Attempted Robbery on UCSB Campus
This email is being sent to the campus community as a Timely Warning regarding a crime that occurred on campus property. The following is provided for your personal safety.
On December 9, 2019, the UCSB Police Department received a report of an attempted robbery that occurred on the bike path near Student Health on December 8, 2019 at approximately 8:30 p.m. The suspect attempted to rob the reporting party and threatened to pepper spray them.
The suspect is described as a male adult, 20-30 years old, approximately 5’8”, with short black hair, brown eyes, and a mustache. The suspect was wearing a blue hoodie.
UCPD is investigating this crime. If you have information that might assist in the investigation, please contact the UCSB Police Department at (805) 893-3446, or report crime information anonymously at www.police.ucsb.edu/
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) is investigating 3 similar robbery reports that occurred in Isla Vista on December 8, 2019 between approximately 8:15 p.m. and 8:45 p.m. involving a suspect matching the description above. If you have information that might assist in their investigation, please contact SBSO at (805) 681-4100, or report crime information anonymously at www.sbsheriff.org/
UCPD reminds the campus community of the following general safety tips:
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- Follow your instincts. Safety is the first priority.
- If you feel you are in danger, take action. Move away from the threat, cross the street, increase your pace, or run to safety.
- Join a group of people or enter an open business establishment.
- Do not delay in calling 911. UCPD strongly encourages the reporting of suspicious activity so we can intervene in potential criminal activity and apprehend suspects.
- UCPD encourages the community to use safety services, such as the emergency phones identified by a blue light. When walking to and from campus and Isla Vista locations, you can request an escort by calling (805) 893-2000 or by calling on the emergency phones located throughout the UCSB Campus. For more information: http://www.