Donkey for Hire

Does anyone have a gentle donkey we can use for Las Posadas, the re-enactment of Mary and Joseph's journey to Bethlehem? It is for the Trust for Historic Preservation and the burro will be paid for its efforts. He would be ridden by a little 6 year old girl. A mini would be good, or if not, a regular size one.

Shasta Guy Dec 05, 2019 10:40 AM
Donkey for Hire

You should contact First United Methodist Church in downtown SB. They have a manger scene every year with live animals, so they might know who to contact.

a-1575574780 Dec 05, 2019 11:39 AM

FYI a 6 year old is too much weight for a miniature donkey

a-1575630229 Dec 06, 2019 03:03 AM
Donkey for Hire

I think a donkey, even a mini, could handle 30 or so pounds? Can't they?

a-1575653098 Dec 06, 2019 09:24 AM

6 year olds weigh more than 30lbs

jqb Dec 06, 2019 12:20 PM
Donkey for Hire

Average weight of a six year old is about 45 lbs.

shorebird Dec 05, 2019 12:59 PM
Donkey for Hire

Putting a 6 years old on an unknown donkey? Sound somewhat dangerous.

Flicka Dec 05, 2019 06:46 PM
Donkey for Hire

We have used Mini donkeys for years. The 1st was Sophia owned by a delightful man who took her to birthday parties for kids to ride; he knew what his burro could carry and how gentle she is. Unfortunately they moved to Oregon. Ponies and donkeys are stronger than horses in the amount of weight they can carry in relation to their bodies. In recent years we had a darling little donkey who finally aged out. A somewhat "unknown donkey"? The owner knows what the pet can do and how it will behave. For 18 years there has been a different "Mary" who didn't "know the burro" with no problems. When I was 6 I rode a donkey, I was Mary, in the Christmas parade and didn't meet it until parade lineup. No problems. . Please, if anyone can help we would greatly appreciate it. And, the little animal will be well compensated. Thank you, SHASTA GUY, for your recommendation.

a-1575699236 Dec 06, 2019 10:13 PM
Donkey for Hire

The Mission also has a manger with live animals.

yacht rocked Dec 05, 2019 08:41 PM
Donkey for Hire

Los Padres Outfitters behind Carp?

Flicka Dec 06, 2019 08:18 AM
Donkey for Hire

Where ever a poster got the idea to claim I think "animals were put here for use and abuse" is really barking up the wrong tree. Where in heavens name did that come from? Asking for a donkey a child can ride, for about an hour, in a Las Posadas Christmas event sure got some strange responses; I'm guessing from people who have no experience with these animals.

Z Dec 06, 2019 09:09 AM
Donkey for Hire

Leastways they won't be sacrificing a cute donkey after the festivities. No barbecue, for the humans, just alfalfa for the ass.

Shasta Guy Dec 06, 2019 08:04 PM
Donkey for Hire

I hope you find one. They can make wonderful lifetime memories. We just don’t have enough contact with animals which is I why I loved taking my kids when they were young to the manger scene at the Mission every year.

a-1575695799 Dec 06, 2019 09:16 PM
Donkey for Hire

Who cares if an animal gets stressed out?

EastBeach Dec 07, 2019 12:22 PM
Donkey for Hire

I doubt a domesticated donkey would get stressed out especially if its owner is present and knows its social skills are adequate (something I can't say about some Edhat posters). Miniature donkeys especially since they're sometimes treated like pets. Wild burros are a different story - independent souls they are but fun to watch through binoculars. Load capacity for a miniature varies depending on size/age and is higher for short durations (which a manager enactment would be). The owner would be the best judge.

Flicka Dec 07, 2019 08:23 AM
Donkey for Hire

9:16 pm, What animal is going to get stressed? In 18 years of using donkeys none have been stressed, they loved the petting and attention, remained quiet and gentle.