Backpacking in the Sierras

Backpacking in the Sierras title=
Backpacking in the Sierras

By Tom Modugno

Mid August we took the whole family plus a few friends up to the Western Sierra for a few days. We were pleased to find way more water than last year and even a few remaining snow patches. Surprisingly, the water wasn't too cold and we had several warm sunny days to enjoy it. In addition to the sun, we had thunder, lightning, rain, some hail and a million hungry mosquitos!

Every year, I'm reminded how much fun it is to get offline, off the grid and out of the comfort zone, even just for a short while. It hits a big reset button and simple things become amazing, boring things become fascinating...Enjoy the photos.

Also, check out www.goletasurfing.com for some local surf photos and spots!

420722 Sep 03, 2017 06:19 PM
Backpacking in the Sierras

It's hard to believe that they would be the only people hiking in the western sierras at this time a year flicka but I do have to say I would much rather see a dog roaming free in the wilderness anytime than anywhere in the SB area that is not an off leash park/beach. The worst is the grocery store. We should start calling these people out, they only do it because nobody tells them they can't. Tom I wish my family still did adventures like your family does..now all we do is fight...ugh.

Flicka Sep 03, 2017 02:37 PM
Backpacking in the Sierras

A dog is going to ruin the adventure? When you get out where these photos were taken they may not have met anyone else at all.

EastBeach Sep 03, 2017 06:54 PM
Backpacking in the Sierras

I love backpacking, camping, hiking, and dogs. For those planning a future backpacking/camping trip to the backcountry or a visit to the National Parks, please be sure to check the pet regulations for your destination. They're there for good reasons (and not always what you'd expect). I feel sorry for the park rangers who have to explain to unsuspecting dog owners why their trusty companions sometimes aren't allowed out on the trails.

EastBeach Sep 03, 2017 12:03 PM
Backpacking in the Sierras

There's nothing like sitting next to a cool mountain lake with your gas stove boiling water for a meal at the beginning or end of a day. I'm a Mountain House fan too (their Breakfast Skillet is awesome).

gone Sep 03, 2017 10:57 AM
Backpacking in the Sierras

Perhaps to have little if any consequence but I have to be one of the mind that if I was on a peaceful outing in the Sierras or any other place to see the beauty that I would be bummed to have to see an unleashed or even a leashed dog coming in my direction . Closer in to SB when we walk along the various trails and sidewalks , the sights, sounds and definitely the smells caused by freewheeling dog owners is to us as bad as the overbuilding that is often critiqued by many . I am curious to hear replies to this , thanks.

mjford Sep 03, 2017 09:58 AM
Backpacking in the Sierras

Great pictures, can you share the route you took? I have been interested in taking my dog on a backpacking trip up there.

Flicka Sep 03, 2017 09:40 AM
Backpacking in the Sierras

Thank you for these delightful, beautiful photos. Not hard to tell how much fun it was. We go to the Eastern Sierra in Spring and Fall. Thankfully no mosquitos where we camp.