By an edhat reader

On Sunday 7/11, I parked my car on Haley Street (near Hayward Lumber and 3rd Window Brewing) after a great bike ride with my son.

We had his brand new Red Trek Mountain Bike and my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike locked to the bike rack on the back of my car.  We came back to the car 1 hour later and found the locks cut and both bikes gone.

Thanks to the team at Patco Jewelry (at the corner of Rose and Haley) we were able to get some awesome video footage of the criminals and the entire process of the bikes being stolen.  I have that video footage available to share if interested.

The criminals arrived by bike and left via my bike and my son's bike and can be seen heading up Laguna street in the video footage.  So I believe they are local to downtown.

If you have seen these bikes downtown (or possibly have a lead on the thieves) that information will be super useful...plus I am offering a hefty reward.

Contact the Santa Barbara Police Department at 805-897-2300 and reference Tracking Number T21002726.

Bicycle Details

1. Black Santa Cruz Nomad, serial number 59-15088-19-255-276

2. Red TREK Precal-24, serial number WTU300XC6938R

Rypert Johnson Jul 22, 2021 06:03 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Well, let's see. Ratty old bikes being ridden by the criminals, riding wrong way on the sidewalk, unkempt appearance. Survey says "HOUSELESS NEIGHBORS!" I'd say check the encampments, but those bikes have been converted to either meth or heroin. Great to come back to this sort of crap.

Byzantium Jul 20, 2021 06:07 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

How others see us and don't understand why Calif voters passed Prop 47: ...."A huge reason for the striking rise in homelessness and both petty and violent crime is Prop 47, a bill deceptively titled the Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act. The actual bill couldn’t be further from the title. It reduces the penalties for felony crimes, allows for early release of violent criminals, changes some violent felonies to misdemeanors, and allows criminals to steal up to $950 dollars per day in property without prosecution. As a result, police officers are less and less likely to respond to calls reporting petty theft, as there isn’t much they can do with a suspect.

The consequence has been an incredible surge in crime across the state. It is hard to fathom the brazenness that is beginning to take over the criminal element in California unless one can witness it personally. We are truly in a state of emergency and it has nothing to do with COVID......"

Coolio Jul 20, 2021 02:15 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Do a close-up of each on a poster with a reward offered and post them around East Haley and Milpas area.

nope Jul 20, 2021 01:50 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

I think I saw the second guy (tank top and tats) going into Lito's on Haley this morning at around 10:30. Sorry I didn't have a chance to post at the time I was driving so can't be sure it was him. Might be worth hanging around Lito's mid morning in case the guy has a routine. He was walking, not on a bike but the oversized shorts and tats looked familiar

a-1626791004 Jul 20, 2021 07:23 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Sheriff Brown should be held accountable they should investigate things which they don't these bikes were not in their jurisdiction obviously but there's a lot of stuff Internet fraud car theft bike theft they don't follow up

biguglystick Jul 20, 2021 11:44 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

100% agree! Our police department is pathetic when it comes to following up theft crimes! Nothing EVER gets recovered, and when you call them you can almost SEE their eyes rolling. They need to DO their jobs! Follow through and follow up.

a-1626759093 Jul 19, 2021 10:31 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

There is a thriving underground economy for bikes and parts. Some are lifted by people seeking a quick sale for their next meth fix, housed and unhoused. I found a stashed bike in our yard, and returned it to the girl around the corner, as it was stolen the night before. The fact they walked it up our drive, hid it behind another car at the bushes was shocking to me. There is clearly almost no danger of getting caught. These guys doing it in broad daylight like that...this shows you clearly how it is - too damned easy. There's clearly a market for hot bikes, and thieves know it. I've had guys walk a bike up to me on the street, offering to sell it. Probably just lifted....

GrammaSB Jul 19, 2021 09:58 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Very probable these upstanding citizens hang out @ Ortega Park or @ the day work wall by the rescue Mission. I put money on it that it's not their first rodeo.

ZeroHawk Jul 20, 2021 09:14 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

HZ, no one has ever said to downsize the police in town, defunding vs downsizing are apples and oranges. argue with the mirror, thanks.

Humanitarian2003 Jul 19, 2021 06:48 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Thieves broke into my place and stole $7000 worth of musical instruments, injuring themselves in the process. SBSDs refused to sample the blood to test to their database, saying that it is not television, they don't do that. Finally forced SBSD to do a sample, but it was never tested and now has been almost two years. Don't get your hopes up when depending on SBSD to be on your side.

bicyclist Jul 20, 2021 12:50 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Oh look, I commented? Good to know... Although I personally prefer the "Father of bike web": https://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/bass/index-one.html (OR?) more MTB related: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2440607/ (dude sold it for ONLY $600, man somebody got a deal there!!!) Nice to see the onetime-local boy Chris made this one...(4 of the 7 pics show his stuff w/two in close-up!!!)

biguglystick Jul 20, 2021 11:45 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Humanitarian2003, I have had nearly the same experience. They don't care and they don't care to even hide the fact that they don't care. It's not exciting enough or lucrative of a crime for them.

bicyclist Jul 20, 2021 11:18 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Zero, which Bass/BASS were you referring to? The Kona Bass from back in 2009-2011: https://2011.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=bass (that was my first guess, pretty cool)? Or the Bianchi BASS: https://store.bicycleczar.com/17-5-BIANCHI-BASS-Easton-Paul-USA-Single-Speed-Mo-p/08180049.htm (this just made the timing & MY choice)... As for the rest I had no Idea as to what that was? Happy you made money on the deal..

ZeroHawk Jul 20, 2021 09:17 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Humanitarian that SUCKS! I got my bass ripped off out of the back of my truck 2 years ago, and SBPD found it at the pawn shop, i got it back, bad guys caught too. i guess i got someone more motivated to help me than you did. very sorry about that mate. funny thing, they took the shitty pickup i had and replaced with a gretcsh bigsby (which i had to remove...it's a bass guitar), so i made out better in the end, sold the bigsby and made $200.

CoastWatch Jul 19, 2021 08:26 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

A friend had the same situation with SB County Sheriffs- Basically NO DETECTIVE/INVESTIGATIVE work done on a burglary, vandalism and auto theft... The victim was so upset, she sold her house and moved out of the County jurisdiction. Sheriff Browns hired security guards as SO LAME compared to Santa Barbara Police Dept, which is a truly professional organization.

monkeyboy Jul 19, 2021 06:41 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

This footage has been on Nextdoor for a week. There is higher chance you'll die of covid than these bikes will be returned. The city will bust up a homeless camp, put them in a hotel in a family neighborhood and your bike parts will be auctioned off for pennies.

biguglystick Jul 20, 2021 11:48 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Agreed, SFGA. Often times the public does much better detective work than the cops do. Just look at how badly bungled the Kristen Smart case was by the cops. It took a podcast and some dedicated citizens to bring the murderer to justice, and we still may never find out where Kristen ended up, sadly.

sfgac055 Jul 19, 2021 07:08 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Just because the chances of the property being recovered are slim doesn’t mean these people shouldn’t pursue IDing the thieves, potentially stopping them from pulling this sh*t on someone else. Also, people who are bold enough to rip some expensive bikes off a car on a busy street in broad daylight are probably doing other crap like this and might be wanted for something else. They should have their faces & footage of what they did seen by as many people as possible.

Lucky 777 Jul 19, 2021 06:33 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

My neighbor found a bike stashed in his yard, called the police. Was asked by the responding officer "Do you want it?" The policeman then went on to say no effort would be made to return it to the rightful owner, and that the police get calls all day long from parasites stealing bikes and then dropping them wherever they wish....... and THE BIKES RECOVERED GO TO THE DUMP. That's what the cop said. I wish it wasn't true.

oops Jul 19, 2021 04:36 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

How crummy! Time for a sting operation in the same vicinity....they are not rookies!

Shmonk Jul 19, 2021 04:00 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

SAC -- seems to be a reference to trump's quote about mexicans, I think he's just being racist.

sacjon Jul 19, 2021 03:55 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

LCP - most bike thieves are bums? Not sure. Lots of housed criminals rip off bikes - gangsters, students, etc. And even if "them" that Jimbo is talking about are the homeless, there are plenty of "good" homeless people out there. Too much instant hate and blame around here every time a crime is reported.

SBTownie Jul 19, 2021 01:59 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

A bike store owner I spoke to said he had to stop selling used bikes in the last year because due to the massive uptick in theft, he could no longer be sure of their provenance and did not feel right contributing to potential thefts by purchasing used.

a-1626727941 Jul 19, 2021 01:52 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Cable locks: JUST DON'T. Get a couple of U-locks and throw your cable locks out, they are useless for all but a quick-grab theft. Sorry this happened to you, some people really suck.

Roger Jul 19, 2021 12:31 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

I used to have a nice mountain bike years ago. I would lock it so the lock was hidden by Cafe Roma or another place then sit and wait I used to love to scare the hell out of thieves catching them in the act. Sorry you got ripped off probably sold off by now in another town.

sacjon Jul 20, 2021 12:39 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

ZERO - oh snap, that was you? I kind of remember that. Spent a lot of late nights at the Roma in my late teens in the early 90's. Lots of jazz and the cabbage associated with such lol!

biguglystick Jul 20, 2021 11:50 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

I hung out at Roma too. LOVED that place. Miss old SB so much. It's a shadow of its former self. Now all shi-shi and only for the rich. We used to have such a vibrant local scene.

ZeroHawk Jul 20, 2021 09:21 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Roger...the Roma? lol that was more than years ago, that was decades ago. You hung out there? So did I back in the 80s/early 90s. big black mohawk. we probably met. i knew a lot of the bikers that came to the roma.

dukemunson Jul 19, 2021 12:11 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

That’s a bummer. I’ve had 2 (basically worthless) beach cruisers stolen in the past year and a half…it’s a crazy how rampant this is of late. Best of luck tracking them down…

bosco Jul 19, 2021 12:07 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

That sucks, we had a bike stolen off our patio last year. The guy looked right into our camera (which triggers a light so he new it was on). He didn't care. We filed a police report (with the guys photo attached) and no response from the PD. While the videos and photos are great, the perps know that it rarely means anything and they'll get away with it 99% of the time.

ChrisL Jul 19, 2021 12:05 PM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

One good website is Treehugger dot com. In March they covered Litelok Core, rated "Solid Secure Bicycle Diamond" by insurers. The article mentions angle grinders, the theft "tool du jour", and a telling comment from a big-city rep who chooses to put on " a lock for every hour I plan to leave the bike", i.e. three for a movie. Treehugger 's readers are savvy; their comments are worth reading. Pay attention to what parts you lock, where you leave the bike (duh), and that the thing you lock it to is stronger than the lock. And, having had two police returns out of four losses in my own SB cycling household, BELIEVE it that registering that serial number matters. I even use the non-profit organization, Bike Index. Very reassuring.

yacht rocked Jul 19, 2021 11:55 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

We have that same bike rack (although we don't mount the frame clamp gizmo because of thieves). The rack has two individual cable locks that really just stop people from walking up and taking the bikes, but they aren't resistant to cheap bolt cutters. We use an extra steel strap, but really there's no way to lock a bike to a rack and keep a determined thief from taking your bike by disassembling the rack or cutting whatever you're locking to. Our basic rule is to never leave the bikes on the rack unless we're in motion. OP, sorry for your loss and hope you can get your bikes back.

PitMix Jul 19, 2021 11:27 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

I guess this means that if you buy something nice, you have to guard it at all times?

CoastWatch Jul 19, 2021 11:26 AM
Bike Thieves Caught on Camera

Find out where they live and deal with them yourself- Cops can't do anything but give a citation.

Pages