Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

Art Installation at Lake Cachuma title=
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

Edhat readers share photos of a local recurring art installation at Lake Cachuma.

By Patti Gutshall

“Sports” Runaway Pavillion, 2017 Powder-coated steel.  Commissioned by the Museum of Contemporary Art, Santa Barbara.  A surprise at the Marina.

By Mardena

We were at Lake Cachuma yesterday and saw this beautiful design of three pyramid-like assemblies donated.  They are colorful and beautiful!  We noticed that Scrub Jays like going inside these structures.

biguglystick Nov 08, 2017 09:50 AM
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

HAHAHA! Some of the comments are hilarious. I'm putting in my two cents. It's art... ok, and I'm all for art, but put it somewhere where there are buildings. A place already marred by man. We go into the mountians of our beautiuful Los Padres National Forest to get AWAY from man-made stuff. It does indeeed mar the beauty of nature, regardless of whether it is art or not. I love our nature, our beautiful wildlife, our open spaces... leave them open and free.

Luvaduck Nov 08, 2017 09:19 AM
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

Without comment on art/not art, I agree with those who feel that a natural setting such as Lake Cachuma is the wrong venue, same with the Chromatic Gate. It's akin to pasting a sequined scarf over the neck of the Mona Lisa and calling it a collage. Didn't some politician--Ashcroft, I think--have the bare breast of a statue in a Justice Department hall draped for "modesty" at public expense? Take away: Politicians should have no say regarding public art. As a group, they have neither taste nor training. What they do privately, be it Elvis on velvet, Campbell's soup cans, Bleeding Heart Jesus or Degas dancers, is nobody's business but theirs--as long as they pay for it themselves.

Flicka Nov 08, 2017 09:09 AM
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

I see nothing wrong with a TEMPROARY installation of colorful art. There are a lot of more important things to complain about.

SBPaul Nov 07, 2017 06:12 PM
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

This was at Harding elementary a couple months ago. Looked out of place in a play ground. At the lake it looks like a someone wearing all white and getting ready to go fishing. What a clever statement.

a-1511034671 Nov 07, 2017 02:37 PM
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

What would I rather do: spend 15 minutes staring at this cringe-worthy "art" installation orrrrrr...listen to Fran Drescher laugh while scratching a blackboard with her fingernails for the rest of my life? Hmmmmm....start scratchin' Fran!!

a-1511034671 Nov 07, 2017 02:24 PM
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

Gross! They need to take this nature distracting mass of color down "yesterday!" Who in their right mind would ever put this out of place mass of color at a lake?

Yeti Nov 07, 2017 02:01 PM
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

I don't know about you, but when I go into the great outdoors to look at the lake, the bald eagles, the national forest..etc. The last thing I want is to have some ridiculous tinker-toy multi colored structure to interfere. IF I want something that is really visually noisy, I can always go stare at the Chromatic Gate and wonder why my tax dollars paid for this too.

TWOSCOOPS Nov 07, 2017 01:34 PM
Art Installation at Lake Cachuma

You can drive to the Lake Cachuma entrance and ask for a 15 minute __free__ pass. This will give you enough time to drive to the art installation and take photos, or just admire the beauty.