Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

Two children were hit by a car at Santa Barbara Shores and Anchor Drive in Goleta.

a-1571371991 Sep 16, 2019 01:35 PM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

I don't care how old they were. I hate seeing any bike riders without helmets! A friend who had worked at the old Rehab Institute (now Cottage Rehab), once told me that based on everything he'd seen while working with head injury patients, he'd have everybody walking around wearing helmets.

a-1571371991 Sep 17, 2019 08:25 PM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

At 8:07 any other info? Are they going to be OK? What happened? I know a lot of families in that area so I'm hoping it's all good.

a-1571371991 Sep 16, 2019 01:49 PM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

Ok ok we get it, helmets are critically important, but how about we hold off on passing any judgement on the kids or parents for not wearing helmets until we know, if in fact, they weren't wearing helmets and any other important factors involved. Chill folks!

a-1571371991 Sep 16, 2019 11:21 AM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

Were they "juveniles" or "children?" Juvenile is defined as young teenager, adolescent.

a-1571371991 Sep 16, 2019 10:03 AM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

Any idea on their ages? I can't imagine any parents of little one's would allow the kids to ride without a helmet these days. Unfortunately, there comes an age where it becomes "uncool". I really hate seeing all the older kids and young "adults" at the skate park without a helmet. There really needs to be serious effort to change that culture. We need the older kids in the skate culture to step up and be better role models.

a-1571371991 Sep 16, 2019 12:35 PM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

11:36 - yes, that's true, but nevertheless, a driver hitting 2 kids on bikes at the same time sound a lot more like driver error. Helmets are great and my kids are required to always wear them, but helmets won't stop distracted drivers from hitting them.

a-1571371991 Sep 16, 2019 11:36 AM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

Sorry, but there is not enough information to direct my frustration at a driver without knowing exactly what happened. My comment is only related to the information provided (which indicate no helmets). If you read my comment you would see exactly what else can be done. It's a culture change. I want older kids and young adults to wear helmets. Especially, those in the skate culture. Helmets should be required in all skate parks regardless of age and the rules should be enforced. Kids stop wearing helmets in their early teens because it's considered "uncool" by the older kids and even by some "adults" that should know better. The older kids, skaters in youtube videos, and even some pros don't wear helmets. This is a problem that has a solution.

a-1571371991 Sep 16, 2019 10:08 AM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

at 10:03 - maybe re-direct your frustration on drivers who hit kids on bikes? Unless they bolted out in front of a car (which is possible), a motorist is usually at fault for hitting a pedestrian or cyclist. Also, helmets are already required for all minors, so not sure what else we can do about that.

Bodyboarder73 Sep 16, 2019 07:59 AM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

I don’t know if speed was a factor, but if it was this is a perfect reminder that city streets are not a race track. Even the posted speed limit can be to fast for some conditions. I hope they will be ok.

a-1571371991 Sep 15, 2019 07:53 PM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

Oh no! My prayers go out to them and their families. Especially the Moms who will no doubt nurse them back to good health. Sun is in your eyes at that time of night.

a-1571371991 Sep 15, 2019 07:19 PM
Two Juveniles Struck by Vehicle

Both children were conscious, but pretty badly hurt. Bleeding from the head. No helmets.