3 Years of Grass Mountain

3 Years of Grass Mountain title=
3 Years of Grass Mountain

By Michael

A few weeks ago, I set out early past Lake Cachuma and Los Olivos on my way to Grass Mountain. It's become a yearly tradition now, after first joining in three years ago along with the crowds that climbed to see the orange fields of poppies a few years ago. Last year, we came late in the spring and any flowers that might have bloomed, as well as the grass that gives the mountain its name, were nearly all dead. Still, even then, it was a beautiful hike with the sunrise striking the sides of tall golden grass, shining and glimmering.

This year, as the forest service has updated, the poppies and other wildflowers were sparse, but the grass was verdant. A low blanket of clouds rolled in near the end of my hike, making what's now the same old hike unique. Once I reached the top, I found that the old, dead tree trunk that I posted two years prior was now gone. I guess that poppies come and go, some years not coming at all; grass lives and dies, sometimes very quickly; and that old trees don't last forever.

Photos are in order of 2016, 2017, and 2018. The first is just before the peak, the second is different shots of Grass Mountain, and photo 3 are portraits from the top of the mountain.

greytfull May 23, 2018 08:37 AM
3 Years of Grass Mountain

Thank you so much for the beautiful images. I've never hiked there, so seeing these comparison shots is not only informative, but gorgeous. Love the dog.

a-1534237022 May 23, 2018 08:24 AM
3 Years of Grass Mountain

Great photos, but difficult for me to look at. I can say that I have NEVER had allergies ("hay fever") in my entire life, but for the past three years from mid-February through May (even today!!) it has been non-stop sneezing, sneezing, sneezing. I swear "they" are putting something in the air to make me sick!! I hear others sneezing away, and wonder if they are experiencing allergies at a later stage in life. My goodness I go through a LOT of tissue, and can't wait for this to stop. (And taking "local" honey does NOT work!!)

tagdes May 24, 2018 10:55 AM
3 Years of Grass Mountain

Exactly who is this "they" that is putting something in the air. Should I check with Hats Unlimited to see if they have anything in aluminum.

pii May 23, 2018 07:55 AM
3 Years of Grass Mountain

I live where I always have great views of Grass Mountain, from about ten miles away. There were some fine splashes of orange up there about a month ago. My impression was that the displays were best on the slopes a little to the east and a little to the west of Grass Mountain.

a-1534237022 May 22, 2018 01:22 PM
3 Years of Grass Mountain

Very few poppies or lupines up here in the mountains and as your photos show lots of grass! Thx for your post

a-1534237022 May 22, 2018 11:09 AM
3 Years of Grass Mountain

Very cool comparisons! You must've missed the poppy bloom this year, it was much, much more vibrant in mid to late April than shown here. You didn't miss much in 2017, it was not nearly as impressive as either 16 or 18.