Indian Restaurant

A friend just moved to town and has never eaten Indian food before (I know!). Without traveling far and wide, what local Indian restaurants would edhat readers recommend?

a-1579107646 Jan 15, 2020 09:00 AM
Indian Restaurant

Tamira...get the buffett and a mango lassi.

Sam The Dog Jan 15, 2020 09:07 AM
Indian Restaurant

If you want to give them the best impression of Indian food don't go to a buffet... better bring some friends and order a plate of everything, cooked to order, to share and see what they like.

EMI Photo Jan 15, 2020 10:00 AM
Indian Restaurant

Tamira is out of business

sacjon Jan 15, 2020 09:10 AM
Indian Restaurant

Flavor of India....always! Everything tastes fresh and amazing. Steer clear of buffets, it's never fresh or as flavorful. Dang.... now I'm all hungry!

a-1579108266 Jan 15, 2020 09:11 AM
Indian Restaurant

I really like Flavor of India on State Street and De La Vina.

a-1579108513 Jan 15, 2020 09:15 AM
Indian Restaurant

What are some favorite dishes to order? I haven't had Indian food in a long time and want to make sure I order the right stuff.

a-1579117419 Jan 15, 2020 11:43 AM
Indian Restaurant

Navratan Korma is one of my favorites, never fails! Also, Malai Kofta comes in next, followed by Sag Paneer. And of course ALWAYS garlic naan or the onion bread.These are all veggie dishes though, I can't make any meat suggestions b/c when I go Indian, I go veg! Now I want Indian!

a-1579117595 Jan 15, 2020 11:46 AM
Indian Restaurant

Chicken tikka masala is always great, same with lamb korma. Sag paneer and Malai kofta are my favorite veggie dishes though!

EMI Photo Jan 15, 2020 10:02 AM
Indian Restaurant

Flavor of India and Masala Spice are both fantastic. Both have nice buffets that provide a sampling of many different flavors. Masala Spice (in Goleta) has great vegan options as well if thats a concern.

a-1579113142 Jan 15, 2020 10:32 AM
Indian Restaurant

Geez. Now I’m missing Paul Bhalla’s (not the Tiger skin on the wall, though) and that great place that was on Calle Real in Goleta.

studio2 Jan 15, 2020 11:37 AM
Indian Restaurant

Bibi Ji hands down. I've been to Flavor of India, and it doesn't even compare. They are only open for dinner though, and a reservation is recommended.

a-1579117642 Jan 15, 2020 11:47 AM
Indian Restaurant

I've never been to Bibi Ji (definitely want to go!) but isn't it more Indian/Asian fusion and not traditional Indian?

EMI Photo Jan 15, 2020 05:42 PM
Indian Restaurant

I've found Bibi Ji to be grossly over priced and sadly not open for lunch. The food Ive tried was tasty enough but not very authentic compared to other India cuisine Ive sampled on at least 3 different continents (sadly, I've not yet visited India) That said, its a fair choice to try.

giftedinSB Jan 15, 2020 01:20 PM
Indian Restaurant

I'm a big fan of Himalayan Kitchen. Not Indian, but the flavor profile is very similar, just not as spicy. My favorite dishes there are the Chicken Biryani or Chicken Tikka Masala! They have many vegetarian options as well.

VRneighbor Jan 16, 2020 07:21 AM
Indian Restaurant

Flavor of India! Love their saag.

rubyfoo Jan 16, 2020 08:12 AM
Indian Restaurant

Masala Spice. Great food, nice people.

lmacartist Jan 16, 2020 08:19 AM
Indian Restaurant

We really like Apna in the 700 block of State. Really nice people, and wonderful flavors! Bibi Ji is good, but the menu is limited and it is severely noisy (and more expensive).

Lin Jan 16, 2020 09:08 AM
Indian Restaurant

Naan stop in IV is the best Indian food in the area. Can students be wrong!

LouWho Jan 16, 2020 09:19 AM
Indian Restaurant

Marsala Spice in Goleta is amazing. Get the Dosa (a cooked flat thin layered rice batter, originating from South India, somewhat similar to a crepe in appearance). I think they are the only Resturant in town that serves Dosa. Lots of vegan and vegetarian options on the menu. And the owner puts a lot of love into every dish!!!

ACF Jan 16, 2020 12:10 PM
Indian Restaurant

I was so disappointed in Bibi Ji. There were no Indian spices in the Indian food I ordered. Bland!

omboy Jan 16, 2020 12:48 PM
Indian Restaurant

LOVE Flavor of India, even the buffet is great! Masala Spice in Goleta is good, but Flavor is best.

SBLinda Jan 16, 2020 09:54 PM
Indian Restaurant

Flavor of India. I was going to say Tamira is 2nd best, so I am sorry to hear they have closed. I'm not impressed with Masala Spice on Calle Real.