Funk Zone Parking Poll title=

By edhat staff

On Tuesday (4/23), Santa Barbara's City Council meeting will vote on whether the Funk Zone should have metered parking.

Santa Barbara released their Funk Zone Access and Parking Assessment Study which recommends strategic actions to improve access and optimize the use of parking resources.

According to the study, it found that "while the existing parking supply is sufficient, utilization is unbalanced. The most convenient parking is free, and often congested, while parking that is farther away requires payment. In addition to prioritizing parking needs, local stakeholders want to create a safe and inviting neighborhood that retains its funky character and encourages use of alternative transportation."

The study recommends action items such as metered parking, removing illegal signage of public parking for private parking, extend nighttime parking hours, add employee parking permits and new employee parking spaces, add a downtown shuttle stop, add pickup/dropoff zones for ride sharing, and more. The council's agenda report can be found here.

Do you think parking in the Funk Zone should be metered? Vote in our poll below:

Past Articles

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 02:34 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

And ppl wonder why there is such an obesity problem in the US. People can't walk 4 or 5 blocks to go drink their beer and wine and eat their salty fattening foods? It's like people who fight for a close parking spot at the gym.

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 02:29 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Meters will not solve the problem. I lived near a city/town similar in size to SB (maybe even smaller) and the merchants continued to complain about parking problems even after meters were installed. In effect, the meters actually deterred people from parking especially residents and even tourists. People just went elsewhere. The parking problems still drove away business, probably worse once meters were installed.

RICHalaskan Apr 24, 2019 12:26 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

I say make funk zone parking 90 minutes, put in signs directing to existing parking lots, AND if bike rentals are allowed to use space for dropoff/pickup then they have a maximum number and must also valet service individual's bikes for free.

RHS Apr 24, 2019 09:58 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

A really bad example of city bureaucracy at work. The major issue is the promise of a 1/4$ annually from revenue. It is unneeded as the survey notes that only about 3/4 of the spaces are in use at a given moment. And of course there is the greed of the landlords and business people who want the spaces for their "customers" as though that were the purpose of public streets. And, if there is need to stop private co option of public spaces simply remove the signage claiming such. This can be done under existing law (and should have been done long ago). Leave well enough alone. PS My wife and I go to the Funk Zone (stupid name) fairly often and never have not found parking for our purposes.

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 09:56 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

With sea level rise, the Funk Zone patrons will be needing boats and docks.

LoveMySB Apr 24, 2019 09:46 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

What's wrong with 75 or 90-minute parking like other business area's of this city? Parking meters are ugly.

Concerned4Calif Apr 24, 2019 08:40 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Its all about money. Every other thing they say is just an excuse to get more money.

PitMix Apr 24, 2019 08:27 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

I parked my car in the funk zone for free all day to catch the train when the 101 was closed after the debris flow. That was probably a big pain for the merchants in the area as a lot of people were doing it. The meters would have cut down on that action.

a-1566630093 Apr 25, 2019 07:21 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

If you take Amtrak, you get a reduced rate at the city lot next door to the station. It’s like $2 per day. We always have the Amtrak clerk date stamp the back of our parking ticket. Added benefit - if your return train arrives at night, the parking attendant has gone home and your parking is free.

Phantom Blot Apr 24, 2019 07:32 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Seattle uses an app system called PayByPhone in many areas and a system similar to our current waterfront "Pay Here" and put the sticker in your window in other areas. No meters anywhere. The phone app lets you know when your time is about up and you can add more time from wherever you are. Each block and side of street has a 5 digit number. Very efficient and non-obtrusive system. You can use it to find your vehicle. I lost mine for 2 days during Fiesta one year.......

tagdes Apr 24, 2019 09:10 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Ed removed all the multiples, not a matter of not liking it. Once is fine, but one shouldn't have to scroll through ten posts, five of the same twice to find the next pertinent one.

tagdes Apr 24, 2019 11:08 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

How about you quit posting everything 4 or 5 times.

Potif Apr 24, 2019 11:07 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

I don't have a 'smart' phone. Just an old fashioned flip phone. So it doesn't matter to me what the cost is for a smart phone.

biguglystick Apr 24, 2019 10:07 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Totally agree. Smart phone fees are NOT a good idea. This is not fair for people who cannot afford a smart phone. My iphone costs me $100 a month! Living is damned expensive. If we HAVE to pay for parking, let it be a way that isn't invasive or inaccessable for portions of the community.

RHS Apr 24, 2019 10:00 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Or what about those who do not want a "smart phone ap" spying on them and collecting data and imposing intrusions into their lives? Really the ease with which people sell their privacy is remarkable.

PitMix Apr 24, 2019 08:21 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

I pay $45 a month for unlimited calls, texts, and data. Never have run out of battery power. I guess your points are a consideration but really how much do they happen?

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 08:03 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

And for those who can’t afford a $150/month for a smart phone? Or who have a dead battery? Or can’t find their phone? Then what?? A $60 ticket?

euvnairb Apr 24, 2019 07:23 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

I don't understand why people just don't park in the lots on cabrillo, like next to the skate park or the lot near the Fish House, or the lot near the train station. There's always parking in these lots and it sure beats the hassle of trying to find a spot in the funk zone.

tagdes Apr 24, 2019 09:06 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Um, the street parking is free now that's why they're talking about the meters. try to grasp what is being discussed here.

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 04:25 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

TAGDES. Your most excellent reply made me laugh so hard my housemate asked me "What's so funny?"

letmego Apr 24, 2019 04:06 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Um, they aren't free? At least, the ones along the waterfront aren't.

tagdes Apr 24, 2019 11:34 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Maybe because most people would rather park in front or around the corner for free, rather than pay and have to walk 4 or 5 blocks.

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 12:04 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Re: chalking of tires: I thought our Parking Enforcement Officers had some new-fangled computerized way of "marking" tires invisibly. Anyone heard about this? I thought the change took place years ago.

tagdes Apr 24, 2019 11:06 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Not a change as they only have one of them but it did happen years ago. It's just a cart with multiple cameras that photograph you instead of chalking. Importantly they move it around to different areas from the beach to San Roque.......so remember, no chalk mark.....doesn't mean you're safe.

NotReallyDave Apr 23, 2019 08:31 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

I have one for you. Today the parking enforcers wrote multiple tickets on Salsipuedes Street. One of them told me that if a vehicle is chalked on the tire, it necessary to move the vehicle to another block in order to not get a ticket. Moving it to a nearby space will get you a $96. 00 ticket. Is this a new regulation? You have been warned.

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 04:30 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

8:09 a.m. Thanks for making me smile. I can't tell you the source, but I do know that I once heard an police officer say, "Flashing lights on a car parked illegally is like saying 'Come ticket me. Come ticket me.'" I often think of that quip when I see people parked in the red or yellow or across someone's driveway, etc. with vehicle lights flashing.

biguglystick Apr 24, 2019 10:10 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

100%! I got TWO tickets because a meter maid saw me move my car. I fought the tickets, went down to the police station, endured a very condescending interview with an "official" there, and he denied me entirely and I had to pay near $100 for this b.s. Made my blood boil. This city's parking enforcement is getting ridiculous! If you move your car over to the other side of the street THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH!

ZeroHawk Apr 24, 2019 09:43 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

it started there and is already in the california system working its way through. it's a domino effect.... they have also stated that use surveillance equipment is just the same as marking a tired. :) this makes me happy. i receive unwarranted tickets for parking in front of my home. even with a parking sticker! They constantly harass us. Juanita has torn up countless tickets because her goon squad likes to mess with locals. we live and work here...go after tourists and leave us alone!

PitMix Apr 24, 2019 08:23 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Moving is moving, I can't believe there is a distance associated with it. Even one space over should be enough. Definitely not anything in the ordinances that I can find about this.

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 08:09 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

What are parking facts? There appears to be new undisclosed rules, perhaps unwritten rules. Can someone post? I got a $59 ticket for flashing light quick parking while helping a 90 year old from my car into building lobby to wait while I went to park the car. There was no white drop off only yellow commercial. My flashing car there less than 4 minutes: he shuffle walked slow. What is process for dropping off disabled or old-old frail?

a-1566630093 Apr 24, 2019 12:02 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

NOTREALLYDAVE. Nothing new about this, Dave. I think it was back in the 70s that my then 50-year-old Mother saw a chalk mark on her tire on Cota St. She proceeded to move her vehicle up to another space and got an even heftier citation. She was pretty bent out of shape about it, but I don't believe she ever argued it in court.

ParvoPup Apr 23, 2019 09:26 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Don't mean to wet your Cheerios, but that ruling only applies to the Federal Court District 6 which covers the states of Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee. The rest of have to wait for the Appellate ruling.

a-1566630093 Apr 23, 2019 09:01 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Chalking car tires to enforce parking rules is unconstitutional under the Fourth Amendment, a federal appeals court has ruled. Court Rules Chalking Tires for Parking Enforcement is ... www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-04-23/court-rules-chalking-tires-for-parking-enforc….

a-1566630093 Apr 23, 2019 01:59 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Uber to Funk Zone or skip it until there are shuttles from lots. SB needs more breakeven parking all over town, especially Eastside, including in the Funk Zone. I’ve driven there to meet friends for lunch, no one can find parking, so we head over to meet at Hilton Doubletree with plenty of free parking plus 20% off food and bar prices for locals.

a-1566630093 Apr 23, 2019 12:30 PM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

In my 50 years of licensed driving, I only ever received two parking citations. The first was when I was in my late teens and I had parked in Ventura and didn't notice the parking meter. Surprise. (We never had meters in my hometown of SB.) 2nd ticket was in Westwood, when I was in my early 20s. My friends and I got back to our car to see we still had a few minutes left on the meter, but there was the citation, slipped under the windshield wiper. Parking meters are ugly and odious.

a-1566630093 Apr 23, 2019 11:53 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Next will be the Waterfront Department raising the parking fees, the hourly ones and the annual pass that is so popular with the funk zone employees. One of the arguments will be that the city has raised the cost of parking so the waterfront lots should keep pace. Just watch....

SBCountyLocal Apr 23, 2019 11:35 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Poll Doesn't Tell the Real Story. Check out the article below: https://www.edhat.com/news/funk-zone-changes

a-1566630093 Apr 23, 2019 11:54 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Your opinion piece doesn't tell the real story either. Reading the city agenda and parking study provides more insight.

REX OF SB Apr 23, 2019 10:41 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

God, doesn't the City Council have anything better to do? They seem to not be happy unless they'r doing something guaranteed to piss people off.

Ehdat Apr 24, 2019 08:38 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

City Council is there to make decisions when citizens demand action of their government. Sometimes that action pisses off other citizens.

a-1566630093 Apr 23, 2019 10:58 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

Err... I mean offshore concentration camps.

a-1566630093 Apr 23, 2019 10:57 AM
Funk Zone Parking Poll

That's the charm of local politics, REX. Parking freedoms while restricting what your neighbour can do are what the local denizens really care about... oh, and shipping the homeless to concentration offshore camps.