Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

Update by California Highway Patrol

Date: 12/13/2019
Time: 01:16
Location: US-101 SB north of Garden Street
Pedestrian: 21-year-old male of Oak Park, succumbed to injuries (name pending next of kin notification)
Driver: Charles C. Hudson, 56-year-old male of Loma Linda, driving a 2017 Freightliner Truck Tractor, no injuries

Summary:

On December 13, 2019, at approximately 1:16 A.M., a fatal traffic collision occurred on US-101 southbound just north of Garden Street.  A 2017 Freightliner Truck Tractor was traveling southbound within the number 3 lane of US-101.  A pedestrian ran from the center divider of the freeway, across the southbound traffic lanes, directly in front of the Freightliner.  The pedestrian was struck by the Freightliner in the number 3 lane of US-101.

The Freightliner came to rest within the number 3 lane adjacent to the gore point of the Garden Street exit.  The pedestrian came to rest on the right shoulder of US-101southbound, north of Garden Street.  The California Highway Patrol (CHP), Santa Barbara City Fire Department, and American Medical Response ambulance company (AMR) responded to the collision scene.  The pedestrian succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased on scene.  The collision remains under investigation at this time.  It is unknown if alcohol and/or drugs were a factor in this collision.  Victim information will be releasable through the Santa Barbara County Coroner's office after next of kin have been notified.

By an edhat reader

Report via scanner traffic that a pedestrian was struck and killed on the Garden Street offramp by a semi at approximately 1:15 am. Initial reports indicate the victim was a 20 year-old male. CHP requested a closure of the off-ramp by Cal/Trans for the investigation.

CGinSB Dec 14, 2019 05:43 PM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

A few years ago the body of a Dos Pueblos student was found on the side of the 101 north of Storke / Glen Annie bridge. Apparently she had been running across (a couple of days before she was found). The article said that it was not uncommon for some kids to take a “shortcut”.

mtndriver Dec 14, 2019 10:39 AM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

Oh, that is horrible, 21 years old, what a waste. I really feel for the driver. Roger said people do this often, I didn't realize that. Will be on the lookout in future! Oak Park is close to Agoura, east of Thousand Oaks. I thought it was near Ojai, confused it with Oak View.

Lucky 777 Dec 14, 2019 07:45 AM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

I read this yesterday and immediately looked up the "gore point" and posted a Wiki explanation but the Nanny removed it because I also made a bit of a mention that perhaps it was the gore from the deceased. I guess that wasn't funny.

a-1576297491 Dec 13, 2019 08:24 PM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

The decedent's address is listed as "Oak Park," which, as it turns out, is in the unincorporated area of Ventura. At first I thought maybe we were now assigning local parks as addresses for vagrants.

a-1576301094 Dec 13, 2019 09:24 PM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

Knowing nothing about the decedent, he is still mocked in his death... Classy. NOT. I too looked up "Oak Park" but I thought it was near Oak View, not the park on Alamar.

JB86 Dec 13, 2019 07:09 PM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

I was the Edhat reader who made the initial report. I had the same question as Rinconer after hearing the incident. Crossing the 101 at that point made no sense, but who knows what was going through the decedent's mind at the time, or if he was impaired somehow.

a-1576286124 Dec 13, 2019 05:15 PM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

Almost hit someone a few weeks ago that was running across the freeway, really close call. Ughhh stupid people!!!

oceandrew Dec 13, 2019 04:18 PM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

Forgive me for being dense but what is "the gore point of the Garden Street exit"? Technically english is my second language so I looked it up and can't find any references. Can anyone assist?

macpuzl Dec 13, 2019 04:27 PM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

The gore points are those little triangular (usually) unused bits of pavement and landscaping between the two lanes (main and exit/entry) as they diverge/converge.

Rinconer Dec 13, 2019 11:24 AM
Man Dies Attempting to Cross Highway 101

At the risk of stating the obvious, Garden St. has a safe pedestrian crossing under the freeway, so his intention was likely suicide.
R.I.P. to him and the traumatized truck driver.