By an edhat reader

I'm looking for help from some green thumb readers. I'm looking to create some extra privacy between my property and my neighbors. There's concrete on the fence-line so I can't plant anything in the ground but I have enough space to put several large pots near the fence.

Can edhat readers recommend a plant that would be tall enough and enjoy the Santa Barbara climate? Thanks in advance.

Red Creek Apr 15, 2021 09:00 AM
Best Plant for Privacy

Some have recommended citrus. The trellis cara cara orange is beautiful, smells heavenly in bloom and produces large fruit. We got ours at Knapp. Will need a large pot.

Luvaduck Apr 15, 2021 07:08 AM
Best Plant for Privacy

Also consider if the plant(s) you consider may be invasive & invade your neighbor's property. If the do, they may push it back over the fence or poison whayever's on their side. In either case, it will damage the plant(s), not to mention burden your relationship.

edney Apr 14, 2021 06:45 PM
Best Plant for Privacy

Forgot to say Hedges (vertical plants) 8 feet down to 3.5 ten feet fron sidewalk at a 45 degree angle.
Read the part about driveways carefully and pay attention to pages 4 and 5 figures #10, 11,12 because the law doesn't want you running over anyone on their sidewalks and you will be liable if you grow hedges too high and run over someone

PitMix Apr 16, 2021 08:34 AM
Best Plant for Privacy

I was knocked down by a guy backing out of his driveway screened by a tall hedge. Next day he cut the hedge down to avoid future problems. Tall hedges at corner lots where you can't see what is coming around the corner could also result in liability.

jak Apr 15, 2021 08:11 AM
Best Plant for Privacy

Ed net, what you say sounds ridiculous but it isn’t. Our former neighbor kept her hedge at 4 1/2 feet right up to the sidewalk. Pretty, yes. But one day I was pulling my rather low-slung car out of the driveway and I cut off a very small and very energetic kid on a cute little bike. She swerved into the street and almost encountered a pickup truck head-on. No physical harm done but I ram sure that daddy was severely traumatized (the pickup driver was pretty sure of what was about to happen).

a-1618446198 Apr 14, 2021 05:23 PM
Best Plant for Privacy

What is the fence height limit in the City of SB? Could you add a fence extender or lattice on top of the existing fence as well?

PitMix Apr 16, 2021 08:31 AM
Best Plant for Privacy

Height limits between properties are not enforced. Many hedges on the westside that are taller than 8 ft even next to the sidewalk.

edney Apr 14, 2021 06:36 PM

8 feet for wood fence.
Concrete, block, stone 3.5 feet

City of SB Fence, Screen Wall and Hedge Guidelines

mp805 Apr 14, 2021 05:17 PM
Best Plant for Privacy

Can the original poster tell us how much sunlight the spot their thinking about planting gets during the day. Full sunlight?

mp805 Apr 14, 2021 06:16 PM
Best Plant for Privacy

I've had really good luck using Podocarpus to make a thin tall screen...it doesn't flower and sheds little for a clean area and grows fast

SB_Sunset Apr 14, 2021 05:08 PM
Best Plant for Privacy

Consider eugenia. It turns into a full hedge that provides year-round privacy. It requires some trimming and annual treatment for psyllids.

Minibeast Apr 14, 2021 03:31 PM
Best Plant for Privacy

You would want something that would spread and intertwine, from pot to pot. How large are these "large pots"? Don't forget the plant supports. Willow trees grow quickly. Or maybe Bay laurel. (I love the flowers on Bougainvillea, but not a fan of the thorns.) Just be sure and check which plant zone you're in. Ask the people at La Sumida Nursery on Patterson to help you with plant choice.

Always_Running Apr 14, 2021 03:26 PM
Best Plant for Privacy

On my properties I’ve used star jasmine or a passion fruit vine. Both grow quickly and grow nice in a box and trellis. Depending on the fence you can add some hooks and fishing line to fill the entire fence. I get mine at Knapp’s Nursery. Very helpful and knowledgeable.

a-1618438402 Apr 14, 2021 03:13 PM
Best Plant for Privacy

I don't know much about plants at all but bougainvillea seems to grow really fast and is pretty