Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts title=

Source: City of Santa Barbara

The Police Department recently conducted a crosswalk enforcement effort to educate drivers and pedestrians on traffic laws meant to keep them safe on the road. The end goal, a City policy called Vision Zero, is to eliminate all traffic-related serious and fatal injuries on City streets by 2030.

Longing2bhome Oct 23, 2019 08:46 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

Did anyone notice in the picture the driver is on his cell phone. Did the police officer see That? Distracted driver.

Lucky 777 Oct 23, 2019 06:43 PM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

That is a staged photograph and yes I'm quite sure they put the phone in the driver's hand to indicate a distracted driver.

surfergirl69 Oct 23, 2019 04:45 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

The pedestrian/vehicle laws are not clear in the DMV handbook, or on any website I can find. Crosswalk or not. It makes sense for a vehicle to yield, of course, but what if a vehicle can safely proceed, ( like in a right hand turn) without impeding the pedestrian progress and keeping a safe distance ?

Lucky 777 Oct 23, 2019 06:52 PM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

I always wait until the pedestrian has completely reached the other side of the street. The DMV website says clearly: "Stop and proceed when all pedestrians have crossed the street." And yes people honk at me, and maybe I'm a dumbass exercising an abundance of caution, but I'm in a metal car and they are just made of meat.

a-1574295899 Oct 23, 2019 10:06 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

Surfergirl: Motorists may proceed when the pedestrian is no longer threatened, not just when the pedestrian has reached the opposite side of the street. This is confusing and subjective and almost universally misrepresented by these sting publicity campaigns.

a-1574295899 Oct 22, 2019 03:15 PM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

Yesterday I was coming out of the driveway from the Foodland market, San Andres and Micheltorena. A nice lady in her vehicle on Micheltorena was waving me ahead, allowing me to come out onto San Andres. As I pulled forward, I nearly "cleaned up" a middle-aged Hispanic dude who was riding his bike on the sidewalk. If I didn't have such finely honed reaction skills, eye to foot on brake connection, that guy would have got a good slam from my vintage vehicle's metal bumper. He had the audacity to glare at me. SBPD, please go after the vehicle operators (cars, SUVS, trucks and bicyclists) who ignore pedestrians at crosswalks and PLEASE also get those idiot bicyclists off the sidewalks.

PitMix Oct 23, 2019 08:16 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

I guess if you had hit him, you would not be cited as he was operating a vehicle on a sidewalk. Let him glare all he wants. I almost hit a biker on a sidewalk at night because he was wearing dark clothing and didn't have any lights. Really hard to see someone in that situation.

a-1574295899 Oct 22, 2019 03:07 PM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

A few days ago I watched an SBPD officer northbound in his SUV continue to sit at the red light at the intersection of State and Gutierrez, as a driver coming off Gutierrez turned left and completely cut off a pedestrian. It was amazing. The pedestrian fully had the right of way and the scoflaw driver showed no hesitation at cutting in front of the pedestrian. Why didn't the officer bust the driver?

Ahchooo Oct 22, 2019 02:42 PM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

I applaud this effort to educate and enforce pedestrian safety. I hope it helps. Maybe they could do a presentation at the local middle schools and high schools.

d8vanilla Oct 22, 2019 11:01 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

Did they go after that bicyclist that rode right through the intersection, even after they saw the car stop......

a-1574295899 Oct 22, 2019 11:47 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

11:43 - it has ZERO to do with who causes the biggest injuries, it has to do with obeying the law. Laws aren't excused just because the risk of injury/death isn't as great as it could be with something else, that's absurd. Just follow the LAW and everyone will be happy. No more excuses.

a-1574295899 Oct 22, 2019 11:43 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

Can't believe this has to be explained. If a cyclist hits a pedestrian they are both going down with similar injuries so it's not in the interest of either to ignore the other. Not so if a vehicle hits a pedestrian. So who's the bigger threat? the cyclist or the driver?

a-1574295899 Oct 22, 2019 11:36 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

No, it is legal to drive/bike over a crosswalk as long as the pedestrian has passed in front of you already - WITHIN REASON and at the police's discretion (e.g. You can't fly by 1ft behind the pedestrian. There must be a reasonable amount of space established). In this case, there was no way the pedestrian was going to make it back to where the bicycle crossed, even if he turned and sprinted. Now, this is NOT true in the other direction. If you cross the pedestrian's path of travel, even if they are 50ft away from you on a large street crossing (but still heading toward you), that is expressly illegal at all times. Never do that.

d8vanilla Oct 22, 2019 10:57 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

Few years back, when they were doing this on Milpas, a driver was distracted by seeing a few Police on the side streets, and ended up getting a ticket for not stopping for the pedestrian!!!! Distracted by the Police !!!

oceandrew Oct 22, 2019 11:38 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

D8... musta been an Edhatter - more concerned what the police were doing than what they were doing. If you can't pay attention to driving while driving you shouldn't be driving.

a-1574295899 Oct 22, 2019 11:31 AM
Crosswalk Enforcement Education Efforts

That is most definitely NOT an excuse in any way. I'm glad they were ticketed. Merely seeing a few police vehicles, no lights or sirens, is not some unavoidable distraction that makes ignoring your surroundings not yielding to a pedestrian "OK". What if that pedestrian had already started crossing? You think the existence of police in the area should excuse that person from vehicular manslaughter? Give me a break. If you agree with that, you shouldn't be driving.