7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake title=
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

Update by edhat staff

A 7.1-magnitude earthquake hit near Ridgecrest around 8:19 p.m. Friday, just one day after a 6.4-magnitude quake struck in the same area, according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).

Ridgecrest, approximately 210 miles northeast of Santa Barbara, is within San Bernadino County where their Fire Department received multiple reports of fires, injuires, and damage including cracked foundations, shifting homes, and downed retaining walls. The county has activated an emergency operations center.

The nearby Los Angeles County Fire Department also reported downed wires and localized power outages, but no major infrastructure damage. California Gov. Gavin Newsom said he has activated the state emergency operation center to its highest level.  "The state is coordinating mutual aid to local first responders," he tweeted Friday night.

USGS reports this is the strongest earthquake to hit Southern California in nearly 20 years producing more than 1,400 aftershocks with more expected, many of them averaging 4.0 magnitudes.

Similar to Thursday's earthquake, the rolling ground was felt hundreds of miles from the epicenter reaching as far as Mexico and Las Vegas.

Reported by edhat readers

• 8:15 pm, earthquake, another roller

• In downtown SB, watched all the hanging lights sway back and forth for a few minutes. Must be another earthquake

Reported by Roger the Scanner Guy

Another earthquake, if no one else felt it I'm nuts.

Past Articles
 July 4, 2019 - 6.4 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes California

a-1563360182 Jul 07, 2019 06:30 AM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

Dr. Lucy Jones video, major San Andreas earthquake here, water supply network damage: “All aqueducts across the San Andreas to get to southern California will be broken—18 months to repair. Widespread damage to pipes in the ground— 6 months to repair.” She says that “disaster resilience" is having a society that functions after the disaster. Are YOU ready to be part of the problem, or part of the solution? Dr. Jones' video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqVNDBos7Y

Shasta Guy Jul 06, 2019 11:32 AM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

I was on the patio with my iPad and I checked USGS after I felt it which reported it as a 7.1. I posted that on the thread for the 6.4 quake and then Edhat went down for a bit. It got downgraded then upgraded back to 7.1. We’re near the mission, and we got a good shaking which wasn’t letting up. The last time I felt something like that was the Northridge quake when I was living in a second story apt. I’m glad the power stayed on last night.

Flicka Jul 06, 2019 09:36 AM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

The earthquake was first reported as 7.1, then downgraded to 6.9. and soon back to 7.1. Apparently it lasted 30 seconds in Ridgecrest. Seemed to last at least that long at our house (in Carp), my recliner swayed me sideways and all our hanging things, plants, chandler, and other interesting artifacts just kept moving. Grandkids (8 & 6) were really excited to experience an earthquake.

a-1563360182 Jul 06, 2019 08:48 AM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

We were in the process of deep watering our front and backyard lawns when the swaying began. I noticed that a couple of the water puddles were "dancing" and thought I was losing my mind, but then I realized that we were having an earthquake. My initial thought was that it was probably at least a 6.6 or 6.7, but could not believe it when it was reported as a 7.1! I am now definitely a believer in "earthquake weather." The 1925 earthquake happened on June 29th - too much of a coincidence in my opinion.

sbsunshine Jul 05, 2019 10:22 PM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

Big time swaying near El Encanto. Pool water swashing. Parked car moving back and forth. Lasted a long time and definitely felt much stronger than yesterday. And, then aftershocks still happening. Can feel them up above Mission Ridge. Could be an even larger one coming after this as the pressure is still building.

giftedinSB Jul 05, 2019 10:11 PM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

I was at Shoreline Park sitting in my car, when all of a sudden I felt my car rocking side to side. Then my car started shaking slowly and the shaking gradually grew stronger. I found this highly unusual, as my parking brake was engaged. I knew it was an earthquake right away and just rode it out for a solid minute or so - it was crazy!

giftedinSB Jul 05, 2019 10:13 PM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

I thought the epicenter had to be off the coast and am completely shocked (no pun intended) that it was all the way in Ridgecrest! I heard that there is no major structural damage up there, but the residents are definitely rattled.

Shasta Guy Jul 05, 2019 10:07 PM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

We were on our patio and the my chair started rocking like a sideways rocking chair. All five of us felt it, and the hummingbird feeder was swaying pretty good. It lasted a long time. Those poor people in Ridgecrest. This must have caused a lot of damage. I’m definitely restocking my earthquake kit this weekend.

Minibeast Jul 05, 2019 08:26 PM
7.1 Magnitude Earthquake Hits One Day After Initial Quake

8:21 PM ------Top of Olive St and Islay. Definitely slow rolling from east to west and back again. 1/2 reclined, looking out large picture window and could see my huge house moving left to right, left to right, repeatedly.