Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek

Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek title=
Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek

By an edhat reader

I was hiking up tunnel trail on Thursday and was surprised to see the road marked at closed at the gate with rocks blocking entrance. I climbed over these, and noticed significant work had been done to widen and scrape the road. Once I got to the bridge by the water tunnel, I noticed that mission creek had been filled up with rocks below the bridge from the road widening. Also, workers a short ways after the bridge told me that the road/trail up to inspiration point was closed due to heavy equipment. Hopefully they will be cleaning these rocks out of the creek and not just leaving them there, that would likely be bad for the creek ecosystem and water flow during storms.

TheTek Dec 16, 2019 11:09 AM
Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek

A neighbor really called 911 last night, when they arrived she told them she was fine. She wanted to make sure they could get into the building incase there were an actual emergency. Read through the lines here??

PitMix Dec 16, 2019 09:45 AM
Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek

Call the Regional Water Quality Control Board up in San Luis Obispo. They did illegal grading in Honda Valley Park and I contacted several City agencies but no one seemed to know anything about it. Once I talked to the RWQCB they were able to get the agency to go out and remediate the site before the next rain storm, like they should have done as part of the grading project.

a-1576433349 Dec 15, 2019 10:09 AM
Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek

It's a creek bed. Made of rocks. No mater how often radar readers and news fear mongers attempt to scare the populous, these are Not debris flow channels. They're creeks. And 90% of the year they're dry creek beds. Stop the paranoia.

SBZZ Dec 15, 2019 09:55 AM
Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek

Totally illegal! I am not exactly sure what the facts are here, but one cannot indiscriminately dump road cuttings, much less anything else into a drainage. Ask the Forest Service about it - they got busted for it a few years ago and it changed their routine. And to 859 AM, yes creeks evolve naturally on their own, but with man's influence, not so much - that is why so much effort goes into protecting them.

a-1576361888 Dec 14, 2019 02:18 PM
Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek

I once caught "workers" who were building a wall for me dumping the excess cement-based mortar into the French drain pipe at the bottom of the wall. As you may know, one purpose of a perforated French drain is to drain excess water away from structures. Filling the drain, even partially, with mortar is a stupid thing to do. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that "someone" thought it would be an okay thing to just dump rocks into a creek.

a-1576427449 Dec 15, 2019 08:30 AM
Rocks Dumped into Mission Creek

Did you ask them why they were pouring mortar down the french drain? Sounds like you assumed the worst never considering the merits of hardening the start of the run so the seepage expected from such a drain occurred further down the line away from the source. But hey, outrage is all the rage here.