10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara title=

Photo: JP Sears / Facebook

By an edhat reader

I stumbled upon this video of comedian JP Sears making fun of Santa Barbara. I found it pretty funny how he used satire to point out our town's inconsistencies. I'm curious what other edhat readers think.

It looks like he performed here in May at the Lobero. Wish I would have known, would have gone to see him!

biguglystick Jun 18, 2019 11:48 AM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

Most of it was spot on. Especially the part about there being no middle class. It's sad. The wealthy is what killed our little town.

Ehdat Jun 18, 2019 09:35 AM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

This was to promote his show. It was funny, and could have used some polishing and seemed like it was exactly that; researched. I love him and his humor, and how many people who don't understand satire, and sarcasm have a hard time figuring him out. Read comments on his popular videos and those people stand out like a sore thumb. His show at the Lobero was worth the money for sure! So glad I went to see him.

Phantom Blot Jun 18, 2019 08:24 AM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

Thanks for sharing that! It's fun and important to laugh at ourselves, and also not kid ourselves about the demographic realities or beautifully brutal SB. The truth hurts! Nick Welsh, that Angry Poodle of a dog, predicted these demographics accurately 30 years ago! Everything that he said would happen has and is coming true. A regular Nosetradamus! (pun intended).

a-1563352682 Jun 18, 2019 06:22 AM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

Come on you guys, everything he said was 100% true! Montecito is private, exclusive and gated... Rincon Surfers are mean, that is a long-established fact! Driving in Isla Vista is a nightmare and there really is not much of a middle-class here because it's so expensive to live here, people come here and go to UCSB and do usually move away because it's hard to find a well-paying job here... All of those things are true. And it is beautiful but stinky because our homeless population pees and poops all over the sidewalks downtown. All of it was true! Why are people upset?

Nature Boy Jun 17, 2019 09:40 PM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

Seems like he got most of his “jokes” by not knowing anything about SB and just reading past Edhat “comments” sections and just running with that.

a-1563352682 Jun 17, 2019 10:01 PM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

But ... but ... but... if he got his material from the "all knowing" Edhat commenters he's got to have learned quite a bit about SB. I mean, Edhatters know everything!!

Nature Boy Jun 17, 2019 06:17 PM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

YIKES — His cringe-worthy “joke” that Isla Vista residents are excited for a chance to drive down the street running people over? It appears he doesn’t know much about all-too-recent tragedies in I.V.

LCP112233 Jun 18, 2019 10:51 AM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

0036. I have been hit by a cyclist in IV. He fell and rolled through the intersection. Got up and ran off. I was more concerned if he was ok. But he left a sizable dent in my car.

a-1563352682 Jun 18, 2019 06:20 AM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

What I heard from that joke was that Santa Barbara folks are "proud" of Isla Vista and can't wait to go out there to drive because they know that they will run people over, pure satire! Seriously, have you driven out there anytime recently? There are bike riders and skateboarders who come right in front of your car with no warning! You're more likely to have them hit the side of your car then for you to actually hit them at times and a lot of them are drunk or high. Driving out there is scary! Which is what I heard in his joke. Actually every single thing he said was true and I'm a native, 100% agree and laughed out loud

a-1563352682 Jun 17, 2019 01:19 PM
10 Intriguing Facts About Santa Barbara

I have enjoyed many of his videos (the one on essential oils is great). I believe he is from Canada and was in town for a show and likely threw this together as part of his tour. It doesn't look like he put as much effort into this one as some of his others. Still, I thought it was enjoyable. There is a lot of good material for satire in this town and he tapped into some of it. The edhat comment section alone can provide enough material to sustain a comedian for a career. SB could use a little bit of a reality check.