Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

By Jess

Hi edhatters! I have to travel to Ventura tomorrow (Thursday) from Santa Barbara for an extended lunch meeting and I'm curious when the traffic kicks up and slows down? I was hoping to leave SB around noon but what time should I leave Ventura by to avoid traffic?

Thank you!

MyHonorStudentB Aug 30, 2019 12:37 PM
Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

It is awful unless you are going the opposite direction of traffic. I avoid weekday rush hour like the plague. Best late at night.

x01660 Aug 28, 2019 04:59 PM
Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

Traffic is gonna be bad from 0800-0930 from Ventura to SB, and from around 1530-1730 going from SB to Ventura. I know this because I like to lane filter, so I time my commute at rush hour. You're gonna run into some traffic in Carp where the construction is going on, but if you go before or after that time, you're looking at a solid 75 mph drive. Just be careful around Olive Mill, the Ballard/Rincon exit, and a little after La Conchita. Cops like to set up there. Good luck!

a-1567018803 Aug 28, 2019 12:00 PM
Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

As others have said, it really doesn't matter what time you leave Ventura, unless it is a Friday. Commuting SB -> Ventura is easy in the mornings. Ventura -> SB is easy in the afternoons, you will be going the opposite direction of traffic both ways. I work in the nard and leave to go home to SB anywhere between 4-6pm and never really have trouble.

REX OF SB Aug 28, 2019 11:18 AM
Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

The problem with WAZE is that there's only one way of getting from Ventura to SB, so there's no easy way around. Of course, if traffic is bad on 101, you could always go via 150/33 through Ojai, but that is (a) miles out of the way; and (b) likely to also be congested, due to locals thinking they can detour around 101. That said, I've found the easiest daytime travel between SB and Ventura to be between 9 am and 3 pm Monday through Thursday. You DO NOT want to travel on a Friday, regardless of the time. On one recent Friday afternoon it took me an hour and 15 minutes to get from Mussel Shoals to downtown SB. No accidents, roadwork or other distractions, just very heavy Friday afternoon traffic.

Coolio Aug 28, 2019 10:21 AM
Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

You're going the opposite of the heavy traffic commute. It takes me only 40 minutes to get to Oxnard every AM (leave at 6:20AM) and 45-50 minutes to get home (leave at 4PM) except on Friday which can take over an hour sometimes. With summer over and the kids back to school I expect there will be better traffic northbound on Thursday & Fridays.

EastBeach Aug 28, 2019 10:13 AM
Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

40% of employees at my workplace commute from Ventura and Buellton. While my co-workers travel in directions opposite to you, one of them (a Waze user) recommended just using Google Maps to get "directions" on your return leg. You can adjust the departure time in Google Maps and it will recompute your travel time based on historical traffic data that all the Google Maps and Waze users have been pumping into Google's traffic database. Predicted congestion will show up as red on the map. Make sure that "Traffic" is enabled (use the menu icon at upper left) and then change "Leave Now" to "Depart At" using the dropdown menu to enter your hypothetical depart time.

tagdes Aug 28, 2019 10:19 AM
Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

3:30 should be OK, probably a few early Labor Day'ers already heading up north from LA. Just lucky it's not on Friday, bad from the get go then.

a-1567012099 Aug 28, 2019 10:08 AM
Avoid Traffic Between SB and Ventura?

That is not helpful. Unfortunately I rarely make this drive so I don't know for certain. I'd assume leave Ventura before 3:30 pm