When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Scroll through the Palminteri shove in the above photos

By edhat staff

KEYT reporter John Palminteri has gone viral in local channels for pushing a photobombing selfie taker out of his live camera shot on Tuesday.

Palminteri was reporting live from the downtown area when KEYT news anchors C.J. Ward and Beth Farnsworth sent the camera to Palminteri's view. For a few seconds, you can see a teenager attempting to take a "selfie" with the veteran newsman before he quickly, and promptly, pushes him out of the live camera shot before reading the news.

Live newscasters have to put up with a lot. The weather, finding people to interviews, asking tough questions, staying composed, looking great, photobombers, selfie-takers, the ever-annoying person who waves in the background. It's a tough job but John Palminteri has been Santa Barbara's man on the street for years sending news we can trust. His nickname is Primetime for a reason.

Now he has reached immortal fame in the GIF world. Enjoy the viral fame Primetime! Here's hoping the likes of Jimmy Kimmel increase your viral status.

via GIPHY

yin yang Feb 15, 2020 05:06 AM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Of course not. ;-) I lost it a few times in five to six years in a customer service job, I lost my cool and got snippy. I think I got one written complaint from a customer. Had to be bad to get that. It was an issue on my annual reviews every year, there was training, a plan, future evaluation. All the stuff that should be done for any employee who pops off -- like Palminteri did. I did have some issues; I did take some leave one year due to a family member's illness and surgery. If something like that plays a part in his stress level, JP should do the same. Yes, I know how lucky I was to have such a good job that I had med insurance. But access to leave? That was through lawful family leave. Just state? State and federal? I don't remember and thank goodness I no longer need to even know. Talk to HR if you have any or search family or personal medical leave california. Just like we need to be informed medical consumers to not be ripped off, the same goes for government benefits that WE'VE PAID INTO.

NamasteYogi Feb 15, 2020 06:40 AM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Great point, you’re so right! The discriminatory behavior of most people in this town, of course in the name of equality, would have people ip in arms if it was hispanic, homeless or a even a real estate agent. But John probably would of posed if it was a real estate agent or a nice tall Swedish woman.

Minibeast Feb 14, 2020 06:43 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Please, everyone: look at the video. The young guy is grinning ear to ear as he's being pushed out of the way. This was all some big joke to him. I hope KEYT is judicious and understands that JP did nothing wrong whatsoever.

a-1581787625 Feb 15, 2020 09:27 AM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

LOL! JP lost his temper over an obnoxious teenager and decided to put both his hands on him and physically and forcefully push him. Unfortunately for JP that act is legally defined as assault. And it’s on tape. Not looking good for the Palm. I showed my attorney uncle the video and he said if he weren’t retired he would take the case against JP and that he knows of dozens of similar “pushing/shoving” cases won with much less aggressive shoving taking place.

a-1581751755 Feb 14, 2020 11:29 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

ANYTIME you put your hands on someone in that manner you open yourself up to criminal charges. JP is apparently a local celebrity and the person rude or not, was trying to get a selfie with him. A simple “get the hell out of here” would have been enough. The temper loss and the shoving is beyond what the person with the phone was doing.

a-1581733265 Feb 14, 2020 06:21 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

I’m generally not in favor of “stand your ground” laws, but I would be in this case. Palminteri should have the right to stand his ground in a situation like this.

a-1581730833 Feb 14, 2020 05:40 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

I think The Palm had every legal right in the world to shove that kid away. If someone throws a fake punch at you, and your reaction is to throw a real punch, well, what's that called? Defending yourself is what it's called. Not your fault if the fake puncher gets his teeth bashed in and/or clocked on the side of the head with a roundhouse kick. Like the idiots who point a toy gun at a cop or CCW holder....see ya, wouldn't want to be ya! If it does go to court, I'd like to be on the jury to defend The Palm's honor....and the honor of all true Santa BARBARIANS.

jqb Feb 15, 2020 12:24 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

"I think The Palm had every legal right in the world to shove that kid away. " -- Sad for you, because it's a fact that he doesn't. If you had said "moral" rather than "legal", you would have a point. "Not your fault if the fake puncher gets his teeth bashed in and/or clocked on the side of the head with a roundhouse kick." -- you seem remarkably uninformed. Don't you even watch TV, where both parties in a fight routinely get hauled before a judge? "If it does go to court, I'd like to be on the jury to defend The Palm's honor" -- then you too would be breaking the law, and your oath (hmm, sounds familiar).

a-1581752007 Feb 14, 2020 11:33 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

How on the heck was a defending himself? From someone ruining his camera shot. Give me a break! This person was not even facing JP and was NO physical threat to him. On the other hand JP could have caused great bodily harm if this kid had fallen after that shove and gotten his head. It was incredibly beyond called for. Physical violence when no one is threatening you is against the law. Period.

giftedinSB Feb 14, 2020 04:50 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

While Palminteri was well within his right to kick (figuratively) the kid out of his shot, I feel that Palminteri's response was rather aggressive. Look at his face and how strongly he pushed the kid. He could have gently nudged the kid or motioned for him to get lost, but instead he gave the kid a hard shove. Palminteri could land himself in hot water for this one.

a-1581728759 Feb 14, 2020 05:05 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Oh give me a break, "hot water" for this? You're acting like he punched the self-entitled kid, who, by the way, looks to be the first to make contact. That kid deserved it. Chalk it up to what it is - a funny clip.

Roger Feb 14, 2020 04:24 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

That little shove from the Palm was nothing the little SNOT was crossing the line and if he even touched John alittle which it looks like he did it could be an Assault on his self as his selfie is the proof. You can't just go around running into people to get your picture taken even if you are 10 years old.

a-1581726050 Feb 14, 2020 04:20 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

The best punishment would be to take his phone away for a week and only return it to his parents. Or, if in a really bad mood, toss it out onto State Street in the path of a vehicle. That'd fix his little wagon as they used to say.

yin yang Feb 15, 2020 01:27 AM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Yeah, I find these multiple references to "child," "kid," and "his parents," as if he has zero autonomy, very strange! He doesn't look that young to me, and even if he were under 18, parents aren't fully responsible.

yin yang Feb 15, 2020 01:31 AM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Bebe @ 4:26, why are you making up an entire timeline, complete with alternative actions and states of mind and full of "ifs" and "ors," to justify an event for which no one but the participants and a few direct witnesses have knowledge of?!

yin yang Feb 15, 2020 12:57 AM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Many good points, but even more assumptions, therealbebe. Also, in general, I cannot see how there is any reasonable fear on a daylight SB street with witnesses, the public and a colleague filming! Fear would be your rapist coming for you or your family. Let's keep our priorities reasonable!

MountainMan4865 Feb 14, 2020 08:02 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Nope, sorry.... referring to this person as a "child" and a "kid"... that looks like a full blown adult. My Son is 24... looks around the same age. At what age do you expect people to act with responsibility for their own actions - like interfering with a live news cast?

GeneralTree Feb 14, 2020 07:23 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Well, I think you might need to look at law. It's a first Amendment right to photograph in public - whether the other person wants to be on film or not. Otherwise, it wouldn't be legal for KEYT to film in public. The kid didn't touch palm or place his hands on him - or use menacing or threats. Escalating the situation to shoving was a simple assault.

a-1581736868 Feb 14, 2020 07:21 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

You're assuming alot here. If you are in public view one can take pictures of you whether you like it or not - that's the law. There is no reasonable expectation of privacy in a public space. Doesn't look like the kid touched him. I don't see any evidence the minor blocked his way from movement or exit. The kid has every right to be taking pictures there just as keyt has every right to film. Was it rude to get in the shot - yes. That push was an assault though and I bet we'll be hearing more about this in the next few days.

therealbebe Feb 14, 2020 04:26 PM
When Push Comes to Shove, Palminteri Gets the Job Done

Not so fast. If JP had already told the kid to get out of his personal space/no you may not take my picture/etc and the child proceeded to do so OR the kid was somehow physically blocking JP from being in the space where he needed to be (because the shot was already set up), JP need only have experienced a reasonable fear or threat in order to move the child out of his personal space. JP could charge the kid with assault and claim self-defense. Study the law, General.

Pages