52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow title=

By Robert Bernstein

This past weekend the Chumash tribe hosted their 52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow at Live Oak Campground. Tribes from at least as far away as the Cree of Alberta, Canada were in attendance. Some attendees had attended every single Pow-Wow going back for 52 years!

Here are my photos, as well as videos of the Grand Entry procession and some of the dancing.

It was a chance for the different tribes to meet and socialize. It was also a chance for a variety of performances and even friendly competition for those performances. With real prize money!

The events began with a low key Gourd Dance.

Then a Grand Entry procession with many tribal members walking and dancing in native dress. Accompanied by traditional chanting and drumming.

After the Grand Entry, tribal members of all ages danced and chanted in the arena

as a narrator explained what we were seeing

I was grateful for those who posed for photos in full traditional dress

This Cree woman had come all the way from Alberta, Canada

There were plenty of native crafts being bought and sold. I bought a traditional rattle from a native craftsperson

as well as this Western traditional wear

from this native vendor

My wife bought these feather earrings from a native craftsperson

And the woman running that stand was a Powhatan from the DC area. We lived at the corner of Powhatan Street when we first moved to the DC area so that brought back a memory for me.

The Pow-Wow was also a chance for action to preserve local lands from the ravages of fracking

And, of course, there was food

We enjoyed an "Indian Taco" made with Fry Bread

We got it from the Roman Nose stand

This sign explained that Roman Nose was a Cheyenne Chief who refused to sign any treaties with the US Government

They also explained that Fry Bread is not a traditional native food. It came about due to US Government restrictions on native livelihood and was made from the materials they were given for bare survival

County Supervisor Das Williams was behind us in line. His wife Jonnie Erika Williams is a Navajo.

Each tribe also had a chance to show off its unique performances. There were also opportunities for young tribal members to perform.

We were very pleasantly surprised that admission was free, with just a small parking fee. Camping was also available for a small fee. Mark your calendar for next year around this time for the next Chumash Pow-Wow. A chance to visit diverse cultures from around North America without leaving home!

1984 Oct 06, 2017 12:39 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

Imho I felt bad vibes , angry spirits and sadness in some of the non solicited Images . Pretty costumes .

a-1507331415 Oct 06, 2017 04:10 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

1984 - I know exactly what you mean. Some people in these photos look, well....grumpy to say the least.

1984 Oct 07, 2017 07:00 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

White Boy .Lol you should see my surfer lay out nude with Norway model Tori Lyn Johansson a shoot off hope ranch beach I was darker than you. surfing naked was normal I totally feel what you are saying . Get that camara out of my face.

a-1507319317 Oct 06, 2017 12:48 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

Why is there an Aztec (or Mayan?) dancer at a Chumash event? I don't understand the connection....

a-1507331359 Oct 06, 2017 04:09 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

Gee...I didn't know it was open to all "ancient" tribes and cultures. Where were the Highlanders and Norsemen then?

a-1507333841 Oct 06, 2017 04:50 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

C'mon. We noticed the white supremacy angle right away. Some people can hear dog whistles.

a-1507333980 Oct 06, 2017 04:53 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

WTH are you talking about? I asked why there was an Aztec dancer at a Native American event out of pure curiosity and you call me a white supremacist? There is nothing I can't stand more than racists, except people like you who "search" for racism in every word. Get a life you loser.

a-1507334391 Oct 06, 2017 04:59 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

I see. Native Americans don't include Aztecs in your world, but good old Aryans should be included. Nope, no racism there.

420722 Oct 06, 2017 07:18 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

Are you ok? You sound like you could use some meds? Clearly this persons comments are NOT racist, he just asked a freaking question and you are having a PC meltdown over nothing! Get with reality, YOU are part of why this country cannot get on the same wavelength. It’s gonna be ok, really.

jqb Oct 06, 2017 11:42 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

Your question makes no sense at all. What part of "hosted an interr-tribal pow-wow" don't you understand?

oceandrew Oct 07, 2017 10:02 AM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

I take it you believe "Native American" should only cover those tribes within the boundaries of the US. And you insistence that southern (Central & South America) or even northern (Canada) tribes don't belong is hard to take. Is it racist? Of course not but culturally nearsighted? Absolutely.

a-1507404553 Oct 07, 2017 12:29 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

"Where were the Highlanders and Norsemen then?"

a) It was a bit far for them to travel.
b) They aren't American.
c) You're an imbecile.

a-1507404723 Oct 07, 2017 12:32 PM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

What makes you think this is "ancient"? You clearly have no idea what culture she represents.

muitobem Oct 07, 2017 10:00 AM
52nd Annual Inter-Tribal Pow-Wow

I attend this every ~5 years or so and am always glad when I do. It's a peaceful, respectful family event that reminds us who was here first. Thanks for the great photos, Robert.