Paddle Out for SBMM: Celebrating the Santa Barbara Channel
Join us for the second annual Paddle Out for SBMM fundraiser on Saturday, June 11, from 1:00-4:00 pm at Leadbetter Beach. This event focuses on SBMM’s mission to “celebrate the Santa Barbara Channel and illuminate our rich connections with the sea.” The community is invited to participate by sponsoring the event or a paddler, paddling out with us (on a self-powered craft), watching from the shore, and attending the opening ceremony. Attendees will enjoy delicious food from Romanti-Ezer, hear surf music by the Wrinkled Teenagers, and have the opportunity to join in beach games and crafts. Once again, this multi-generational event will be launched by our Honorary Chair, surf legend Shaun Tomson, leading all of the paddlers into the water.
For the past two years, the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum has been unable to hold its Annual Gala & Fundraiser because of various pandemic health and safety protocols. So, with the creativity unleashed by Covid last year, SBMM’s staff acted on a novel suggestion made by legendary surfer Shaun Tomson for a way to raise money for its educational programs—a Paddle Out for SBMM—and it was a resounding success. Asked about his suggestion, Shaun replied, “I am a huge fan of the Maritime Museum and its mission. I thought an outdoor event would allow all members of the community to connect directly with the Museum, the ocean and the Santa Barbara Channel.”
Supporting Paddle Out for SBMM helps provide vital general operating funds for SBMM’s exhibits and experiential education programs such as Marine Science, Ocean Connections, Maritime on the Move, and Love Letters to the Sea – all of which encourage the protection and preservation of our fragile, limited natural resources for generations to come. Public support underwrites this unique and important event and fosters SBMM’s work to educate and connect the community with the past, present, and future of the Channel.
EVENT TIMELINE (Event changes may occur based on current Santa Barbara County safety restrictions)
12:00 – 1:00 pm Paddler Check-In/Registration, Leadbetter Beach
1:00 – 1:30 pm Welcome, Leadbetter Beach
1:30 – 2:30 pm Paddle Out from Leadbetter Beach towards Hendry’s (course may change depending on the weather)
1:00 – 4:00 pm Picnic, Leadbetter Beach (registration required)
Additional event information & sponsor benefits can be found at: https://sbmm.org/santa-barbara-event/paddle-out-for-sbmm/
SPECIAL REGISTRATION & EVENT NOTES:
• Registration fee covers a donation to SBMM, a hat, and food, catered by Romanti-Ezer, beginning at 1:00 pm.
• Youth under 17 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
• Paddlers are required to sign a Release of Liability Agreement to participate.
• Paddlers must wear or have a flotation device on board their craft.
• The cost for both paddlers and observers is: Adults (over 18) = $75. Ages 6-17 = $40.
• Paddlers may join with a self-powered craft, i.e. SUP, surfboard, kayak, canoe, dory, rowboat, sailboat, or outrigger. Need to rent? Contact our Harbor partner, Paddle Sports Center (paddlesportsca.com or 805-617-3425), for a 10% SBMM membership rate.
• A limited number of complimentary Paddle Out registrations, donated by sponsors, are available. Contact us at email@example.com for further information.
• Want to make an even greater impact? Help raise funds for SBMM programs, exhibits, lectures, and more while you’re paddling. Invite your network of friends and family to sponsor your paddle, collect their contributions, and present the funds to SBMM. Need help? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
THANKS TO OUR PADDLE-OUT-FOR-SBMM SPONSORS:
Channel Champions: John and Tracie Doordan, Mimi Michaelis, Chuck & Mary Wilson, and George & Judy Writer
Coastline Crew: Susan Sheller & Bob Roe
|Paddle Out for SBMM||426.95 KB|