Sleeping Bag Drive for Those Experiencing Homelessness

Source: Santa Barbara County

More than 1,800 people are experiencing homelessness in Santa Barbara County. To help these individuals and families stay warm this winter, the Santa Barbara County Public Defender’s Office is accepting donations of sleeping bags, hats, gloves, jackets, clothing, socks, shoes, hygiene products, thermal underwear, scarves and backpacks.

New or lightly used donations are being accepted until Dec. 11 during regular business hours at the Public Defender’s offices in

• Santa Barbara: 1100 Anacapa Street

• Santa Maria: 312-P East Cook Street, Building

Financial donations will also be accepted for the purchase of new sleeping bags and undergarments that are tax deductible through the Public Defender’s partnerships with checks made out to Family Service Agency of Santa Barbara County or Americorps. Donations can also be made online at www.fsacares.org, where donors should specify that it’s for the sleeping bag drive.

In order to receive donated goods, those experiencing homelessness will need to attend the distribution event on Friday, December 13 from noon to 2 p.m. or until supplies last at each office of the Public Defender.

For more information, contact the County Public Defender’s office. In Santa Barbara, call (805) 568-3470; in Santa Maria, call (805) 346-7500.

a-1575659455 Nov 17, 2019 08:52 AM
Sleeping Bag Drive for Those Experiencing Homelessness

COMMENT 1 I'm doing plenty. I don't give them money, if anything food. If I have the chance to speak to them I try to encourage them to get help I don't have financial means to force through a law that requires involuntary commitment but would if I could - what are YOU doing except attacking people who provide constructive criticism?

a-1575659455 Nov 17, 2019 08:35 AM
Sleeping Bag Drive for Those Experiencing Homelessness

When someone says they defend the "worst of the worst" it doesn't mean everyone they defend is the "worst" so chill out. I can tell you stories of people the PD defended - people you would want in jail and out of society and thanks to them, they are not. I'm talking about wife beaters, child molesters, and the like. Sure everyone deserves a defense - I guess - but some people don't as far as I'm concerned. And I've seen them defend those types who you would want put through a wood chipper. So don't be so emotional. It's a fact that this enables the problem and makes it more comfortable for them so they don't seek the help they need to get off the street.

comment1 Nov 17, 2019 08:31 AM
Sleeping Bag Drive for Those Experiencing Homelessness

Thank you, Roger, for your common sense answer. My son was defended by the public defender, and I will tell you that my son is not "the worst of the worst", but has gone on to do great things in his life. In fact my son did go live with the homeless for a project when he was in college. That experience gave him great insight in how to help.

Roger Nov 17, 2019 08:19 AM
Sleeping Bag Drive for Those Experiencing Homelessness

I was defended by the public defender in 1980 the public defender defends poor people the worst of the worst you say you must not have a heart that would be the worst thing to me. Not all homeless people are criminals most of them are just poor really it's not their choice to live outside especially in the Winter they just cannot afford a place anywhere not just here. I'm glad someone is doing this in a bigger way...That is a great idea COASTWATCH you should all camp on East Beach take a month or two out of your lives and go camping experience homelessness for yourselves get all that so call free stuff your always talking about don't cheat though don't take much money with you this way you can experience how wonderful it is to be truly homeless...

yacht rocked Nov 17, 2019 07:24 AM
Sleeping Bag Drive for Those Experiencing Homelessness

Seems ironic that the public defender's office encourages and enables homeless folk to camp around SB, resulting in a pipeline of misbehaving homeless clients to be defended, and your contribution is tax deductible.

CoastWatch Nov 17, 2019 07:22 AM
Sleeping Bag Drive for Those Experiencing Homelessness

This just condones public outdoor sleeping otherwise known back in the day as vagrancy. If my family and I decided to set up a tent Friday after work and set up a tent and sleeping bags for the weekend, we would be fined and prosecuted to what ever the extent of the law is... and that is a fact. If some vagrant(s) do the same, everyone looks the other way...F##K that. I am DONE with the double standard BS regarding vargrant issues in this County / State.

Pages