By an edhat reader

A friend just moved to town and has never eaten Indian food before (I know!). Without traveling far and wide, what local Indian restaurants would edhat readers recommend?

SBLinda Jan 16, 2020 09:54 PM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Flavor of India. I was going to say Tamira is 2nd best, so I am sorry to hear they have closed. I'm not impressed with Masala Spice on Calle Real.

omboy Jan 16, 2020 12:48 PM
Indian Restaurant Referral

LOVE Flavor of India, even the buffet is great! Masala Spice in Goleta is good, but Flavor is best.

ACF Jan 16, 2020 12:10 PM
Indian Restaurant Referral

I was so disappointed in Bibi Ji. There were no Indian spices in the Indian food I ordered. Bland!

LouWho Jan 16, 2020 09:19 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Marsala Spice in Goleta is amazing. Get the Dosa (a cooked flat thin layered rice batter, originating from South India, somewhat similar to a crepe in appearance). I think they are the only Resturant in town that serves Dosa. Lots of vegan and vegetarian options on the menu. And the owner puts a lot of love into every dish!!!

Lin Jan 16, 2020 09:08 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Naan stop in IV is the best Indian food in the area. Can students be wrong!

lmacartist Jan 16, 2020 08:19 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

We really like Apna in the 700 block of State. Really nice people, and wonderful flavors! Bibi Ji is good, but the menu is limited and it is severely noisy (and more expensive).

giftedinSB Jan 15, 2020 01:20 PM
Indian Restaurant Referral

I'm a big fan of Himalayan Kitchen. Not Indian, but the flavor profile is very similar, just not as spicy. My favorite dishes there are the Chicken Biryani or Chicken Tikka Masala! They have many vegetarian options as well.

studio2 Jan 15, 2020 11:37 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Bibi Ji hands down. I've been to Flavor of India, and it doesn't even compare. They are only open for dinner though, and a reservation is recommended.

EMI Photo Jan 15, 2020 05:42 PM
Indian Restaurant Referral

I've found Bibi Ji to be grossly over priced and sadly not open for lunch. The food Ive tried was tasty enough but not very authentic compared to other India cuisine Ive sampled on at least 3 different continents (sadly, I've not yet visited India) That said, its a fair choice to try.

a-1579806984 Jan 15, 2020 11:47 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

I've never been to Bibi Ji (definitely want to go!) but isn't it more Indian/Asian fusion and not traditional Indian?

a-1579806984 Jan 15, 2020 10:32 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Geez. Now I’m missing Paul Bhalla’s (not the Tiger skin on the wall, though) and that great place that was on Calle Real in Goleta.

EMI Photo Jan 15, 2020 10:02 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Flavor of India and Masala Spice are both fantastic. Both have nice buffets that provide a sampling of many different flavors. Masala Spice (in Goleta) has great vegan options as well if thats a concern.

a-1579806984 Jan 15, 2020 09:15 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

What are some favorite dishes to order? I haven't had Indian food in a long time and want to make sure I order the right stuff.

a-1579806984 Jan 15, 2020 11:46 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Chicken tikka masala is always great, same with lamb korma. Sag paneer and Malai kofta are my favorite veggie dishes though!

a-1579806984 Jan 15, 2020 11:43 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Navratan Korma is one of my favorites, never fails! Also, Malai Kofta comes in next, followed by Sag Paneer. And of course ALWAYS garlic naan or the onion bread.These are all veggie dishes though, I can't make any meat suggestions b/c when I go Indian, I go veg! Now I want Indian!

a-1579806984 Jan 15, 2020 09:11 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

I really like Flavor of India on State Street and De La Vina.

sacjon Jan 15, 2020 09:10 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

Flavor of India....always! Everything tastes fresh and amazing. Steer clear of buffets, it's never fresh or as flavorful. Dang.... now I'm all hungry!

Sam The Dog Jan 15, 2020 09:07 AM
Indian Restaurant Referral

If you want to give them the best impression of Indian food don't go to a buffet... better bring some friends and order a plate of everything, cooked to order, to share and see what they like.