By an edhat reader

I've been having a debate with my co-workers all morning about the best pizza in town. Granted we all like different styles of pizza, but we noticed a few places seemed to stand out as favorites. I was curious what places other people think makes the best pizza and why? [Disclaimer: we were not considering price in this debate, purely taste]

Red Creek Apr 12, 2018 09:28 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

We seem to have a lot of New Yorkers in SB these days! The kids love Rusty's while I head for the salad bar and Dad has a sanwhich or chicken wings.

ems072717 Apr 12, 2018 05:47 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Olio is amazing, but gotta say Giovanni's on upper state! Always good and I miss it terribly having now moved to LA (pizza here SUCKS).

Col Apr 12, 2018 04:37 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Mesa Pizza: White pizza with Pepperoni, mushrooms and Jalapenos. Best! Used to be Taffy's whole wheat with the same ingredients.

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 03:27 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

I like Pizza My Heart. They have an extensive menu of NY style big beefy pizzas. Big Sur boasts a pepperoni pizza with over 50 whole cloves of garlic. On Wednesday I had a slice of Pastrami pizza with a deli brown mustard sauce, cheese, sliced banana and whole Chiltepin peppers. They served it by the slice along with about 5 other pies.

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 01:10 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

There is not much choice here for good pizza. Sal's is close to Italian / NY style, very tasty. Paesano's used to be good. Think it changed owners. For those affronted that some of us think the SB pizza you've been eating is pretty awful compared to other cities, don't be upset. Just travel and explore more. There is cool stuff in the world beyond SB. It's like this: you think you know what good beer is when you've only ever tasted Pabst, Bud, Coors. Your sample size is too small, for one thing. For another, a lot of what passes for great here would be considered barely mediocre in major metros where the competition is more fierce. It raises standards.

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 07:21 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Love that SB Snark! Been to NY and Italy. They're certainly not the same style of pizzas, but they sure were better than anything I've had here. Besides, I said Sal's and Paseano's. Have a blessed evening.

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 02:35 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Good point, Tadges. We're talking about "local pizza" here, not who makes better pizza around the world. Snobs come in all shapes, sizes and in this case, crusts!

tagdes Apr 12, 2018 02:11 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Maybe you should read the post before babbling on about what an expert you are. It says.............who makes the best pizza in town........doubt they are planning on going to NY or Italy for lunch. Evidently you've never been to either or you would know that NY pizza is not the same as what you actually get in Italy.

GeneralTree Apr 12, 2018 12:08 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Can we all agree anything with gluten-free crust should not be allowed to be called a pizza?

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 11:07 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

LOL some of these are funny. So clear who is from CA and has never had really good pizza. Sal's and Giovanni's. The rest, well, head to the east coast and then you'll understand.

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 12:06 PM

I concur on Giovannis and Sals is good too

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 11:31 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

Wait, so anyone who hasn't had "east coast" pizza has never "had really good pizza?" Even though we love and enjoy the pizza we've had here in CA, it's not "really" good pizza that we're eating? As in, we just think we like the delicious pizza we've all had here? Ugh, go back to the other coast with that snob garbage. I can't stand it when people tell me I don't "really like" something because it's not the best that is out there. I like what I like, and I know what I don't - pizza snobs being one of them.... "LOL"

alorsenfants Apr 12, 2018 09:54 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

I regularly tell people the best pizza in Santa Barbara is actually 50 miles away, in Los Alamos, where Full of Life Flatbread plies their trade. Another 'destination' pizza place is the slightly closer Industrial Eats, in Buellton. If you're not up for driving to one of these, I'd cast my vote with the Nicky D's crowd, although I wondered while driving past there earlier this week if they're still in business -- I couldn't see a sign on their storefront? Santa Barbara can use better examples of many cuisines -- I think of BBQ, delis, and Chinese in particular -- pizza is only one of them?

mm1970 Apr 12, 2018 09:43 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

Hmm. I like different kinds of pizza so it depends on what I'm in the mood for. I like Pizza Mizza, Giovanni's, Woodstock, Taffy's, Paesano's, Persona, Haven't tried Olio, Ca Dario, Paxti, Lucky Penny, Honor Bar or Blaze. Don't care for Rusty's and only had Nicky D's once, and it was the worst pizza I've ever had. Likewise, spouse didn't like Mesa Pizza. Unfortunately I'm stuck eating gluten free pizza now, so that limits my options. I end up letting the family order what they want and I eat at home.

REX OF SB Apr 12, 2018 09:19 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

Pizza Mizza! Gourmet-quality pizza for a really reasonable price.

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 12:06 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Kind of over-salted or bland depending on which model you order.

Steve_O Apr 12, 2018 07:45 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

Two ways to look at it.... There are so many delectable styles of pizza as of late, much like the beer industry the last 20 years. I like the thin crust, wood fired, unique topping pizzas to snack on with my wine or beer or cocktail like most everyone does. DAMN good pizza! Hard to put a finger on where the "best" of that might be. All the ones on this list of comments sound good for breakfast this morning. But as far as actual "PIZZA"...where you pick up a phone and order for delivery, or go in to pick up to take home, or dine in for some grub with the family....RUSTY'S is just the best. And just pepperoni and cheese. Thin crispy crust, sweet sauce, and great toppings. Plus their salad bar is just untouchable. I don't know why, but I think its because its all so cold, crisp and fresh? All you opinionated, pinky curled "true" santa barbarans can say NUH-UH! all you want. I too am a long time Santa Barbara native, and know MANY of the great spots to dine and drink and visit in SB. Rusty's is good, traditional pizza. Best in the county when it comes to that. OPEN THE FLOOD GATES!

EastBeach Apr 12, 2018 10:16 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

Deano's linguica pizza was my favorite. We'd often go there after playing city league (as did many other teams).

a-1571533604 Apr 11, 2018 07:36 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Nicky D's got it going on. We ordered an extra large a few weeks ago, and the taste, flavor, texture was all spot on. You can get lousy pizza anywhere, even in New York. We had one in New York that was horrible, and we complained to the owner. The owner said, let me make you another one "on the house," to which we happily agreed. The second one had less cheese, sauce, huge burn spots on the bottom (like over half of the crust was burned), and the sausage and mushroom toppings were nearly non-existent. Needless to say, we never went back to THAT place again!!!

mm1970 Apr 12, 2018 09:38 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

As long as you like soggy on the top and burnt on the bottom. Went there once, never going back!

Z Apr 11, 2018 03:24 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Nuu Yark Sitty? Pizza? Get these people out of our town.

shorebird Apr 11, 2018 03:19 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Zodo’s marguerita pizza. Loaded with garlic and basil.

a-1571533604 Apr 11, 2018 02:52 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

I notice none of the true locals said Rusty's... good job everyone!

therealbebe Apr 11, 2018 03:59 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Yup. I have lived here in SB for 25 years, and Rusty's has never been and will never be "pizza". I am as confounded by it today as I was the day I first had it.

4358ed Apr 11, 2018 02:39 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

I guess it's time to trod out this ol' edhatter nugget of a "best pizza" poll and I'll bite (pun intended). Valentino's crust and sauce is excellent, but not exactly always so fun to take and bake. We don't ever mind the cross town travel to Via Vai in Montecito. Our absolute favorite. Shout out to Deano's !

420722 Apr 11, 2018 02:00 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Sorry I have two favorites..olio pizzeria and blaze. Ones fancy ones cheap and fast but both are delicious.

monkeyboy Apr 11, 2018 01:48 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

I must have tried Nicky Ds on a bad night. It was alternately oversalted and bland and nothing like pizza I had while visiting New York.

kids Apr 11, 2018 01:47 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

We love Blaze Pizza. I like the thinner crust. You pick the ingredients, and how much. It's wood fired on the spot. Yum!

ginger1 Apr 11, 2018 01:41 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

No doubt Nicky D's (De la Vina northside) is the best NY style pizza in town. I'm from NY so I know. Or just ask New Yorker Nicky. Crust is appropriately thin, sauce has the perfect tomato tanginess and just the right amount of not-to-greasy mozzarella cheese. Paesano's is pretty good but a distance second. Thicker, chewier crust, not as much punch in the sauce. Taffy's? Pleeeese.

lolagirl Apr 11, 2018 01:38 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Nicky D's is hands down the best pizza in town. It's the only pizza that remotely comes close to a NY slice.

YepSB Apr 11, 2018 12:35 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Paesano's for us. Persona is a close second.

a-1571533604 Apr 11, 2018 12:29 PM

Paesano's Pizzeria on San Andres St

rll_sb Apr 11, 2018 12:24 PM
Best Pizza in Town?

Nicky D's offers a special thick (Sicilian style) pizza if you special order it. It takes an hour or so to make but it is definitely worth the wait and the price (~$27).

a-1571533604 Apr 11, 2018 11:57 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

Honor Bar on Coast Village Rd.

SBsurferlife Apr 11, 2018 11:26 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

Nicky D's is fantastic and as close to east coast pizza that you can get here. Gino's is also really good for their slice and salad combo.

a-1571533604 Apr 12, 2018 11:08 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

You've got to be kidding, had pizza there once and never went back, and I'm from the east coast (NJ/NY) so, wrong.

oops Apr 11, 2018 11:26 AM
Best Pizza in Town?

Woodstocks because they put sauce under the crust fold...and there is just a touch of spicy-ness to their sauce! Yum

Pages