Bombing of Stonhenge Jewelry Store?

By an edhat reader

I was across the street at the Lobero Theater the night that someone set off a bomb in Stonhenge Jewelry Store, 1977, 1978? Do any of the oldtimers that lived in SB at that time remember any of the details, exact dates, etc? Just reminiscing about the old days and can't seem to find any info on what happened. Any memories?

doulie Jun 12, 2021 09:38 AM
Bombing of Stonhenge Jewelry Store?

What about the shooting inside a jewelry store on State St., during a robbery in progress? May have been before the Globetrotter incident. Two or three armed men enter the store, begin to smash display cases and remove jewelry. Employee in another part of the business sees what's happening looking at CCC, goes into main store blazing with a shotgun. End of the day for robbers who were killed in the store. I don't believe any employee's were injured.

Rinconer Jun 12, 2021 07:41 AM
Bombing of Stonhenge Jewelry Store?

Arresting the Harlem Globetrotters reminds me of the town of Sanford, Florida which is famous for not allowing Jackie Robinson to play baseball there.

Phantom Blot Jun 12, 2021 07:34 AM
Bombing of Stonhenge Jewelry Store?

I lived a few blocks away and ran over there when the blast shook my windows. The front of the jewelry store was blown all over the street, and a few people were walking over it, hoping to find diamonds, I suppose. The fire department then showed up and shooed everyone away. The building had cracked along the side facing the bank and it looked very scary, like the building might collapse. The crack was visible for many years afterwards, until something was done to repair it. It finally turned out (if I remember correctly) that it was owned by a married couple, the woman was in affair with another man, and those two planted dynamite to collect the insurance. They both went to prison.

Babycakes Jun 11, 2021 04:48 PM
Bombing of Stonhenge Jewelry Store?

You may be thinking about the incident (not a bombing) where the Harlem Globetrotter players were arrested....they had nothing to do with the robbery.

tagdes Jun 11, 2021 09:01 PM
Bombing of Stonhenge Jewelry Store?

NO Marshalls is not across the street and it was a small jewelry store not the bank ....that was a large bank there not a small store.

mosiyazzie Jun 11, 2021 05:24 PM
Bombing of Stonhenge Jewelry Store?

It was across the street at the parking lot, it was a bomb because I was in the theater when the boom happened, small pieces of plaster came wafting down. I recall reading that it was a bomb. Not sure if the owners did it for insurance money, or something like that.