15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Report of 15 transients on the playground equipment at Vera Cruz Park. It sounds like a takeover.

SBLocalGal Oct 24, 2019 12:46 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

The children's playground near my home has a sign posted that it is only for children up to a certain age. If this playground doesn't have one already, they are certainly entitled to have one. Because it seems like some people are too selfish and/or ignorant to know without being told that these spaces are designated for use by only the children. This doesn't have to be turned into a political issue for it to be a valid concern.

a-1575804720 Oct 24, 2019 09:05 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Everyone can use a public park but what happens when police called for breaking the law? What are laws for loitering, yelling obscenities threatening others, consuming alcohol, using needles, of deficating, urinating, fornicating in public? Why not designate certain public land for homeless? (Then put in bathrooms, showers and storage lockers.)

a-1575804720 Oct 24, 2019 10:45 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

LCP112233 - not sure if you understand your proposal, but a fenced-in piece of land with bathrooms, showers and lockers is also called an internment camp. Are you proposing we round them up and put them into camps? Just trying to help you articulate...

SantaBarbaraObserver Oct 24, 2019 09:22 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

We have these. They are called national forests. There are millions of acres of land where you can live for free. On the most beautiful and bountiful land in the world! But there are no liquor stores, handouts from soft hearted suckers and free food and clothing. So the bums don’t want to actually live free from life’s hassles, they want to live for free in your town, in your yards... Big difference.

PitMix Oct 24, 2019 09:17 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Are you offering your property for this? If so, please contact the City immediately. Because the rest of us are NIMBY on this one.

SantaBarbaraObserver Oct 24, 2019 08:35 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

This park and it’s current state is yet another shining example of why Cathy Murillo is the worst mayor in our city’s history. This is what happens when you elect an inept nincompoop who couldn’t lead her way out of a pantry... the worst part is that she actually thinks she is due a promotion! Phfff

Roger Oct 24, 2019 09:30 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

I don't agree with everything the mayor does but for the most part I think she is doing a good job. I did not vote for her either I voted for Hal to honor an agreement I had with my girlfriend. There are some people here that say she is the worse mayor Santa Barbara has ever had I don't know about that because I'm not that old, I guess in order to know that I'd have to be about 150 years old or so..People sure live along time in Santa Barbara.

PitMix Oct 24, 2019 09:18 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

She wins every time she runs and is running for assembly now. Seems like a lot of people disagree with you.

Z Oct 24, 2019 08:23 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Taken over by transients? Aren't we were all transient. I thought it was being especially nice to have a park for the street people. Very few children in the area around Vera Cruz Park. Not much parking for parents and a restroom shortage too. Maybe the sitty could bus in some permanent children to displace the undesirable transients from the playground area.

a-1575804720 Oct 24, 2019 08:33 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Transient- a person who is staying or working in an area for a short time. How are we all transients?

Coolio Oct 24, 2019 08:12 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

I walk by Vera Cruz Park routinely and you're always guaranteed to see transients sleeping or congregating in that little park. I would never take a child to play in an unsafe environment like that. Why would the city have kids playground there is if it's not going to do something about that situation?

ChillinGrillin Oct 24, 2019 12:18 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

It is tragic to see public spaces taken over by drugs, hobos and trash. Kids can't play in parks when there are liquor mini bottles, broken glass shards, empty coke/meth bags, and even needles lying around. I find at least one, usually several, of these items when I go to most city parks now. We pay too much to live here and tolerate this gradual takeover of public space. At least it's not as bad as LA and Santa Monica....yet.

a-1575804720 Oct 24, 2019 08:55 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Do your civic duty as an American. Stop complaining, get active to change what’s wrong. Every resident must be held accountable for SB.

a-1575804720 Oct 23, 2019 08:20 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Madame Mayor Murillo; When are you going to get our parks back? When are you going to do anything other than attending ribbon cutting ceremonies, left-wing protests, and sexual orientation photo op events? How about at least making some sort of statement about the transient takeover, even if it is a lie? Crickets is not cutting it.

PitMix Oct 24, 2019 11:35 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Maybe you have missed her actions at the weekly council meetings over the last years? More than photo ops, right? SBO, I really want to know what you think the Mayor could have done differently than any other city with this problem. If you don't want to explain they you are just trolling. Please try to propose options consistent with the constitution and also avoid programs that have been tried and discarded in other cities in our state due to legal issues.

a-1575804720 Oct 24, 2019 09:41 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

PITMIX - She could start by actually DOING or SAYING something in public other than photo ops. I haven't heard a "message" from the mayor in any way over the last years.

SantaBarbaraObserver Oct 24, 2019 09:30 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Honestly, if you don’t know, then you are not worth the time to explain. Be aware and pay mind Pit. You are more than capable of deciphering the issues. Or maybe you are just being a troll? That couldn’t be the case now could it?

PitMix Oct 24, 2019 09:21 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

So easy to criticize. Please elaborate on what actions the Mayor could have taken to solve this national problem? Please stick to actions that conform to our Constitution.

PitMix Oct 23, 2019 03:06 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Once the new police station is built, this will be the nicest park in SB. One of the many perks of building it at the Cota lot.

AdamVant Oct 23, 2019 02:45 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

I love it! Vagrants taking over Santa Barbara parks and streets and public spaces. I absolutely love it. When you invite it, revel in it, cheer it on and tolerate it, then you deserve it. Enjoy your vagrants!

Alexblue Oct 24, 2019 08:05 AM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Adamvant do you do anything affirmative, anything at all to make a difference in this community or do you just complain?

Roger Oct 23, 2019 03:44 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

It's only irritating to me because of the Children if I had a kid and I took him or her to a public playground and someone pulled down their pants to dispose of their waste in front of my kid I'd rub their face in it. In fact something like this did happen once here in Santa Barbara I took my Nephew to place arcade games downtown years ago and a grown man put his hands on my 10 year old Nephews back side so I put my hands on the guys face acouple times and I picked him up and threw him in the trash. I do follow the rule of the law...

Roger Oct 23, 2019 03:08 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

OK @Adam your happy they are taking over your no longer allowed to complain about anything you have finally evolved get on down to Vera Cruz and join them.

PitMix Oct 23, 2019 03:05 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

Most of us realize that we have to follow the rule of law. We have currently a prime example of what can happen in the public space when a prominent figure does not. So, unless the US Constitution has been changed, 15 people can congregate in a public space without violating the law. I know how irritating this is to you, but it is true.

a-1575804720 Oct 23, 2019 02:15 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

The homeless have taken over that park for years now. The city needs to taken control back of these parks so the kids have a safe place to play. A few years ago a child was pricked by a used needle. If the city isn't going to monitor and take control back the playground should just be removed all together

a-1575804720 Oct 23, 2019 01:11 PM
15 Transients on Playground Equipment

The new police station should have gone on Vera Cruz park. For the last 30 years that I recall that park has been nothing except a stomping grounds for hobos. Tyranny of the few over the many.