By an edhat reader

Anyone have suggestions for the best pies in town? My turn to provide dessert this Thanksgiving. Naturally I turn to the best connoisseurs in town - the edhat community.

sfgac055 Nov 22, 2021 09:46 AM
Best Pies in Town

Well, I was going to say Simply Pies in Goleta but it looks like they're now one with Crushcakes... Anyway, worth checking out if you're in Goleta. 5392 Hollister Ave.

bicyclist Nov 22, 2021 09:59 AM
Best Pies in Town

Can't go wrong with the pumpkin pie from Costco! The vendor @ farmers market sat & tues: Jimenez Family Farm (805-688-0597) has great fruit pies [Marcie's Pies] - my favorite is the "Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble", please save one for me...

ZeroHawk Nov 22, 2021 10:15 AM
Best Pies in Town

agree, both FM vendors are great!

a-1637633581 Nov 22, 2021 06:13 PM
Best Pies in Town

With respect, the Costco pies and pizzas are a good deal as for price to product ratio but the quality of their food is generally really middle of the road/mundane.

Babycakes Nov 22, 2021 10:07 AM
Best Pies in Town

Mulligan's at the SB Muni golf course used to sell whole pies, which were quite good and homemade, but not sure if they still do.....worth a call though!

ZeroHawk Nov 22, 2021 10:16 AM
Best Pies in Town

Ralphs, frozen marie callenders or claim jumper pies....used to go to Bakers Square in goleta, now...i just hit up the frozen aisle or make one myself. it IS berry season and berries are delicious and cheap at the store...

a-1637647951 Nov 22, 2021 10:12 PM
Best Pies in Town

Could you, would you please specify what berries are in season and tasty and cheap in stores in Santa Barbara right now?
I'm curious.
I don't buy my own but I like to eat the fruits that go in them and don't tend to do so in November!
I also just read through several sources in response to my online query "what berries are in season in the USA in fall"
I read the local grocery store circulars. There may be some berries -- imported and expensive.

greg Nov 22, 2021 10:26 AM
Best Pies in Town

Deux Bakery - will accept special order pies, cakes and breads, given enough notice. They have done each for me - special, staff is always helpful, and the special order chocolate cherry bread I requested for myself and gifts - yummmmm.....

bicyclist Nov 22, 2021 11:34 AM
Best Pies in Town

Figures the bakery nearby that I totally forgot about (it's too close)!
thanks for the reminder...

OGSB Nov 22, 2021 10:58 AM
Best Pies in Town

Bake Your Day hands-down best anywhere, and it's not even close.

sacjon Nov 22, 2021 11:17 AM
Best Pies in Town

OGSB - WOW! Just looked at their website, looks delicious! Thanks for posting this, I will definitely be checking them out.

NostraChumash Nov 22, 2021 12:14 PM

CFL..
"Pies Baked While You Wait"..

bicyclist Nov 22, 2021 02:52 PM
Best Pies in Town

Nos - you did it to me again... When I was attempting to figure out where "CFL.." was, all I got was Canadian Football League ??? Now just feeling stupid. At least my other suggestions showed up on the yelp's "10 best pies in SB"....

Thomas John Nov 22, 2021 06:41 PM
Best Pies in Town

I'll just add this a problem with edhat. We have everything from Von's frozen pies to 30 dollar custom one-offs. Why not ask what is the best dog or car? You'll get the same scattershot findings as here.

Seabird Nov 22, 2021 08:39 PM
Best Pies in Town

@ThomasJohn, I learned of a few new local bakeries I'd never heard of before. Scattershot is kind of the point. I am sorry you've been triggered by pies.

Chevy67 Nov 22, 2021 08:59 PM
Best Pies in Town

@ThomasJohn, you do realize "the best pie" is subjective right? Unlike your comment which I find to be "the best" example of a Santa Barbara complainer.

a-1637647520 Nov 22, 2021 10:05 PM
Best Pies in Town

Yeah, this is not a problem with Edhat, but the POINT of Edhat. There are many other sites out there, just takes some search engine work. Or more likely social media searching.

a-1637648470 Nov 22, 2021 10:21 PM
Best Pies in Town

Not sure what Opal is doing for the holiday, and it's been a long, long time since I bought dessert from them, but their pecan chocolate tart... so so SO good. And that was back in the good old days when they had a bakery. Oh, their bread!
Not sure if they're selling whole tarts, but I once bought a dark chocolate pecan tart for our family Turkey Day.
Click on opening message re: Covid safety to continue with their menu.

a-1637679025 Nov 23, 2021 06:50 AM
Best Pies in Town

FWIW - Solvang Pies (sold at Gelsons) are very good.

Stuart Nov 23, 2021 09:13 AM
Best Pies in Town

Crush cakes does make Pies - just checked out their website as I've had excellent pies from them in the past but it's been a year or so and looks like they must still be a good bet as they say "thanks for tons of orders but we're sold out now for Thanksgiving pie orders". Will look at these guys for next round at Christmas plus always glad to try to support local mom/pop businesses. I did see someone comment on Renaunds and they do make excellent deserts but are they sure they make pies?

greg Nov 23, 2021 10:33 AM
Best Pies in Town

Does anyone still fondly remember the pies at Ruth and Rogers restaurants - what a variety. Seems pies are out of fashion these days.

edsup Nov 23, 2021 04:47 PM
Best Pies in Town

Wow! Thanks one and all. I shall certainly look into all of these. Tried Crushcakes a few days ago, but they were not taking anymore orders. Also tried Lilac Patisserie, but they were pricey! $45 and $50 for one pie! I shall definitely have to try some of the suggestions listed her. Thanks again!