Monarchs in Need

By an Edhat reader

I found a group of Monarch caterpillars in a pretty public place and want to save them, but my milkweed plants are still too tiny.

Anyone available to foster some already pretty big Monarchs or know where I can take them?

OICU812 Jun 21, 2019 06:09 AM
Monarchs in Need

Thanks everyone; I found some mature milkweed and ordered mesh cages that arrived yesterday. Three went to Chrysalis on top of a plastic shoe box before I got the cages and ten went to Chrysalis last night. All are doing well, and I will try to post a photo of the first butterfly when the next stage occurs.

heathlev Jun 21, 2019 11:54 AM
Monarchs in Need

Good going! Thanks for caring. I plant several varieties in the ground and in pots all over my yard. The all yellow variety is gorgeous, as are the caterpillars and butterflies.

a-1563622324 Jun 21, 2019 12:44 AM
Monarchs in Need

Years ago (maybe a decade ago) I had an overabundance of Monarch 'pillars. About 40 'pillars. They ran out of leaves to eat. I took them to a dude out off of Patterson. It was so nice of him to give my little critters a place to crash and to stuff themselves full of milkweed. This year I had ONE caterpillar on four plants. Very sad. OP, I hope you take HEATHLEV and/or TAGDES up on their offers. ASAP.

heathlev Jun 20, 2019 10:24 AM
Monarchs in Need

I have lots of full grown plants and would live to help

SB_TAHOE Jun 20, 2019 08:20 AM
Monarchs in Need

SB Museum of Natural History has a live butterfly exhibit and may be able to help.

tagdes Jun 20, 2019 07:39 AM
Monarchs in Need

I have two huge uneaten plants that could use them. Got one new monarch last month. I'm in San Roque.

a-1563622324 Jun 20, 2019 07:19 AM
Monarchs in Need

You might try calling the nurseries and see if they can fast-order you a couple of plants. The two nurseries off Patterson, and check Ace Hardware.

Factotum Jun 19, 2019 06:16 PM
Monarchs in Need

Contact the Santa Barbara Natural History Museum for their insights.