Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

By an edhat reader

A Cox outage in Carpinteria is going on 2 days. They said it would be up by 6 pm yesterday and still nothing. Now they are saying midnight. Does anyone know why it’s out? Cox isn’t giving answers.

SB Barbarian May 21, 2019 05:14 PM
Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

I am the designated "Cox Guru" for four households in my family. I have been dealing with Cox since they first got their monopoly in SB in the 70's. As a customer, either I or my family members have encountered almost everything that can go wrong with Cox. I had a rep admit the other day that they had been experience email problems with Apple Mail customers. The explanation is that "it has something to do with Outlook". Outlook is a Windows mail system. Competence established. When I pressed him, the bottom line was that they had no clue what was wrong., and it continues to this day on multiple devices. A few suggestions: 1) If the tech rep either does not understand your problem, or says your problem cannot be fixed remotely without SPECIFICALLY telling you why, immediately and politely ask for a supervisor. You will be told it will be a long wait, but wait. I have found that the phone answerers can't solve problems because all they suggest is everything you have already done. If the supervisor can't help, hang up and call Cox Tech Support again. They will ask if this is about what you just called about, and you will get someone quickly (relatively). I have found that about 80% of the time, the second supervisor knows how to fix it. All supervisors are not equally experienced or knowledgeable about their own systems. 2) Even if you problem is resolved, and especially if it isn't - as someone already suggested, demand to talk to the loyalty department whose job is to retain disgruntled customers by either fixing the problem, giving rebates (I usually get $25, but got $100 once), or offering better pricing on your package if it is two years or older. 3) Cut everything but internet and phone service (it's cheaper if you get them both, even if you don't have a landline). Get a Roku or Amazon Fire, or some other device and save about $100-$150 per month, as we have. I pay abot $100 for the next to fastest internet speed (which I don't get) and a landline, including taxes. When you cut cable, you will eliminate $19 in broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, ABC, FOX) and Regional Sports Channels (Even if you pay for the "Sports Pak". We are being "gouged" by Cox at every turn (Check what they charge for your boxes, including your DVR, plus the DVR SERVICE which is a separate charge. That's about $20-$35 right there. If AT&T gets internet service in SB, Cox better have a backup plan, since I am not aware of one Cox "fan". You DO NOT get what you pay for. I have noticed that every time I open my online account, there is a message stating "There is currently an outing in your area. We are working to fix it". Every time, so I guess that is the default position. I long for the day that I pay my last Cox bill and never do business witht them again.

EastBeach May 21, 2019 09:23 AM
Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

FYI Cox has an app that allows you to check for outages and receive a text when an outage is over ........ https://www.cox.com/residential/support/outages.html

lopezmr22 May 21, 2019 07:54 AM
Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

Cox is garbage for providing customers with up-to-date information. They have told me that they do not send notifications when they plan to do routine work on their infrastructure which can sometimes cause outages. I PRAY we get another provider in SB, but it’s unlikely.

a-1569169988 May 21, 2019 12:53 AM
Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

Lower Riviera area. In past few weeks we had so much trouble with our Cox internet, it was a complete drag. Talk about enforced drug withdrawal, it really was being denied our constant fix. "Jarring" makes it sound only somewhat awful. It was having one's life turned upsidedown. Couldn't look up anything, couldn't do any work or homework, couldn't email people or receive email, couldn't stream movies or watch YouTube. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. We had the tech guy out and things were still wonky for a few days after that. Now all is fine. When your Cox internet goes out, call and get onto "the loyalty department" and at least get some type of rebate back. It doesn't dull the pain much, but it's better than just gnashing one's teeth about it and feeling like you got taken.

Luvaduck May 21, 2019 08:23 AM
Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

Does this mean you're an addict? ;-) If so, get a 'fix' at any coffee shop elsewhere or a sports bar if that's your major interest, or a nursing home if it's "As the Stomach Turns" and such. The colleges may have TV lounges, too. Hate to see you suffer. The Cox monopoly must stop. I think their ownership is "granted" by a county or city agency. That would be the place to start.

Nature Boy May 20, 2019 08:08 PM
Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

Sometimes there isn’t a “reason” that a phone jockey can articulate. Sometimes it’s just that “with a huge all-encompassing technology, it sometimes breaks”. I’d be less worried about the technical reason and more worried about WHEN you’ll get it back! Believe me, i feel your pain. My mom’s internet AND cable went out for a night while i was visiting, and it was jarring! We rely on it so much. Anyway, did Cox say whether the outage was just you, or a street/neighborhood/city-wide outage?

a-1569169988 May 20, 2019 11:57 AM
Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

No outages Cal trans cut fiber, and closed road Sunday Everything is back up, might be individual issue...

a-1569169988 May 20, 2019 09:22 AM
Cox Cable Outage Going on 2 Days

We aren’t in Carp but, we have had A LOT of trouble with Cox in general the last two months... not sure what is going on. We are in San Roque area. Hope it’s up & running for you soon!!