What Are These?

By an edhat reader

There are several of these down by the bike path along E Cabrillo Blvd. I'm guessing they are to aid the navigation of boats off the coast? Any insight would be appreciated.

holazola Nov 19, 2019 05:47 PM
What Are These?

Here is a little summary info I had - I'll see if I can find the source somewhere: At this location are a pair of markers, that when viewed from offshore, indicate a Nautical Mile from the harbor breakwater next to the Yacht Club. There are another pair one mile further east just below the cemetery . These markers have been used for over 100 years for measuring a ship's speed over the "measured mile course". Several new Navy vessels in the Early 1900's completed their acceptance testing here, proving they could maintain at least 20 knots over the course.

CaptainObvious Nov 20, 2019 06:54 AM
What Are These?

I'd wager that the last soul who used those markers in any official sense, has long since set sail from this earthly realm, taking their taffrails and chip logs along with them. Aye wonder if using them Nav Aids will stir the souls of dead seamen to life.

Flicka Nov 19, 2019 04:06 PM
What Are These?

It would be interesting to get to the bottom of this for a definite answer. Anyone willing to do a little research?

patrick Nov 19, 2019 02:41 PM
What Are These?

You’ll notice that there are pairs of them. When on a boat offshore and moving along the beach, they are used to measure a mile distance, from the location where one pair aligns to the point where the next pair aligns. Commonly called a “range”.

mattyboy Nov 19, 2019 10:16 AM
What Are These?

ZeroHawk Nov 19, 2019 09:45 AM
What Are These?

...its more "art". I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the anchorage. anchorage 'moves' this time of the year anyway, further and further away from the wharf. I'll ask a friend who's anchored out there, but as a sailor myself, i'm pretty confident these are not for mariners.

a-1575765259 Nov 19, 2019 09:21 AM
What Are These?

They are to assist mariners in anchoring their boat at Fools Anchorage off of East Beach, boats are only allowed to be anchored in a certain area. I believe there are sets of signs, and their visual positions relative to each other (as seen from a boat) will let the captain know if they are in an allowable position to anchor.

porkrind Nov 19, 2019 10:59 AM
What Are These?

Yes. And some of them on the waterfront are still in pairs, such that you know you are on a specific line on a chart when you have them visually aligned.