By an edhat reader

Does anyone know of any local businesses that will appraise/value Beanie Babies ? I have a few old retired ones and I was wondering their value - very hard to determine online. Thanks!

a-1568723319 Apr 30, 2019 08:20 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

OP Here - thanks to those who provided helpful advice. As for others - I actually did not buy these myself, they were gifts - I would never buy a Beanie Baby even when they first came out. However, I happened to come across one that was similar to mine that had an asking price of over $5K and that seemed ridiculous to me, so the question was out of curiosity b/c if I can get some $$ for these, I would and instead of donating the animal itself, some $$$. Thanks again!

PurpleBee Apr 29, 2019 06:32 PM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

We personally funded part of Mr. Warners wealth. I recently gave part of my extensive collection to the County Fire Department to use on their trucks. Another batch is slated for delivery to Cottage Hospitals for the kids. Some went to Salvation Army, the Unity Shoppe, and to the Special Cancer Services at UCLA for kids. Ours were kept stored in sealed Ziploc bags, therefore making them eligible for the hospitals to use. I kept one bear & one bunny for myself. Don't even get me started on the Beanie Buddies!

a-1568723319 Apr 29, 2019 01:09 PM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

Consider donating them to a children's hospital. Cut the tags off, let the kids play with them, and you enjoy a tax deduction. The joy they would bring to suffering kids far outweighs the amount you'll get for them.

a-1568723319 Apr 29, 2019 12:19 PM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

There are many Beanie Babies still worth some money. Just search collectible or rare Beanie Babies and lots of websites pop up with pricing. Now you have me thinking of the collection I saved from my son's toys.

Lucky 777 Apr 29, 2019 10:52 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

And didn't Ty Warner cut down all the eucalyptus on that channel Drive property that were a monarch butterfly nesting site and get away with it because although he had no permit he claimed he was replacing them with native plants?

TaxiOnna Apr 30, 2019 03:47 PM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

Nope, that was local developer Ed St. George!

oops Apr 29, 2019 09:50 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

Excellent marketing campaign is what drove BB's sales. Consider the Chia....

a-1568723319 Apr 29, 2019 09:31 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

The way I understand it, Beanie Babies hit their price peak early on, but then their value dropped through the floor and has remained there ever since. "Investors" who jumped on the BB bandwagon lost lots and LOTS of $$$, often winding up with rooms full of cheaply made Beanie Baby stuffed animals, etc.—which is all they ever were in the first place. A classic example of The Emperor's New Clothes.

a-1568723319 Apr 29, 2019 09:49 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

And a classic example of flim flam free enterprise bilking gullible folks. Of course in many instances the gullible ones were themselves hoping to make an easy buck by getting in ahead of even more gullible ones.

Always_Running Apr 29, 2019 09:28 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

Go leave a note on Ty Warners’ gate... just kidding.

a-1568723319 Apr 29, 2019 08:17 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

As you have no easy market to monitor it appears a sucker is not born every minute.

Col Apr 29, 2019 07:19 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

Agreed but seems Ebay is dead. Businesses have taken it over. Does Popcorn know other sites? Etsy...

popcorn Apr 29, 2019 06:50 AM
Beanie Baby Appraisal

The value of Beanie Babies - and every tangible thing - depends on what someone will pay for it. I'd check the going rate of your Beanie Babies on Ebay to get an idea of their value.