Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

Suspicious Circumstances in front of Whole Foods in the 3700 block of State Street. An electrical bicycle explosion, the bicycle is on fire.

ZeroHawk Jul 18, 2019 10:38 AM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

motorized bicycles....motorized skate boards...are we really that lazy now? this defeats the purpose of exercise and takes a lot of the fun out of it too and personal challenge and gain. I've watched several 20 somethings zip down the middle of the road, no helmet and flying past bicycles. i've watched 2 of them crash and get hurt. I've also watched them cause accidents and chaos by zipping down sidewalks on State and at the beach on the bike path.

a-1566363011 Jul 18, 2019 08:12 AM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

That's what happens when you try to cheat and buy an electric bicycle. Just get a moped or a regular bike. Then you wouldn't have to worry about them exploding in your house possibly .

sbloc93111 Jul 18, 2019 06:46 AM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

This is why these Mopeds errr I mean E Bikes don't belong on our trails in the hills. Spontaneous combustible batteries in our hills.....no thank you!!!

PitMix Jul 18, 2019 03:27 PM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

Weight is a factor, but the average person pedaling in my neighborhood seems to go slower than the average e-biker. Of course the Lycra crowd can really move on their road bikes. Probably will take a horrific accident on the Cabrillo Beachway to get the City to do something about this. Maybe ban e-bikes from paths shared with pedestrians and such.

a-1566363011 Jul 18, 2019 01:18 PM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

Re: The Speed: What is of concern is the amount of weight coming at you at 20 mph. As a pedestrian, I would say there's a considerable difference between being hit by a rider on 18-lb road bike and a rider on a 50-lb E-bike. And I have seen far too many of these E-bike riders on the bike paths and on our beaches. AND on the sidewalks. Inconsiderate jerks.

a-1566363011 Jul 18, 2019 09:57 AM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

I have not noticed a general increase of speed. They can go a max of 20 mph and that can seem quite fast, especially on sidewalks and the beachway; regular street bikes can easily do that!

PitMix Jul 18, 2019 08:20 AM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

Good point, never thought about the fire danger. What I have noticed is that average speeds of e-bikes seem to be higher, so that any injuries are likely to be more severe. Is anyone looking at the emergency room data?

REX OF SB Jul 17, 2019 06:47 PM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

Whole foods…expensive electric bicycle…is there any truth to the report that the rider put out the flames with the bottle of Perrier they were carrying?

Roger Jul 17, 2019 06:56 PM
Electric Bicycle Explodes at Whole Foods

I'm not sure I heard there was a rider possibly on the bike, unknown type explosion, Electric bike on fire in the street that is why I code red it...It was down played quickly after.