Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

Mountain lion in the slow lane of Highway 101 Southbound at Carrillo.

a-1571477475 Oct 11, 2019 01:59 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

Edhat editors- perhaps you can delete this story since KEYT confirmed it was a burlap sack? Thx

a-1571477475 Oct 11, 2019 01:54 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

This story reminds me of the sea lion someone dumped on the 101 freeway a couple years back...center divider just north of La Cumbre. Sickening event and as far as I know, no one was arrested for that crime.

catwrangler Oct 11, 2019 08:12 AM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

If that was a raccoon in the center divider near the fast lane - that was one BIG ASS RACCOON with a long tail.

a-1571477475 Oct 11, 2019 08:47 AM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

CATWRANGLER - I saw a HUGE raccoon along the center divider out near Goleta on 101S yesterday. I thought it was a bulldog or something at first, until I passed it and saw the stripes. There are some big ol' bandits out there. I've seen some in my yard that come up to my knee (I'm 6'2")/

EastBeach Oct 10, 2019 09:12 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

It was a burlap sack ... https://www.keyt.com/news/santa-barbara-s-county/false-mountain-lion-sighting-on-highway-101-in-santa-barbara/1131046328

Roger Oct 11, 2019 05:56 AM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

Rest in Peace Burlap Sack you had a long life until you tried to cross the lanes of the 101.

a-1571477475 Oct 10, 2019 02:39 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

Downtown SB is alive these days with wildlife: squirrels, chipmunks, bobcats, mountain lions, foxes, rabbits, skunks possums....but strangely we have have not seen any raccoons for well over a year.

a-1571477475 Oct 10, 2019 06:43 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

A-1570757874 2 OCT 10, 2019 02:39 PM. ------------I agree that the Raccoons have been, for the most part, missing in action around here. It will sound a bit crazy, but I wonder if the closing off of the storm drains with netting (metal, plastic) has severely affected Raccoon populations and activities. The 'coons used to use the storm drains and outlets as their personal highways. Just a thought. And, even though I haven't seen (or heard) a Raccoon in my yard (Lower Riviera) in a long LONG time, I know one or more visited my yard only last month. As a result, my 75 Gambusia (Mosquito fish) died. The Raccoons roiled up the silt in the pond and the fish that weren't caught and eaten all suffocated. Heartbreaking.

catwrangler Oct 10, 2019 02:02 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

I saw it and I although I saw the long tail - I was in total disbelief that it was a mountain lion. Absolutely incredible that it was all the way downtown like that. It was in the fast lane going south on 101 and looked to have been dead since before sunrise by rigor mortis. Very sad.

420722 Oct 10, 2019 07:23 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

I’m wondering how you saw a dead mountain lion on the freeway when the CHP has confirmed that it was just a piece of burlap? Maybe get those peepers checked!

tlachiquero Oct 10, 2019 01:54 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

In the recent article about the mountain lion at UCSB I wondered how it crossed 101. The article wasn't clear whether it was the 4th siting of the same cat or what but now I wonder what's driving them into the city. Are they seeking new territory or is their food source not as available as it once was? And why would their food (deer?) be more scarce? It's always tough on wildlife when they get tangled up with humans.

ypyetr Oct 11, 2019 06:27 AM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

I have seen a mountain lion on La Patera twice. I would suspect they are following the creek beds to cross the 101.

SBsurferlife Oct 10, 2019 12:50 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

CHP removed it promptly without their normal followup posts. Does this mean nothing was there?

Roger Oct 10, 2019 12:49 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

I hate these calls poor animals are drawn into the traffic they have no idea what awaits them, Rest in Peace..

a-1571477475 Oct 10, 2019 06:50 PM
Dead Mountain Lion on Highway 101

Roger. Los Angeles is going to build a huge wildlife bridge which spans 10 lanes of Freeway. This type of care for animals who range short or long distances has been shamefully neglected here in the USA. Other countries have been providing wildlife corridors/ building safe crossings for wildlife for years. ****Here's a link to an article titled "10 Important Wildlife Corridors"**** https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/stories/10-important-wildlife-corridors