Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera title=

By Steve

I bought my silver Motobecane Immortal Ice c. 3-2007. I parked it outside Home Improvement Center on Gutierrez and fastened it to a chain link fence with a flimsy "deterrent" lock about 1200 PM 3-20. When I left c 12:22 PM the lock was cut and the bike was gone.

Even with c. 50K miles, the bike still rode well and was mechanically sound. I reported the theft to managers, Tom and Mike, who were very helpful and provided me with a video of the theft which the SBPD now has. It appears that I walked out just seconds after the theft occurred. Not a big financial hit at all, but still, no one likes to be a victim of theft.

Side note: in my life I've had 6 bikes stolen (most all when I was a kid), a Dewey Weber surfboard when I was in the Army summer 62, and a car (1951 Chevy business coupe) when I was at LB State, 1964. That last one hurt the most being a poor college kid at the time. Still realize I'm one lucky guy compared to the misfortune that has befallen others during my lifetime. So this isn't really a complaint, just FYI and an opportunity to share a video of the theft.

AwakeintheMatrix Apr 12, 2018 03:41 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Time to invest in the kryptonite fahgettaboudit lock - I believe they still do this awesome service - if you purchase their lock and your bike gets stolen, as lone as u registered your bike with them - they will replace your bike up to $10k! Totally worth it - at this point- sorry this happened-

Roger Mar 25, 2018 08:43 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

When we got Jim's car back there was a bicycle in the back it was a junk bike pretty much. I heard somewhere that alot of stolen bikes first stop is the Labor Line...We still have a red cruser bike attached to a kiddy cart in the yard I guess it was dumped here..

4358ed Mar 25, 2018 05:13 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

It woulda been better had that white Audi Q7 nailed him as he peddled out of the driveway.

a-1571593774 Mar 25, 2018 04:42 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

i had my bike stolen in a similar way. 2 days later, while waiting for a traffic light to turn green, i saw a kid on my bike. i got my back. hope same for you.

skcyclist Mar 25, 2018 01:17 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

It was an admittedly flimsy lock that could be cut with wire cutters. I was riding with a fast group earlier; no place to carry a heavy lock. Thank you all. Steve

EastBeach Mar 25, 2018 01:14 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Amazing it took less than 7 seconds to cut the lock and get away. Appeared to me like the thief reached into his right pocket to pull out something - so it's not like he had a pair of long bolt cutters. Was the lock a cable lock? My camping buddies and I carry a lot of expensive equipment on our 4x4 vehicles. We lock them down but always say "they only keep honest people honest".

skcyclist Mar 25, 2018 04:28 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

A flimsy cable. Wire cutters would do. I ride with fast group, don't carry heavy lock/cable. Thanks for your input.

skcyclist Mar 25, 2018 01:10 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Thank you edhat and all the folk who commented. I appreciate your suggestions and support. Steve

SB_TAHOE Mar 25, 2018 11:41 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

There’s an auto parts store across the street and a few restaurants nearby, show the video to the employees, maybe they will recognize him.

Luvaduck Mar 25, 2018 11:26 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

It's a mean thing to do. Some people depend on bikes for transportation. IMHO convicted bike thieves should be given a 'reward' for their efforts by jailing them until they have pedaled 200 miles on a rusted-out, chain-slipping, constant right or left turn bike like the ones fished out of canals in Amsterdam. For an incentive, perhaps a minimum daily mileage to earn more than a subsistence diet.

ginny Mar 25, 2018 09:03 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

It absolutely amazes me how quickly the lock was cut and he was off on his way with your bike. And, all in a busy parking lot...jaw dropping for naïve me. Sorry for you, and I'll bet someone will recognize this dude and his jacket.

Kiwidala Mar 25, 2018 10:05 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

I certainly hope someone recognizes him...ive had about 10 bikes Stolen in my life here in SB.....im happy to see the camera worked at least this one time....ive never been that lucky and theives have so much nerve too to steal right out in the open....good luck

PeterN Mar 25, 2018 08:56 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

My bike was stolen at the main SB library. It had a reasonable cable lock on it. There as a guy sitting on the wall there and maybe he saw that I didn't spin the combo enough. I filed a report with the police dept. I now carry a piece of paper in my wallet with the report number, serial number, and picture of the bike. I'm still hoping to catch the dirt bike in town sometime. (This happened to a friend of mine!) FYI, bike shops are required to check the police records to see if the bike was reported stolen before they can by it.

Flicka Mar 25, 2018 08:29 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

So sorry for you, such a crime (or any theft) is such a violation. For years when I rode my daughter's old rusty bike I'd lock it, my daughter said no need as no one would want it.

Col Mar 25, 2018 08:27 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Well, if it’s not that big of a hit then go make a local bike shop owner happy and go by another. Thanks for the warning though.

tagdes Mar 25, 2018 02:28 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Don't know why passing one local bike shop would make another owner happy. Maybe if one stopped to buy a bike then it might.

ladylagomorph Mar 25, 2018 07:55 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Right in front of the Brinks armored truck, too! I used to say "Hi!" to the guards whenever I walked past them making a delivery or pickup. Now they look at me like I'm a suspicious person! (Which I can understand considering what goes on these days!). But this guy rips off your bike in front of armed guards! They didn't notice, and he didn't care!

a-1571593774 Mar 25, 2018 08:14 AM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Their job is to protect the cash not the parking lot or other people's property nearby.

a-1571593774 Mar 24, 2018 11:22 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

Here's hoping this ratbag gets his comeuppance. So sorry you lost your Motobecane. I used to own one, too, many many years ago. Thanks for sharing this with us. It shows just how quickly and easily one can become a bike theft victim. Sadly, thieves are one good (and aggravating) reason I rarely ride my bike to go shopping. Even with a Kryptonite U-Lock, I hate to take the chance. I love my bike.

Bird Mar 24, 2018 09:52 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

What a bummer! A frequent H. I. shopper, I am really sorry; what kind of a lock was there that seemed to be clipped in a second or two? Hope you get your bike back!

mattyboy Mar 24, 2018 09:09 PM
Bicycle Theft Caught on Camera

What a loser. I live nearby & will keep an eye out. Maybe we can find my stolen tools, too...