Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark title=

Source: City of Santa Barbara

The City Council has designated the Alhecama Theatre a City Landmark.

Part of an arts school campus from 1925 to 1938, the building played an important role in the community offering space for theatre, adult education, and events. In recent years, the Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation restored it to its 1925 condition.

Flicka Oct 05, 2018 04:10 PM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

It a real stretch to suggest Mas Gaviota was advocating for "child molestation" simply by stating the City has nothing to do with the Mission or the former St. Anthony's. And, "assuming" Mas Gaviota is Spanish and likely Catholic. WOW! The point of this post is that the Alacama Theatre now has well deserved historical designation from the City.

yin yang Oct 06, 2018 09:37 PM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

OH, FOUL!!! You are out, Nostra. That is a disgusting allegation, and post. Not downvoting, leaving you out to be shamed.

Mas Gaviota Oct 05, 2018 02:46 PM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

@nostrachumash That was a nice excercise in conflation. Let's recap, this is an article about the Santa Barbara City Council naming a historical landmark. Another poster complained about the fact that the Mission / St Anthony 's have no mention of the suffering of the Chumash or the Catholic Church's molestation scandals. I was pointing out that the City Council has no control over the Mission or St Anthony's (which is now a secular property). I am not Catholic, nor am I an advocate for child molestation. But thank you for your concern, gnomo.

Mas Gaviota Oct 05, 2018 08:58 AM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

Santa Barbara honors it's history. It is one of the reasons that I like this town. If you want to live in a place that does not, I suggest that you move back to L.A. or Orange County.

yin yang Oct 06, 2018 09:34 PM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

But I don't see how that reflects on the Alhecama's status. I have very special memories of going to plays there, for many seasons, with my now-gone father. Not that my experience means anything to historical status. You think filling in that small space with housing would be a good idea? Tell us why.

Mas Gaviota Oct 05, 2018 12:27 PM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

@santabarbaraobserver Nice strawman argument. If you have a problem with the Mission and what went on at St. Anthony seminary, take it up with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, they own the Mission. Here is a link: http://www.la-archdiocese.org/Pages/default.aspx

SantaBarbaraObserver Oct 05, 2018 10:07 AM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

I dont see any historical monuments to the hundreds of murdered and enslaved Chumash at or near the Mission, nor do I see anything resembling a monument for the hundreds of young boys who were raped and molested by the priests that called that place home for decades.... History is not limited to a select period of architectural heritage between 1880-1940, it is important to understand the truth, not just rely on nostalgia.

Flicka Oct 05, 2018 08:58 AM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

The Alacama has been beautifully restored by the Trust for Historic Preservation. It's beautiful inside. I was in 2 plays there (late 40s or early 50s), put on by Mrs. O'Sullivan who had a children's theatre group. Did any other Edhaters participate? The Trust would like to see any old photos you might have. Mike can scan them for their achieves.

mtndriver Oct 05, 2018 08:28 AM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

I agree not everything that's designated a landmark deserves the label--the ugly water treatment building at Sheffield Reservoir comes to mind immediately--but 750 housing units that can't be improved because of landmark status? Can you point us to the source of that info? The Alhecama definitely deserves the designation, IMO.

SantaBarbaraObserver Oct 05, 2018 08:46 AM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

I will try and find the exact article where the city counsel was discussing the figures and the process for inclusion. In the meantime here is the City's own database with over 2600 units listed as historic. Many of these are just basic homes and buildings. Some are indeed historic but do we really need to declare every building that holds someone's memories as historically significant? I dont think so... https://www.santabarbaraca.gov/services/community/historic/hpwa/search.asp

ljmdance Oct 05, 2018 08:27 AM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

I agree that not everything built in the last century merits landmark distinction. This one does, IMHO. I've thought so for decades. Glad to hear it!

SantaBarbaraObserver Oct 05, 2018 07:58 AM
Alhecama Theatre Named a Landmark

Not everything built last century is worthy of a landmark distinction. In fact, I'd say 1 out of 20 buildings classified as such in SB are actually worth preserving or even noting. Someone's nostalgia does not make it historic. The declaration and classification of a parcel / unit as historic is a major cause of our cities lack of housing. I read that there were something like 750 units in our little town that cannot be improved, developed or changed due to someone somewhere thinking they were "historic"...