Best Place to Paint a Car?

By an edhat reader

Looking for recommendations around the Santa Barbara area for car painters. Any personal experiences out there and what did you pay?

SB_TAHOE May 09, 2018 09:45 AM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

By the way OP we didn't get details from you regarding whether you are needing a complete paint job or just an area repair; also if you were seeking the best quality or lowest price. Is the car an old classic or a newer family car, etc. For instance, some shops specialize in classic cars and others only want to do insurance collision work.

SB_TAHOE May 09, 2018 09:38 AM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

To repaint a 1989 car complete in the same manner the factory did (colored base coat with clear coat on top) in the SB area (labor rates and material prices are higher here than they are in other parts of CA based on costs of living) using excellent quality materials you are looking at a minimum of $3000 depending on the size of the vehicle, the condition of the existing paint, and the condition of the body (dents, rust, etc.) . That would be the starting point. Stripping panels, dent or rust repairs and removal/reinstallation of attaching parts would add to that base figure. If you'd like to pay less than $3000 I recommend Maaco in Oxnard or Santa Maria. They provide lower cost options.

jak May 08, 2018 03:49 PM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

I used Dino a half a dozen times over the course of twenty years. As I recall, the first time he had to have someone else drive it because he was too young to qualify as a driver for insurance purposes. Every time he did extra work and still came in below estimare. Always great economical work, especially when plastic or composite trim is involved.

72torinomike May 08, 2018 03:18 PM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

Precision would be my recommendation, but you will pay for it. I think Hughes and Dino's do a fair amount of work for some of the local dealerships with good results. I would also agree that Lompoc and the Ventura/Oxnard areas are less expensive. A friend of mine had a good result from Maaco in Santa Maria depending on what type of vehicle and quality of paint job you want. Flicka, I would take your '89 there. One method to reduce cost is to hire one or two of the employees at a body shop to prep your car prior to taking it to be painted. Same quality work but many will do it on the side for less money. Ask your mechanic or even the dealership if they could recommend someone in this capacity.

a-1563457359 May 08, 2018 01:57 PM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

Dino's Body Shop - 59 Depot Rd, Goleta, CA 93117 - (805) 683-8189. I had them do some work on my 1998 Honda CRV. Good work - reasonable prices.

a-1563457359 May 08, 2018 01:49 PM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

Much better deals in Lompoc or Ventura if you want to drive. I like Schuyler in Lompoc.

toot May 08, 2018 01:19 PM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

Precision Auto Body in Goleta. Either they will or they can recommend a competent, quality company.

SBCruiser May 08, 2018 10:25 AM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

Might help if you provided more information like what level quality paint job are you seeking ( low quality re-spray just to get by, good factory-like paint job, completely changing car colors, show car quality, etc.) and what condition is the car in (if poor, expect a large portion of your cost to go into the prep work required). Huge variety of options and cost depending on those answers.

Flicka May 08, 2018 09:01 AM
Best Place to Paint a Car?

I hope some recommendations come in as I have a 1989 car that definitely needs a paint job. I don't want to pay a leg and an arm for it.