featured and revered in ceremonies? Anyway, thanks to our resident Capophile for sharing this topic.

Blobzilla Nov 20, 2022 02:38 PM
Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

Time and wear have turned ordinary (and relatively boring) things into amazing small treasures. How fabulous! Also a great hobby because it doesn't take up much space. Thank you for your pictures and story.

a-1668977373 Nov 20, 2022 12:49 PM
Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

If stamp collectors are philatelists and book collectors are bibliophiles, what are bottle cap collectors? Dave, I think you should have the honor of coming up with that collective term.

patrick Nov 20, 2022 12:00 PM
Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

I think you’d get along with my uncle, Ron Yeo, a retired architect in Corona Del Mar. He started collecting bottle caps, then started making art with them (originally mandala type assemblies), then expanded his collecting to other found items, primarily plastic, much of it being sand toys left at the beach, then making larger pieces with all of this “recycled trash”. You may find his web site of interest: https://www.yeocapart.com/

a-1669050487 Nov 21, 2022 09:08 AM
Bottle Caps on the Street: A Blend of Art and Litter

Finding small toys on the beach is always fun. I have a collection of those. Tiny metal matchbox cars or plastic Disney "Cars" cars, plastic molds for sand art. Tiny plastic shovels. All kinds of stuff. My best find so far has been a Spider-man toy. And I still have a neat old plastic sand bucket with spout that I've used for years to pour bird seed into my feeders. Never could find another bucket like it, online or in any store. (Sadly, the bucket is now falling apart. ) Want to see a neat collection of found-at-the-beach objects? Go have a look at Goleta Wastewater Treatment Plant. They have a showcase there full of cool junk.