Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

By edhat staff

A former Uber driver from Santa Maria was sentenced to jail after sexually assaulting an intoxicated passenger.

Shadi Aziz Abdul, 37, was sentenced to one year in county jail on Thursday after pleading guilty.

A woman reported to police in April that an Uber driver picked her up and drove her to a location in Santa Maria. Before reaching the destination, the driver took the passenger to another location and raped her in his vehicle. Abdul was identified as the driver and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents arrested him at the United States-Mexico border in San Diego.

He was sentenced to one year in jail, five years of felony probation and ordered to register as a sex offender for life.

a-1573503871 Oct 15, 2019 10:29 AM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

It's clear that, as much as this sounds as a miscarriage of justice, we don't have all the facts. Judges don't hand out light sentences for rape charges for no good reason. I'm sure there's more to this and since none of us was in the courtroom for the trial, we don't know what it was.

a-1573503871 Oct 15, 2019 11:45 AM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

11:24 - well for one thing, what was the official conviction? If it was "sexual assault," then it could be a range of actions that they found he was actually found guilty of, not necessarily rape. Sexual assault can be a non-consensual kiss or touch. I don't know, so I'm not speculating, but just trying to think of reasons for such a relatively light sentence.

a-1573503871 Oct 15, 2019 11:24 AM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

@10:29am: There is absolutely no amount of extraneous circumstances that could make this light sentence acceptable. Judges are just people and they do make mistakes. This is a hugely concerning mistake. What judge made this decision? I think they should be removed.

a-1573503871 Oct 15, 2019 09:14 AM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

This sounds pretty bad. "Pearlman added that his client — who has been in jail since his arrest on May 23 — will only serve half his sentence in County Jail under PC4019, which stipulates that an inmate will serve four days of confinement for every two days spent in actual custody if the person is sentenced to a county jail......That means, according to Pearlman, that Abdul Aziz will be released from custody on the day of his sentencing Nov. 14." --------------- https://santamariatimes.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/former-santa-maria-uber-driver-sentenced-to-year-in-county/article_bea1fb4c-84f9-53b9-a985-fd2ed8c84c7d.html#1-------------------- I have to wonder what the facts are here. Something is not right.

PitLocal Oct 15, 2019 09:02 AM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

Several months ago while I was driving nortbound 101 towards Goleta in the middle lane, an Uber driver who was driving right in my blind spot wouldn't let me change lanes. He totally flipped out and started road raging on me on the freeway. He followed me for about 3 miles as I drove onto Ward Memorial, motioning me over to the side of the road, apparently he wanted to fight. I headed for the UCSB police station. As I was almost there, he pulled along side of me and started screaming. I got a good look at him. I think it was this same guy.

Longing2bhome Oct 15, 2019 09:43 AM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

Good thinking to drive to the police station. In 1987 I was driving to Santa Barbara from Granada Hills to see my boyfriend who became my husband. A weirdo kept pace with me around Rincon and then followed me all the way to Ward Dr., Rancho Goleta. I was so scared. I was new to the area and did not know where a police station was to go to. Thank God I made it to safety. The nut was not familiar with Rancho Goleta and I was. I sped in there turning quickly around corners.

a-1573503871 Oct 15, 2019 02:01 PM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

RINCONER - he wasn't charged with kidnapping and again, we don't know all the facts yet. It sucks to say that, but there may be something else that happened that resulted in a lesser sentence. We just don't know and the only ones who do know, were in that courtroom.

Luvaduck Oct 15, 2019 08:12 AM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

I fully agree. He needs to be returned to the society that taught him raping women was his perogative if they were not accompanied by a male relative. We deny entry to some people who legitimately seek asylum from death squads in their home country and are desperate to get away by trying to immigrate here or elsewhere. Surely there's some way to send this predator back to wherever he came from--he's dangerous (not just to women) and not going to change.

a-1573503871 Oct 14, 2019 08:00 PM
Local Uber Driver Sentenced for Assaulting Passenger

‘“Abdul was identified as the driver and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents arrested him at the United States-Mexico border in San Diego.”.... Really?!??? Only sentenced to one year, and still, he’s trying to avoid that little responsibility by going AWOL over the Mexican border. It’s no wonder America has become the laughing stock.