Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on Mission Street

Reads 2008

Vehicle vs Pedestrian at Mission and Modoc Streets.

a-1571479582 Oct 10, 2019 04:30 PM
Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on Mission Street

Kids at that age feel as though they have very little control over their lives. One thing they can do is act like little pissants as they cross the street, walking slowly as possible. Take that, you anonymous adults. The kids get off on it, they love it. I just sit there in my vehicle and think about how these same kids soon will be driving their own vehicles and then be the ones watching adolescents act like entitled asshats. Isn't life fun?

Flicka Oct 10, 2019 03:21 PM
Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on Mission Street

In Carpinteria they have added a crossing guard for the Middle School students. That includes 7th & 8th grades (Jr. High) so maybe La Cumbre could rethink their attitude for the safety of their students.

d8vanilla Oct 10, 2019 09:45 AM
Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on Mission Street

Not just the cars, but the kids need to pay attention also..... I've seen kids step-off the curb, and don't even look around first. The "rule of thumb" is....., before stepping off the curb, make eye-contact with the driver. That intersection can be very very dangerous, and confusing, when it gets busy .

Ahchooo Oct 10, 2019 11:29 AM
Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on Mission Street

I can’t tell if it is pubescent arrogance that makes these kids saunter in front of moving vehicles, or if they truly don’t understand that just because they have the right of way doesn’t mean they ought to always take it. This is actually a problem with pedestrians in general ( and I walk a lot—I am pro-pedestrian). Many seem to think that they don’t have to watch out for their own safety. They just walk right out, sometimes without even looking up. Youngsters should be taught to stop, look, listen—always.

Bird Oct 10, 2019 11:05 AM
Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on Mission Street

I am not that familiar with that intersection, but California test results were just released today, said the LAT. I checked various area schools (oh, Adelante!¡) and La Cumbre Jr High scores are below not only the state averages but those of the SB Unified School District in both English Language Arts and Math. It sounds as though they DO need a crossing guard to help them read and multiply!

REX OF SB Oct 10, 2019 10:33 AM
Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on Mission Street

Right you are, D8VANILLA! It's my misfortune to often be at the Modoc-Portesuello intersection in front of La Cumbre JHS right as classes are being let out for the day. I'm not sure whether it's deliberate or just because there are some very stupid kids out there, but they seldom look in either direction as they enter a crosswalk, and then they saunter across as if they have all the time in the world—which I guess they actually do. Traffic would move far more efficiently if the students would look up and realize that the cars lined up waiting for them are creating a big traffic problem. Several years ago I spoke with the La Cumbre principal about hiring a crossing guard to make sure that the kids cross the street in a safe (and timely) manner. I was told that students of junior high age don't need a crossing guard. Maybe not, but I'm sure the motorists would like to see one there.

a-1571479582 Oct 10, 2019 09:42 AM
Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle on Mission Street

At that busy 3-way stop? I drive that way often. Why aren’t cops enforcing the 25mph zone at La Cumbre Jr High? Last week I watched a guy driving a work truck slide through the stop (right turn) in front of Roosevelt Elementary. My tenant told me he saw a woman in a Volvo wagon completely run the stop, same location. Why aren’t these bozo arrogant idiot drivers being ticketed?