Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

Vehicle vs Bicyclist with a reported injury accident.

rwelsh Oct 13, 2019 12:13 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

A month or so ago there was an article that SB got a super high rating as being one of the best bike friendly towns. I had to laugh... what a load of rubbish. I love bicycling, but SB would not be on my list as a safe place to do it. Bad bike accidents are in the news almost weekly. I am sure it was a PR contrived rating system that was trying to promote bikes in SB instead of cars, and/or trying to lure all the millennial tech people to our town. Plus there are a few new bike companies around with different types of urban bikes. Sorry... I love my bike but you aren't taking away the freedom, ease and safety of having my car. Well, maybe you are with all the parking places being removed by new high density housing projects with little to no parking.

EastBeach Oct 13, 2019 03:39 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

Bad bicycle accidents in the news WEEKLY? I call BS - links please. However, there have been lots of bad auto accidents in the last month (just check Edhat, Noozhawk, and KEYT). Strange that Edhat readers rarely harp on those bad drivers like they do cyclists even though the bad drivers cause way more damage and loss of life.

a-1573937883 Oct 13, 2019 12:36 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

As long as you are selective when choosing your route, SB can be very safe on a bike. For example, travel down Castillo where there is a dedicated bike lane, not De La Vina. Choose Cota instead of Haley or Gutierrez.

a-1573937883 Oct 13, 2019 04:27 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

When people ask me what Santa Barbara was like back in the day, I sometimes reply, "Well. I used to ride my bike up APS with my two dogs running behind me." The other day a friend came over and said, "You won't believe this. I just saw a guy riding his bike up APS." Yes. Now you're a nutcase with a death wish if you try to ride on certain streets. The excessive amount of motorized vehicles coupled with the arrogance of distracted driving has made many streets completely unsafe for bike riding. Too bad.

EastBeach Oct 13, 2019 03:32 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

I live off APS and have never had a problem riding/driving on APS. There is no reason it can't be safe if everyone obeys the law and shares the road per the DMV rules.

d8vanilla Oct 12, 2019 09:34 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

bicyclists need to be more aware of the vehicles on the streets. Definitely need to wear reflective clothing, lights etc. follow the rules of the road, and be aware that if they get hit by a car, it's gonna be really really bad for them.

Gergoyle Oct 14, 2019 08:01 AM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

Does anyone acknowledge the fact that this may be the fault of the driver? This story gives no information other than a collision between a car and bike. Why is everyone quick to assume it was the bike rider's fault? There are tons of terrible drivers out there every single day.

EastBeach Oct 13, 2019 03:46 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

@BIRD - and why didn't you say "It just might create an awareness in DRIVERS that careless driving may have serious, lasting consequences." So far nobody has posted what the cause of the accident was.

Bird Oct 13, 2019 07:41 AM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

Agree, D8V! It would be helpful as warnings to have follow-up stories about what happened, what were the injuries? It just might create an awareness in bicyclists that careless riding may have serious, lasting consequences.

a-1573937883 Oct 12, 2019 08:49 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

4MONTECITO. Less street lights and more night sky. Bicyclists need to carry their own lights, front and back w/ reflective clothing (at night) and reflectors on the wheels, too.

a-1573937883 Oct 13, 2019 04:29 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

Especially now that the City of Santa Barbara has changed out so many street lights from yellow to tennis court bright white.

horsegirl Oct 13, 2019 12:00 AM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

Agreed. Hate that I see fewer and fewer stars in town as the years go on

4montecito Oct 12, 2019 08:03 PM
Bicyclist Struck by a Vehicle

Live near there. Carpinteria street needs more lights and stop signs, I hold my breath daily as I hear cars screeching down the street. Looked like someone was taken away on a stretcher but I'm not 100% certain. Thanks for the update Rodger.