By an edhat reader

I’ve been noticing a lot of junk left on the curb, including large furniture, throughout downtown Santa Barbara. What can be done about this? Is this legal in SB, or illegal and not being enforced?

giftedinSB Aug 26, 2019 02:26 PM
Illegal Dumping?

OP here - unfortunately, I never see anyone doing the dumping. I just see the junk appear in the morning, so my guess is that people are doing it late at night when they're less likely to be noticed. The other thing is that while some discarded items might be useful to others, I have seen a lot of furniture (couches, chairs, desks, etc.) that is totally worn and unusable. There was a couch outside SBHS for weeks before it was picked up. But good to know that there are numbers we can call!

Flicka Aug 25, 2019 02:38 PM
Illegal Dumping?

I am a "Santa Barbara resident of old" and thinking we would not have "stooped" to picking up reusable furniture sounds like maybe we were snobs. I can't think of any reason we residents from "the old days" would have been any different from ones today. A bargain is a bargain and free is the ultimate bargain.

a-1568799908 Aug 25, 2019 02:13 PM
Illegal Dumping?

I've lived DT for awhile now and have definitely noticed an increase in junk and trash by the side of the road. I can't even drive down the street anymore without seeing junky furniture, mattresses, you name it. Looks like Mexico or some 3rd world country frankly now. Says alot about the type of people who are now living here. They don't seem to care about how their neighborhoods look. Family comes from out of town and they think this is the trashy area of town and really it's not just b/c it's not cheap to live here, but that is what it looks like. Like a ghetto.

Roger Aug 26, 2019 07:29 PM
Illegal Dumping?

If you are speaking to me I am on no board and as a human being am entitled to my opinion also.

NamasteYogi Aug 26, 2019 05:24 PM
Illegal Dumping?

If you’re such an active member of the board here you should really allow people to have their opinion with little jabs of negativity

a-1568799908 Aug 25, 2019 10:48 PM
Illegal Dumping?

It's not just the elementary school kids or Jr. High or High School kids that litter. Go to SBCC and check out the lawn near the Cafeteria after lunch. There are plenty of idiots who have lunch on the lawn and then just get up and walk away, leaving their litter for someone else to clean up. It's appalling.

a-1568799908 Aug 25, 2019 08:56 PM
Illegal Dumping?

I go often to the Nopalitos post office where I have a PO box. Lots of trash on Nopalitos and at the nearby freeway underpass, a large sofa the other day along with I don't know what else. Always there's litter once Franklin and Adelante schools begin, single use containers of various sorts just tossed. The schools seem to have walk-abouts; too bad they don't encourage the students to not litter, maybe have contests to see how many each could pick up.

Roger Aug 25, 2019 02:52 PM
Illegal Dumping?

So according to you Mexico is a 3rd world country that looks like a getto...It says alot about the type of people living here Will there are alot of us types of people living here maybe you ought to find a place where your type of people live.

Icre84U Aug 25, 2019 11:43 AM
Illegal Dumping?

Times have changed. I don't believe Santa Barbara residents of old would stoop to picking up free used furniture off the side of the road. Is the furniture truly re-usable? Or is it truly trash? (I saw a furniture delivery truck dump pretty soiled two mattresses into a ravine off of 150, recorded license plate and called CHP and CalTrans and got nowhere. They sat there for over 2 years before they were picked up.) We've all been there, trying to get rid of unwanted large items. As others have said, if you live in Marborg service area call them! Also, I have used "Habitat for Humanity" - if the condition is good they will send a truck out to pick it up for you.

a-1568799908 Aug 25, 2019 12:20 PM
Illegal Dumping?

You’d be surprised at some of the nice, nice items I’ve “rescued” at the curb and then sold on Classified Attic (remember that?) and The Independent free ad (forget name) and now on Craigslist. Just recently my tenant lugged home an item and we sold it within a day for $35. We put out FREE stuff at the curb and it all vanishes like magic. Santa Barbara has always had people who enjoy harvesting goods at the curb. What I think is a real crying shame is how much quality, reusable junk ends up in the landfill.

Flicka Aug 25, 2019 11:15 AM
Illegal Dumping?

I think it's a great tradition to have "free" usable items left out at the street. Re-homing is better than sending it to the landfill. Other piles may be left for MarBorg to pick up. If your free pickups have already been used it can still be picked up for a fee.

a-1568799908 Aug 25, 2019 09:42 AM
Illegal Dumping?

You might ask yourself why it bothers you so much. Personally, I don’t mind it if the stuff has been placed there for community re-use or Marbourg pick-up as long as it doesn’t sit out for more than a week. I haven’t seen many lasting that long within the City. I used to live in a rural part of town where people did come to litter all the time. I once found a pig carcass among other large items. People would come to drink beer in their car and toss cans out the window. Now THAT drove me crazy!

a-1568799908 Aug 25, 2019 10:04 AM
Illegal Dumping?

Because it looks trashy. Do you want your home to look trashy? I've lived in many places, mostly back east, and ironically SB, the most expensive place I've lived, the "American Riviera" is the dirtiest place I've lived too. Never saw people putting out mattresses and junk, until I moved here. Not to mention the shopping carts - three outside our office just this week.

a-1568799908 Aug 24, 2019 09:38 PM
Illegal Dumping?

Nothing new. Been happening forever. Some of it is for pickup. Others are just rude selfish people leaving their crap out. Others are setting out for free for othersr who may want/need it to pick it up. But it does make the town look super trashy.

Red Creek Aug 25, 2019 10:59 AM
Illegal Dumping?

Have lived in this area a long time and do not remember trash in, on or around the streets to the degree we are seeing it now. There has been a change in residents' (or visitors) behavior regarding trash and pollution.

LocalMatt Aug 24, 2019 09:03 PM
Illegal Dumping?

I'm not a mind reader, but I'll say trombone!

LocalMatt Aug 24, 2019 05:04 PM
Illegal Dumping?

I love the questions on edhat. It makes me feel like I'm really informed about they city and what is going on around me. To each his or her own, but there is not a single question I could possibly think of that I couldn't figure out on my own and with less effort

a-1568799908 Aug 24, 2019 08:55 PM
Illegal Dumping?

LOCAL MATT. Okay. Which instrument do I play?

humungous Aug 24, 2019 04:35 PM
Illegal Dumping?

I agree Roger! As a frugal and environmentally conscious person, I think it's great that people put their used furniture and household items on the curb for others to use. Garbage is one thing, but if you stick a free sign on stuff that can be re-used, it's gone within a few hours usually.

Roger Aug 24, 2019 05:52 PM
Illegal Dumping?

That's what we do put stuff out front with a free sign most of it goes quick. Sometimes if you leave stuff on the front porch people will steal it and think they got away with something.

Roger Aug 24, 2019 04:21 PM
Illegal Dumping?

People love junk you don't know if people don't want it post "Free Junk" alot of artists out there acouple might show up make something nice out of the Junk.

a-1568799908 Aug 24, 2019 03:31 PM
Illegal Dumping?

I think maybe the word got out that Marborg will come pick up mattresses, old TVs, old sofas, if you just ditch them at the curb. As ALWAYS RUNNING commented: call Marborg 805-963-1852 if you didn't see who did the dumping. In case you did see a sneaky sofa/TV/desk/whatever junk leave-it-for-someone else-to-clean-up at the curb perp job, be ready to describe the bum and turn him/her in. Take a photo, if you can: "If you witness a dumping incident, contact our Code Enforcement Office at 564-5686."

a-1568799908 Aug 24, 2019 03:23 PM
Illegal Dumping?

It seems like lately the Westside has seen an increase in dumping. Esp. on Chino St. It is not even the 1st of the month when most people move.

mattyboy Aug 24, 2019 03:02 PM
Illegal Dumping?

Marborg customers get 1? 2? free curbside junk pick-ups per year, so maybe it's that? Seems like landlords also do it when evicting people ahead of getting it picked up.

a-1568799908 Aug 24, 2019 03:17 PM
Illegal Dumping?

Two free pickups per year. NO construction detritus. Many restrictions on what you can leave to be picked up. Great service, though.

LocalMatt Aug 24, 2019 03:00 PM
Illegal Dumping?

If they call marborg there is free pickup for things. Not necessarily illegal

Always_Running Aug 24, 2019 02:46 PM
Illegal Dumping?

Yes it is illegal. Happens a lot during the last weekend of the month. I have seen city posted signs on De La Vina street with a notice and code/policy number. The law doesn’t stop my neighbors on Anapamu. Take pictures and submit a proposal for a sign. After a few weeks the right trash man will call a supervisor with a flatbed truck to haul away what is leftover. Marborg 805-963-1852

Roger Aug 24, 2019 02:21 PM
Illegal Dumping?

Post a Craiglist "Free" Add maybe someone will pick up the junk and take it away.

a-1568799908 Aug 24, 2019 03:35 PM
Illegal Dumping?

Roger. Craigslist is a great idea. People love free at the curb stuff. Not a good idea to put stuff out though that is trashed and/or junk no-one really wants.