Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking title=
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

Photo: SBCFD

By edhat staff

A 41-year-old male suffered major injuries during an accident while mountain biking in Orcutt on Monday.

The incident took place around 1:30 p.m. near Orcutt Road and Rice Ranch Road on private property.

Santa Barbara County Fire Department reports the cyclist fell from his bike while mountain biking on trails and may have a spinal cord injury.

He was treated on the scene by firefighters and paramedics and flown to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital via Calstar helictoper for further treatment.

Flicka May 22, 2019 04:47 PM
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

I have a friend with ambulance insurance. In a recent accident she had to go by ambulance, quite a distance. The ambulance bill would have been $4,600. Hope this man in the bike accident will recover fully.

a-1566155330 May 21, 2019 10:36 AM
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

EASTBEACH (sorry, Roger, to hijack your report). What is air ambulance insurance? For instance, if you have a car wreck and you are rescued and flown to the hospital, do you pay for that, thus, air ambulance insurance? Do you also pay for the ambulance if by ground? This is all new to me, and it is interesting.

jimbo212 May 22, 2019 01:12 PM
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

Air ambulance transportation may already be covered by your health insurance, you should check your policy before spending money on redundant insurance. My health insurance covers air ambulance as well as ground ambulance transportation.

EastBeach May 21, 2019 10:26 PM
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

It's insurance to cover your expenses in case you need to be airlifted for medical care. My friends use AirMedCare which has many providers all over the country including Calstar which operates a number of bases in CA including Santa Maria. Cost is $85/yr for your entire family and $65 if you're a senior (60+). Ground ambulance and out-of-network flight providers are not covered. If you have existing insurance coverage that covers airlift then it is primary and AirMedCare covers the rest. If you have no insurance coverage, they pay everything. There is a Medicare caveat which I haven't looked into. In my spare time, I do a fair amount of hiking/camping/offroading in remote locations in the west/southwest so this coverage is apropos. I also carry an InReach satellite messenger. For more info ...... https://calstar.org/membership/

PitMix May 21, 2019 01:19 PM
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

If your insurance does not cover the transport, you can be hit with a bill of 1000s of $ for the air ambulance. And when you are injured, it is hard to verify that you are covered. There are stories of people taking an Uber to the emergency room rather than going in the AMR vehicle because of this.

Roger May 21, 2019 09:23 AM
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

I heard it but did not know where it was he could not move but felt no pain and did not loss consciousness though he went over the handle bars and landed on his head. Sounds like the same injury I had except I was numb pins and needles from head to toe for sometime. I hope he is Ok and doesn't have nerve damage.

EastBeach May 21, 2019 10:13 AM
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

Landing on head is the worst. Newer bike helmets with low-friction liners (e.g. MIPS) will help reduce torque on the neck but still no guarantees. This is a reminder for me to buy air ambulance insurance. A few friends have it, it's not that expensive.

EastBeach May 21, 2019 09:13 AM
Cyclist Suffers Major Injuries While Mountain Biking

Hope he's going to be OK. Looks like he was riding in the Orcutt Hills (beginner and intermediate trails out there). You can see the trail marker for the Valley View trail in this photo ...... https://santamariatimes.com/news/local/injured-bicyclist-transported-out-of-orcutt-hills-by-helicopter/article_9ffcfbd0-04ba-5a13-8ae7-a6462ce3ac2e.html