Free Innovation Showcase scheduled for May 21
The Santa Barbara County Education Office is pleased to present the annual Showcase of Innovative Learning on May 21, 2019, from 4-7 p.m. at the Santa Barbara County Education Office Auditorium. This event is an opportunity for educators to experience students and educators sharing exemplary innovative educational technology practices to implement the California State Standards in an engaging manner.
Registration is free and includes dinner, exposure to new digital tools, and a chance to win great prizes.
Confirmed presenters include:
- Graciela Romero of Solvang School – She will share the endangered animal videos her students created.
- Justin Frasier of Delta High School – He will share the VEX robotics program and video games his students designed.
- Katherine Barbour of Patterson Road Elementary School – She will share the Flipgrid videos her students have created to help them learn about math.
- Chris Hanna from Ellwood Elementary School – He will share the coding his students have been learning with Sphero Robots.
- Paul Koskie from Lompoc Valley Middle School – Paul will bring students to fly CoDrones, miniature drones.
- Dave Lovejoy and Robert Cooper from the Santa Barbara Unified School District – They will demonstrate virtual reality creation tools.
- Veronica Tadeo of Fessler Junior High School – She will demonstrate assessments using Google Forms and Google Keep.
- Daniel Barrett of Peabody Charter School – He will share the scaling and modeling his students have learned using 3D printers.
- Linda Sparkuhl of El Camino School – Linda will share her Destination Imagination project, a STEAM-based competition with performance tasks to be demonstrated. Linda’s team advanced to the state level competition and will be providing opportunities for others to experience a competition level challenge!
Movies Orcutt will share the winning entries in the Orcutt Union School District Educational Media Innovation Awards.
In addition to the teacher presentations, the following vendors will be sharing their products and raffling off prizes – Sphero (Sphero Bolt robot), MakeBlock (1 mBot explorer kit, Cody Rocky robot), BlocksCad (1 year subscription for 30 students), Sony Koov (KOOV starter kit), Alissa Mrazek (2 Presence of Mind books), Robolink (1 CoDrone flying drone), Little Bits (1 little Bits Code Kit, 1 Little Bits Droid Kit), Primo Toys Cubetto Bellow Group (Omni 20 power bank), PIPER (1 PIPER kit), and Lesson Planet (10 $100 gift cards). The products will be raffled off at the end of the event.
Registration required to ensure enough dinner is ordered. Sign up here: http://sbceo.org/s/silregister