TSA Pre-Check at the SB Airport?

By an edhat reader

I have just read the following announcement in an email from the City of Santa Barbara: TSA PreCheck Mobile Van is coming to the Airport
June 24-28 and July 1-3.

I assume this is for the purpose of signing up for the program.  My question is: Does our airport in fact have PreCheck available for departing passengers?

Luvaduck Jun 13, 2019 08:44 AM
TSA Pre-Check at the SB Airport?

Flying out of a small airport doesn't mean that your return trip will also be from a small airport so pre-check is worth it for many.

a-1568957513 Jun 13, 2019 06:05 AM
TSA Pre-Check at the SB Airport?

Lol it's so small and cozy there that it is hardly used or needed but yes, it does exist.

CS805 Jun 12, 2019 01:19 PM
TSA Pre-Check at the SB Airport?

The dedicated TSA line at SBA isn't used that often. Usually just during the bank of early flights in the morning. When that line isn't in use, you get a card that allows you expedited screening through the normal line, and then to use the regular metal detector vs the body-scanner. Does not save a ton of time at SBA, but it's worth its weight in gold at a major airport.

a-1568957513 Jun 12, 2019 12:17 PM
TSA Pre-Check at the SB Airport?

TSA-Pre has been at SBA for quite some time now and it's worth every cent. The other HUGE benefit by flying out of SBA is that you clear security way faster than any larger airport with or without TSA-Pre. By the time you factor in the value of your TIME to get to & from LAX to catch your initial flight, SBA is well worth the extra even if changing planes or even airlines. SBA checks your luggage all the way through and there's no hassle save for maybe having to change terminals at LX when you arrive from SBA. The cost of: SB Airbus,Central Coast Shuttle, limo services, etc., renting a car, driving your own car & then either paying for parking at or near LAX, &/or paying to stay at a hotel for the "free" parking really adds up in the end vs starting & ending at SBA. Again, what your time worth?!

a-1568957513 Jun 12, 2019 02:09 PM
TSA Pre-Check at the SB Airport?

Be careful with that "checks your luggage all the way through" stuff. I let an insistent SBA "agent" stick my one carry-on bag in with the luggage----much against my protests and better judgment. Bad, rainy weather delayed flights. When I got to San Francisco, my luggage got left behind while I flew on to Norway. Two days and nights without my luggage. Thank heavens I'd had the foresight to pack my valuables and many necessities along with me in my daypack.

tagdes Jun 12, 2019 12:13 PM
TSA Pre-Check at the SB Airport?

I've flown out 3 times in the last year and once no one in either line, once one only in the regular line and the third time, 3 in front in front of me waiting for our PreCheck to open with no one in the regular line. Also regular line is directly at the top of the escalator whereas you have to walk around to the right for PreCheck. Caveat could be that I get there at suggested 1 hour for local flights rather than the last 45 minutes to 1/2 hour. It was worth it at other US airports, but it does no good in Costa Rica or Panama as they don't have it there. You save the most time if no carry on or pre checking your luggage by loading your boarding pass to your phone or printing it out.

Factotum Jun 12, 2019 12:01 PM
TSA Pre-Check at the SB Airport?

A mobile van is coming to the airport in the near future, so you don't have to travel for a face to face PreCheck interview - check out the Trusted Traveler website for more details.