Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

Bird Breakfast on the Mesa title=
Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

By Dulce

Breakfast on the Mesa.

a-1576167479 Mar 21, 2018 01:37 AM
Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

My only native, as far as I know, is the Band-Tailed Pigeon, but I've only seen one this year. It was dining in my yard. Sheesh, everyone probably now considers jays, mockingbirds, sparrows and finches as "native"... :-( Are swallows native? Haven't seen one since I lived in Carpinteria, next to the concreted Santa Monica Creek.

a-1576167479 Mar 20, 2018 10:49 PM
Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

Perfect opening to share this, amazing bird stuff. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Feathers that have evolved into musical instruments? This may sound like an outrageous idea, but the male Club-winged Manakins of Central and South America use a highly-modified feather structure to sing a powerful one-note tune. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/features/all-about-feathers/#meet-a-feather-scientist.php

a-1576167479 Mar 20, 2018 10:45 PM
Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

What is the bird on the top left of 2nd photo? I have seen what I think is the opposite sex counterpart; full black hood, neutral chest, and that stunning red-brown on the chest. Sorry, no camera here. Thanks in advance for answer. _______________________--- thanks Dulce for beautiful pictures! I must get better feeders, though I still kind of like my squirrel...

a-1576167479 Mar 19, 2018 11:29 AM
Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

Many good photographers on Edhat. Dulce I appreciate your photos. Thank you.

Flicka Mar 19, 2018 08:50 AM
Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

Thanks, reminds me I got a big feeder similar to yours for Xmas. I need to fill and hang it.

TWOSCOOPS Mar 19, 2018 08:33 AM
Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

You have beautiful Nutmeg Mannikins! They love white priso millet. Adults have darling checkered chests. The second picture, bird lower on left you can see the checkered chest. They are sweet birds. Thank you for the photos. Made my day!!

tagdes Mar 19, 2018 12:54 PM
Bird Breakfast on the Mesa

Actually they are Scaly-breasted Munia, have been since Aug 2014 when Clements / eBird changed their name after they were classified as established by the ABA from Nutmeg Mannikin or Spice Finch as they were known in the pet trade to Munias to match their world wide name.