Blue Tailed Skink title=

By Sean

I saw a Blue Tailed Skink on McEnemy trail. The colors were amazing. Very unique and wanted to share.

a-1591918760 Jun 11, 2020 04:39 PM
Blue Tailed Skink

I thought blue tailed skinks were only native to Australia?

Minibeast Jun 11, 2020 04:47 PM
Blue Tailed Skink

Maybe you're thinking of Blue-tongue lizards? "Blue-tongued skinks comprise the Australasian genus Tiliqua, which contains some of the largest members of the skink family. They are commonly called blue-tongued lizards or simply blue-tongues or blueys in Australia." I once fed melon bits to a Blue-tongue, out in the middle of The Outback. That was fun.

Ahchooo Jun 11, 2020 04:39 PM
Blue Tailed Skink

Thank you! What a lucky sighting.

Minibeast Jun 11, 2020 04:50 PM
Blue Tailed Skink

Over a year ago, I posted my roommate's pic of a Blue-tail, but your photo is far superior. Terrific shot. Maybe I'll get to see one in the wild someday. May I post your shot on Pinterest?

SB1961 Jun 11, 2020 04:53 PM
Blue Tailed Skink

Technical, it's a Juvenile Western Skink. The blue will change as it matures.

bellagirl Jun 12, 2020 10:01 AM
Blue Tailed Skink

Blue tailed kskinks are native in Eastern, WA. Saw one a while back down alongside our road. https://www.burkemuseum.org/collections-and-research/biology/herpetology/amphibians-reptiles-washington/western-skink

a-1592005544 Jun 12, 2020 04:45 PM
Blue Tailed Skink

Blue TONGUE, not tail . . . "Tiliqua rugosa is a short-tailed, slow-moving species of blue-tongued skink found in Australia. Three of the four recognised subspecies are found only in Western Australia, where they are known collectively by the common name bobtail."

a-1592005623 Jun 12, 2020 04:47 PM
Blue Tailed Skink

Oops. I was reading WA as "Western Australia," not the great state of Washington.

chico berkeley Jun 12, 2020 10:04 AM
Blue Tailed Skink

I have seen Blue tailed skinks here my entire life. They are native here so...
See them all the time around my oak firewood pile.

RHS Jun 13, 2020 06:57 PM
Blue Tailed Skink

How can this generate negative votes? It is an simple observation by a fellow community member.

PitLocal Jun 12, 2020 10:51 AM
Blue Tailed Skink

Such a beautiful creature. I hike all the time and I've only seen them a handful of times in my life. It's nice to know they're still out there. Thanks for sharing!