By an edhat reader

I have been so surprised to see Summer Camp groups taking place throughout town. If these children can attend camp, why aren’t the schools able to open for the education they deserve?

mm1970 Jul 21, 2020 10:54 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Camps are allowed with particular precautions. If you'll notice, all the camps are outdoors (as opposed to school, which is indoors). The risk of spread of COVID comes predominantly from being indoors, within 6' of others, in large groups, and not wearing masks. From what I've seen and read (I have not registered my children for summer camp, but I still get emails from the old camps) - they are keeping camp groups smaller (5-10), they are outdoors, they are requiring masks, they are shortening the length of camps. (You probably know this, but in school you have a classroom that is indoors with 20-30 students who are less than 3' apart, much less 6'. And good luck keeping 3rd graders wearing their masks all day.) Also, if you've been reading the information from the Public Health department or the state, you'll see that outdoor operations are allowed. (Dining, beauty salons, gym workouts, etc.)

dukemunson Jul 21, 2020 12:22 PM

mm1970 Jul 22, 2020 10:30 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Did you happen to sit in on the school board meeting last night? If not, maybe go online and look up the agenda, reports, etc. They did cover this in detail. The district has been working diligently to cover many options, including full time school, hybrid model, and full distance learning (which is now required by the governor). They have worked up plans and budgets for each, including (but not limited to): purchasing masks and face shields for every student, adding staff to decrease the # of students per class, purchasing tents to allow for outdoor learning, purchasing cleaning supplies, purchasing hotspots for students who do not have internet, etc. It was quite in-depth and color coded by each option. Of course, they aren't going forward with only one option. It's required, for now, to be full distance. However, everyone hopes we will be out of that eventually and plans have already been in the works to transition back to school.

GeneralTree Jul 21, 2020 11:23 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

The only camps that stayed open are the ones where they could be outdoors and safely socially distance - such as surf camp, and the groups are required to be kept smaller.
Do you have kids? I imagine if you did you wouldn't have asked this. Sounds like just agenda pushing, not a real question.

a-1595360583 Jul 21, 2020 12:43 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

GENERALTREE - I have kids and I ask this question as well! If you are going to have outdoor summer camps, fine. But as SBLIFE said - many are NOT wearing masks or distancing. You are required to wear masks outdoors if you can't maintain distance. I would be fine with some sports camps such as surfing, baseball, volleyball where they can be distanced, but just open day camps with tons of little kids in a field are not a good idea at this time.

a-1595362283 Jul 21, 2020 01:11 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

GENERALTREE not true at all. there are plenty of indoor camps (dance) and outdoor camps where social distancing is not happening or even required (soccer and Elings day camp).

GeneralTree Jul 21, 2020 01:59 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

@12:43pm. If you are an adult and have kids then you know you could use Google to find out about the camp requirements. Shut down the crowded camps and indoor camps immediatley.

SBLIFE Jul 21, 2020 11:48 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Saw a video for Eling's summer camp on Facebook this morning. Zero kids wearing masks, social distancing is less than 6ft for sure, and the only adult I saw in the video had a mask on... Around his neck. I pass only minimal judgment as I know kids are going stir crazy and need to get out with their peers, but I hope other camps are doing a better job.

STARSB Jul 21, 2020 12:17 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Santa Barbara Dance Arts has indoor classes for $100 a day for 4 hours ! That's an INSANE amount of money and no way I can afford to send my girls.
Also in the videos I saw them post online they are not 6 feet apart scares me that these are the videos posted, what are they doing when they aren't recording?

PitMix Jul 21, 2020 01:07 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

My neighbor went to Surf Happens for 2 weeks, and is doing an Outdoor Adventure Camp for 2 weeks in August where they take him to places on buses to do outdoor activities. Virus? What Virus?

jmarin Jul 21, 2020 01:41 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

I have my kids at the Y camp. Everything is outdoors. All counselors always have masks. Kids are separated into small pods (groups of 8, siblings are in same pod). Pods aren't allowed to mingle with other pods. Kids are temperature checked every day before being allowed in, then hands are sanitized. Lots of washing stations. Pods go to bathroom at different times. Kids within same pod do not physically touch, although it does happen, because they're kids. The Y is following all the guidelines. They were allowed to open second week of June, before other camps, including city camps because they went over their guidelines with the county and licensing. Kids aren't required to wear masks as it is not a requirement based on their guidelines.

GeneralTree Jul 21, 2020 02:06 PM

City of Santa Barbara Parks and Rec GUIDANCE FOR SUMMER PROGRAMMING
IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19
The City shut down the Parks and Rec camps where kids would need to ride on a bus to get somewhere, or be in morning or afternoon care. The only camps they left open were those that were outdoors and social distancing can be practiced.

NativeofSB Jul 21, 2020 04:28 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

So, I am the person who submitted this question, but my entire comment was not posted. Here it is:
This morning I visited the S.B. Zoo with my daughter and Granddaughter. We all wore our masks and social distanced as required. I was so surprised to see Summer Camp groups at the Zoo. Most children and their leaders were in fact wearing masks, but the social distancing was out the window. I totally get these children needing some normalcy in their lives (we all do), but I don't get the double standard. If these children can attend camp (which by the way is not inexpensive), why aren't the schools able to open for the education they deserve? I would love an answer from Governor Newsom, and our County health department. Hello?? I took a photo, but probably should not post it for privacy reasons. Can't wait to see if Edhat is willing to post this." Apparently Edhat was willing to post a portion of what I had to say, but it was only half the story.

I totally agree with Dukemunson's post "We could do school outside in SB for at least the next 3.5 months... the lack of initiative and creativity out of the school district is staggering." I have to wonder why a teacher, and a school is not considered essential. We have grocery clerks, and food servers face to face with multiple people all day long.

GeneralTree Jul 21, 2020 05:10 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

NativeofSB. If you have a problem how certain summer camps are being run - I'd suggest you call the Public Health Department and share your concerns. As far as your comment "the lack of initiative and creativity out of the school district is staggering" - Are you watching the news - many school districts across many states are doing the EXACT SAME THING. As far as your comment about teachers being considered essential - that question has been answered many times and through many forums - but you may have missed it: The primary transmission of Covid-19 is indoors in closed spaces with the same people for extended periods of time. It sounds like you are ok with teachers risking their lives for your children - apparently all teachers are not ok with you making that decision for them. We get it - the zoo had some kids not social distancing and I'm betting they were young kids - I think you posted this same post elsewhere on edhat. I'm not certain why some agendas want to push all kids and teachers back into school when what will happen is a few cases or outbreaks happen and everyone will be sent home again. The countries that re-opened schools successfully had killed the curve. A recent study has also shown that older children 10 and above spread the disease just as efficiently as adults do.

dukemunson Jul 21, 2020 06:31 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

So your criticism of the comment "the lack of initiative and creativity out of the school district is staggering" is that “many states are doing the EXACT SAME THING.” So... because other states are also bewilderingly lost and seemingly frozen that justifies our own districts complete abdication of duty? We live in a spot that could easily handle outside school for many months. A pathway to 10 person pod classes at least 3 days a week would be quite easy if you have any motivation or interest ... our school district doesn’t... such is life.

GeneralTree Jul 21, 2020 11:03 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Duke, it was the governors call to close schools, not the "abdication of our school district." I read your post to my friend who is a school teacher of the phone and she asked if you were going to fund the labor and materials for outdoor school, and then she laughed and said the idea was short sighted and didn't sound like the idea actually came from a parent.

dukemunson Jul 22, 2020 08:22 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Materials for outside school? That's literally a drop in the bucket. How much does each school get per student from the government to teach them. It would cost very little money to move some classes outside and reduce class size to 10-12 for at least 2-3 days per week. I read your teacher friends comment and it does sound like it came from a teacher...they have no incentive to come back...they are going to be paid irregardless. Santa Barbara has a different situation then many schools in big cities...a clear and easy outdoor option is available at the schools...and that's without even considering utilizing places like the zoo. Next time you talk to your friend, tell her I AM funding the labor and materials for outside school (what little extra that would actually be) each and every time I pay my property tax bill. We just spent how many millions to hire 21 more teachers to...well...do what? Help with the Zoom's? Two days a week...10 person pod classes...no extra money needed...though it would need a little initiative from your friend...

mm1970 Jul 22, 2020 10:34 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

You should read my response to Duke, above. It's obvious by the date on your comment that you wrote it before the school board meeting last night. Since you are a concerned parent (or community member), I'm positive you logged into zoom to hear the plans of what the district has been doing. Also, recognize that the governor is requiring school be virtual until we meet the state requirements for reopening. The plans that were in the works for the district had to be changed last Friday.

420722 Jul 21, 2020 05:10 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Camps have been open for the past month, I’m sure if there was an issue we’d have heard about it by now. My kids have been to camps this summer and are signed up for more so long as they’re still open. No issues whatsoever, the kids are socializing like normal kids, happy and getting vitamin D. Parents are relaxed and happy to have somewhere for their kids to explore or learn something new. I feel sorry for the kids that have parents pumping nothing but fear in anxiety into their precious and fragile minds. No doubt it will have lasting effects on them.

NativeofSB Jul 21, 2020 06:57 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

The point to my post was that if children can go to summer camp, they should be able to go to school. I absolutely think Dukemunson is on to something. Why can't our children go to school in an outside environment? We live in Southern California where the sun shines most every day.
Lucky us! I feel sorry for the children that have been forced into something they have no control over. I also feel for the parents who are trying to work at home to pay the bills, and at the same time try to help their children 24/7. Who is stepping up to the plate to help the children and the parents here?

420722 Jul 21, 2020 09:04 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

I hope that every teacher saying they’re too scared to work in person because of germs are NOT going anywhere where a live person is working & having everything delivered to their door contact free because if they are out there shopping in stores where people are risking their lives to make ends meet that would be awfully hypocritical of them.

Lorax Jul 22, 2020 09:05 AM

Generaltree,
I am surprised your teacher friend doesn't know the Governor gave millions of dollars in funding to schools for protection for personal protective equipment for both teachers and children.

lacumbreresident Jul 22, 2020 09:47 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

To answer the outside schooling question: This has actually been explored by several of the local school districts (you do know there is more than one in SB, don't you?) and for elementary kids that is potentially possible IF there are funds available and physical space on campus which is not a given. You'd need to have space to have all those kids outside for starters (not a given), then you'd need to have shade, so that's tenting or canopies which all cost money that is not , and there is still the issue of how to get all the kids into the bathrooms in small groups with masks on and enforce frequent hand washing etc. However when you get to Jr High and High School there is literally not enough space for all the students to be outside and how on earth are they supposed to move between subject classes when they're supposed to be socially distancing? It would be total chaos and is not possible. Furthermore it is the Governor who has decreed that school be virtual until the numbers are down, not the school district who were, in fact, planning for a hybrid model. Educators, parents, and students want to be together in school, but none of us want deaths and sickness either. Please do your actual homework and try to understand what life in an actual school is really like before having a rant.

dukemunson Jul 22, 2020 10:39 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Every school (in at least the Goleta school district) has more than enough room for outdoor options. I never said fully outdoor, I merely said you could easily set up quite a bit of outdoor availability. Considering the millions spent on 21 new teachers, tents wouldn't have been that difficult. As for bathrooms...the good people at Marborg have quite a few of the nicer bathrooms (with full indoor sinks) that could be utilized. Remember, our tax dollars are paying tens of thousands of dollars for school...there is money. Have some administrators on campus working hands on. Again, the path to 2 days per week is quite straight forward even without going outside! At our school, the average class size is 22-23...getting it down to 10 kids twice a week is easy! And yes, the Governor's heavy handed approach to this massive state is a problem. Santa Barbara and Goleta have much different situations than LA or Sacramento. So yes...there is money...there is space...there is ability...there simply is a lack of initiative. And even if you couldn't pull off Jr High and High school, it would sure make working with your high schooler a lot easier if your 4th grader was in school for at least a couple days a week.

dukemunson Jul 22, 2020 10:45 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

Another point. Private and Public Pre-schools are open (including the "essential worker" pre-schools that have been open since March and are government funded/subsidized)...so...we are OK with kids being with teachers in pre-schools (and paying huge sums of it via the taxes for the government funded ones) yet regular schools aren't OK? Pre-schools have much smaller facilities than our regular schools...but that's OK and not controversial...but having our teachers show up to do 10 person classes is? It's lunacy mixed with idiocy...from the top down!

dukemunson Jul 22, 2020 11:16 AM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

I think keeping schools completely closed is horrible. You probably don't have kids or can work remotely while your spouse is also home...great for you! Most people though are trying to keep their work/lives afloat...2-3 days of school being open should be an easy way to start...

PitMix Jul 23, 2020 01:22 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

You seem to be complaining about a daycare issue. Most developed nations already have good daycare programs in place, the US is one of the few that don't. So I bet it is easier for them to pivot to providing care for kids of essential workers. I agree that with the taxes we pay, these programs should be available to us. But our current leadership has not made this a priority.

dukemunson Jul 23, 2020 03:11 PM
Are Children’s Summer Camps Allowed?

I think elementary school basically is daycare...and considering the money at their disposal, should be happening in person in at least some capacity in August. The Governor, who has done a few good things, is off with the heavy handed county by county approach to closing schools.