Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

Bicyclist struck by a vehicle in front of Gelsons at 3305 State Street.

Citizen27 Sep 18, 2019 12:10 PM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

FYI having assisted at the scene (but not witnessed) the motorist appeared to have turned in front of the bicyclist while turning right into the driveway near the travel agent.

a-1571375048 Sep 17, 2019 04:57 PM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

You have to be crazy to ride your bike anywhere near that parking lot. Between the drunks coming out of Harry’s and the elderly drivers coming out of Gelsons its a perfect storm. Accidents waiting to happen!

a-1571375048 Sep 16, 2019 05:06 PM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

This is unfortunate however it seems like most cyclist in this town ignore traffic laws. I'm honestly surprised there's not a lot more acciddnts! I see people riding their bikes the wrong way, on the sidewalk and blowing through stop signs/red lights. The absolute worst place in town is the state and Constance intersection, where you not only have to worth about the cyclist but cars too. I've almost hit so many cyclist when I had the right of way and they look at me like it's my fault.

letmego Sep 17, 2019 09:07 AM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

Car drivers suck too. A friend of mine was crossing the street yesterday with a walk signal (on foot) and a lady in a fancy car almost hit her. Then when my friend pointed to the walk signal, the woman called her a bitch and flipped her off.

a-1571375048 Sep 16, 2019 04:47 PM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

Cyclists are so vulnerable when riding on our busy streets. I wish the SBPD would provide safety classes to those who chose to ride bicycles in our city. Simply knowing the rules and following them would reduce the carnage. Maybe the stores that sell bikes could be required to provide courses in cycling safety ....that would be a win-win for everyone.

jak Sep 17, 2019 09:38 AM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

Some great ideas here, 11:06. I’d love to take that road test with the dmv examiner sitting on my handlebars. All sarcasm aside, licensing of bicyclists is one of those ideas that may have some theoretical appeal (especially to those who prefer government actions as the solution to most problems) but the practicalities are not all that appealing once you think it through. My preferred solution? Teach your kids the rules of the road, the laws of physics, and consequences for pushing the limits of either.

icanreadcanyou Sep 17, 2019 07:43 AM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

And I wish the CA DMV would provide proper driver training instruction, and that CA high schools had mandatory driver training classes.

a-1571375048 Sep 16, 2019 11:06 PM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

The owners of bicycle shops should "provide courses in cycling safety . . . " At what cost to the shops? Are you serious? How about bicyclists getting licenses, too? After all, by law they are operating a vehicle and are subject to driving laws. Passing a written exam at the DMV should be required. And taking a riding exam with a DMV examiner so bicycling skills can be assessed. Holy crap.

LCP112233 Sep 16, 2019 03:26 PM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

You have to be kind of nuts to ride your bike along with city traffic. Don't stand much of a chance, even with a helmet.

a-1571375048 Sep 16, 2019 02:56 PM
Bicyclist Struck by Vehicle Near Gelsons

2 vehicle vs bicycles in 24 hours! Hope they were wearing a helmet! Probably not a kid though, since not many kids ride their bikes on that part of State st., hopefully!